Breaking the cycle...

Options
2»

Replies

• ashleachrysafis
    Options

I started my first response before yours got posted, so it wasn't a matter of me ignoring your followup. It just wasn't there when I wrote what I wrote.

That said, I stand by what I've said. Additionally, talk to your partner about your struggles and try to get them to work with you. They may not even know they're currently part of the problem. You don't have to do this alone, and you'll be more likely to be successful if you have some support from the people you live with.

If they are really stubborn, tell them it's a temporary thing, until you can kick the cravings. Then you can reintroduce their favorite snacks occasionally. In the meantime, they can keep it at work, or somewhere you can't get to.

Changing your diet, especially something like this, isn't that much different from trying to quit any other addiction - you can't just "moderate" the thing you're addicted to. You have to stop it completely. Only once you've done that and conquered the cravings, can you consider reintroducing it at a moderate level. It's much easier to do this when it's not even available to you, especially at the beginning, when the habit and cravings are still embedded.

Haha funny thing is I work with substance misuse addiction... not so easy when looking at yourself ... lol
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I live alone so I just keep things out of the house that I know I can't resist. Maybe you could put a sticky note on the snacks that you run to, and put a motivational saying on it. Maybe that would help you to stop and think about if you really want that snack. I have a friend who put a picture on her fridge and she said she looks at that before she opens the door and thinks about if she is really hungry or just bored. To my surprise, the picture she used was my "Before and In progress" picture! knowing that she did that makes me think about what I eat even more now, because I want to get to my goal so I can give her an updated picture!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My son does have healthy treats but we keep it in the snack draw as then he feels he's getting a treat... this was our way of getting him to have healthy snacks - however this is the same place I've given my partner as her designated snack / rubbish drawer.

Has anyone got some good snack ideas that may help??

(For the sweet tooth)
    Grapes
    Apples
    Pineapples
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Pears
    1oz dark chocolate (the darker the better, 75-85% tends to be pretty good without being too bitter)

(For actual hunger)
    Yogurt (could be both, really, just watch the sugar content)
    Peanut butter or some other nut butter (watch the additives)
    A slice of bacon and an egg
    Bulletproof coffee
    Avocado
    Carrots/celery and cream cheese/hummus
  • Healthier68
    Options
    How about changing the habit?
    You said you come home from work and basically head for a snack. How about heading for a walk?

Instead of going in the house as soon as you get home, keep a pair of walking shoes and an apple in the car and go for a short walk (15 min) - eat your apple while you are out on your stroll - before you go in the house. This will get you a snack, bit of physical activity, and it will give you time to clear your head before you go in.

I have the same problem - I want to head for food when I come in the door. Even with healthy food in the house, I feel like a can eat a whole meal before I get dinner. Going for a walk gives me time to gain control before I walk in the kitchen.

Don't fool yourself either into feeling like you need to run in the house and get dinner/laundry/housecleaning etc. done - take 15 minutes for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I started my first response before yours got posted, so it wasn't a matter of me ignoring your followup. It just wasn't there when I wrote what I wrote.

That said, I stand by what I've said. Additionally, talk to your partner about your struggles and try to get them to work with you. They may not even know they're currently part of the problem. You don't have to do this alone, and you'll be more likely to be successful if you have some support from the people you live with.

If they are really stubborn, tell them it's a temporary thing, until you can kick the cravings. Then you can reintroduce their favorite snacks occasionally. In the meantime, they can keep it at work, or somewhere you can't get to.

Changing your diet, especially something like this, isn't that much different from trying to quit any other addiction - you can't just "moderate" the thing you're addicted to. You have to stop it completely. Only once you've done that and conquered the cravings, can you consider reintroducing it at a moderate level. It's much easier to do this when it's not even available to you, especially at the beginning, when the habit and cravings are still embedded.

Haha funny thing is I work with substance misuse addiction... not so easy when looking at yourself ... lol

Well, isn't the first step in most of the programs something along the lines of "admitting you have a problem"? It's often the hardest precisely because you have to look at yourself and admit that you need to make a change. :)
  • Toddrundgren
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to change habits... Everyday I ruin my really good diet as soon as I walk through the door at home. I instantly feel hungry and go for rubbish junk sugary foods. It clicked today that I've actually done this since I was a young child coming home from school... I'd always have a snack as soon as I've walked through the door but since the age of probably around 12/13 this has become a mini binge. Every day I say I won't today but even though I do amazingly throughout the day as soon as I walk through that door I fail... Any suggestions on how to address this???

Help please....

I think the fact that you figured this out is really big! Your brain may be telling you it's ready for a new routine!!

I am starting to find that I can wait until dinner to eat -- that being hungry until then is okay -- that I really won't starve, you know? But the key seems to be remembering that BEFORE grabbing something unhealthy right away without thinking! These old habits are really ingrained and will take time to be lost. Hang in there and keep trying!
  • sheldercat
    Options
    I call my lack of self control my inner brat, I gave her a name: Veruka after the brat in Willy Wonka. I read about this on another web site and I believe there is a whole book on the subject. Anyway, when ever Veruka begins to throw a hissy the adult me has a mental conversation in attempts to calm her down. I attempt to negotiate (if you take a walk with the dogs you can have that for dessert) or you can have three bites but you must get up and walk away (change the laundry over, feed the cat, wipe the bathroom mirror etc. ) between each bite. I know it sounds crazy, but whenI separate myself from myr cravings it seems to give me more control. Good luck :)
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    I call my lack of self control my inner brat, I gave her a name: Veruka after the brat in Willy Wonka. I read about this on another web site and I believe there is a whole book on the subject. Anyway, when ever Veruka begins to throw a hissy the adult me has a mental conversation in attempts to calm her down. I attempt to negotiate (if you take a walk with the dogs you can have that for dessert) or you can have three bites but you must get up and walk away (change the laundry over, feed the cat, wipe the bathroom mirror etc. ) between each bite. I know it sounds crazy, but whenI separate myself from myr cravings it seems to give me more control. Good luck :)

Thats really good!! good idea... I like it =) will try this.
  • reasg3911
    reasg3911 Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't know if it's at all mental for you, but I know that I tend to eat what I've been thinking about eating. If I start to think about what sweets I want to eat when I get home for school or work, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'm going to eat sweets. If I have something else I'm planning to eat and I think about that instead, it's a pretty sure thing that I'll end up eating that. It's sure sounds easier than it is though. I only managed to stop overeating about a week ago, and I really couldn't tell you what finally triggered this change. Good luck!

Thank you for your helpful suggestion... will definitely try giving this a go... do you have alternatives to eat?

Nothing in particular. I've just been trying to eat smaller meals every three hours, whether I find myself feeling particularly hungry or not. It's definitely helpful to try to plan ahead (at least somewhat) for the day. For me, it's easier to stop thinking about sweets and think about what I planned to eat than to try to come up with a meal/snack to replace my sweets craving.