Insanity and calorie intake??

Options
Hello all! I started Insanity two weeks ago and was eating about 1800 calories a day for the first week. I realized that I wasnt giving my body the nutrients it needed because I started to feel weak and hungry ALL the time so i went into my elite nutrition guide that I got with insanity and I used the Harris Benedict Equation as they instructed with a fitness level of 1.55 to 1.7 like they suggested. I am a 5 foot 9 inch male and I calculated to lose weight I need to eat aboout 2400 calories. This seems a bit high to me. Can this be right? I'm just afraid of messing up my calorie intake doing so much hard work and ending up with less than maximum results. Beach Body coaches I know you're out there! Please help ease my mind! Thank you :)

Replies

• mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have similar questions as you. I just started week 4 yesterday. The nutrition guide tells me I should be eating 1900, which I think is high. I've been doing 1700. Haven't seen any results yet though (and maybe the 1700 calories is why), but I've heard that sometimes not alot happens in month 1 which is why I am being patient. I am considering bumping my calories to the 1900 for month 2 though since it is even more intense.

I also am "scared" of eating too much (or too little) while working my butt off on this program and ending up with no results because of that.

I'd love some input as well.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just finished this weekend. The guide had me eating at 1800 but I could never eat that... I went to 1500 (I'm 5 2, 43 female, and started at 160). I ended up losing 13 lbs and 5 inches off my waist at 1500 cals (I had been eating the mythical 1200 before Insanity and it wasn't working too much). I started seeing the loss about week 3, but it did ramp up in Month 2... I started feeling much hungrier in Month 2.. that first week I was ravenous.

I'd say play with your calories a bit - take the calculation as a guide. If you are hungry or out of energy, eat more. If you feel like you are jamming yourself with food to make a number, don't do it. There are days that I felt I didn't do my workout as hard because I didn't eat right the day before, but I never felt like it was a metabolism issue.

I will say, however, more important that calories... make sure you get enough protein, eat complex carbs (quinoa, barley, brown rice, sweet potato) with dinner if you work out in the morning, and do try to do the 5 small meal a day thing. I really saw a difference with those changes more than the calories. When I was "on point" with these things is when I lost the most.