Breaking the cycle....

Options
Any suggestions on how to change habits... Everyday I ruin my really good diet as soon as I walk through the door at home. I instantly feel hungry and go for rubbish junk sugary foods. It clicked today that I've actually done this since I was a young child coming home from school... I'd always have a snack as soon as I've walked through the door but since the age of probably around 12/13 this has become a mini binge. Every day I say I won't today but even though I do amazingly throughout the day as soon as I walk through that door I fail... Any suggestions on how to address this???

Help please....

Replies

• kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i relate to this based on my own life and habits, and i will say this is a big challenge! you can change though, and your self awareness about the problem is the first step.

the following have helped me in the past:

1. eat a snack before getting home so you are not ravenous, or plan out a healthy snack for when you get home. it has helped me to make this snack ahead of time and put it in a ziploc baggie or tupperware so i'm not tempted to eat a bunch of junk.

2. change your routine. for example, when you get home, have a healthy snack and then do something like go to the gym, read a book, call a friend, or some other non-food activity that would help you relax.

3. remind yourself that this habit is something you have been doing for a long, long time, so be kind to yourself. remind yourself that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, and maybe think about keeping track of your progress toward changing this particular habit.

i hope some of that is a bit helpful! i'm always here for support if you need to talk :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing - I have to eat right when I get home. I don't know if my solution is actually feasible for you, but I try to stay out until later so I eat later. I go to the library, run errands, go for a walk. I live by myself, so there's no one waiting for me to come home, but it has helped a lot to stem munching before "dinner time" at 6:30-7.
  • bennzz61
    bennzz61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First off don't have those sugary or salty treats in the house if they are such a temptation. If you must have them for others how about sticking them in the freezer so that they aren't ready to eat right away giving you the time to talk yourself out of eating them. Secondly have a few healthy snack choices on hand. If you like veggies and dip make up some mock sour cream and onion but use plain Greek yogurt and dried onions, they'll plump up in the yogurt, or use salsa.

I make my meals on Sunday so that there is no thought when I get home. This week it is a salad with the works. I use arugala simply because it doesn't disintegrate and go bad quickly, I think it's a drier sort of lettuce. I measure it in my big salad bowl, put a half of a piece of paper towel in the baggie so that it sops up any moisture and then put in my salad with the red onion, brocoli, grape tomatos (uncut), and any other veggies or toppies. Then when I'm ready to eat I just pour it into the bowl, add the dressing and there's no waiting. In the winter it's more like soups, casseroles, etc., again all divided into containers so that I know how much is a portion.

This works for me. I like the other ideas here like breaking out of that routine and taking a walk or such. Also, my nutritionist (when I saw one) told me to try and cut out any sweeteners lik those Mio squirts for my drinks or those Crystal Light powders. If you keep drinking those types of drinks you will keep craving sugar. Try to swap in fruit (I know, easier said than done), dried plums/pruins can be yummy and sweet, drink your water and float some fruit or a slice of cucumber, maybe a piece of fresh peppermint leaf.

Good luck, keep trying, we're all in the same boat.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've struggled to break the same pattern for a long time and it took me a while to realize that I was ravenous by dinner because I wasn't eating enough during the day. So after nearly starving all day it was time to put my eating dress on when I got home ;) Having more meals/snacks during the day, especially in the afternoon or when I get home.

The biggest key to success I had with it was having a variety of quick and healthy snacks that were eithe already prepped for the week or take little time to have ready. It's an ongoing work in progress but you can definitely break the cycle!
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Take a healthy snack with you to work so you can eat it on the way home. When you get home grab the kids and take them for a walk, to play in the park, to ride bikes, to play catch in the front yard, something. It's great bonding time and starts training your kids not to binge in the afternoon too.
    My kids are older so they are at work, a friends, dance or soccer when I get home so I walk the dog or mow the lawn or something like that. Even a half hour of light activity kills my need to binge.
    Oh yea, get the sugary snacks out of the house if at all possible - i realize that is easier said than done with kids around.
  • Junkergal
    Junkergal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Every day walked in the back door directly into the kitchen and went right to the cupboard or fridge.
    I changed my routine and came in the front door and avoided the kitchen until time to make supper. I also would graze thru the supper making process so started putting gum in my mouth before I even started. It helped stop the mindless eating.
    Good luck.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've had similar habits (especially at that time of day) and for me the biggest thing that helped me to break the binging cycle was / is to never let myself get hungry. I learned to eat frequently throughout the day, pre-log my food each day so I can keep track of how much I have left to work with (you can always change it; it's not written in stone) and most importantly I set my calorie allowance as high as I can while still eating at a deficit. I've unfortunately had to learn from failed experience after failed experience that as a binge eater, the worst thing I can do is let myself get hungry.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Thank you... all really helpful suggestions and they are much appreciated. My little one is only 3 so when I get in he needs some kind of snack immediately whilst I cook his dinner else he's crying as too hungry. Might try the pre preparing food to snack on whilst I'm doing his tea - pottering around kitchen. I may also try eating before I leave work or even just have a shake.

I think I end up trying to 'save' my calories for dinner so I can eat with family but end up hungry when I walk through the door (along with my habitual behaviour) and end up doing a mini binge and then having dinner anyway which actually counteracts everything.