Best way to lose when you are already at a healthy weight

Options
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could speak from experience on this subject. I am 5'4, 20 years old, and currently 124 lbs. my highest weight was 135, so no I was never obese nor overweight, just unhappy with my appearance and very unhealthy. Right now I'm eating no processed foods, no added sugars, moderate to low carbs, and doing moderate exercise 4-5 times a week and some strength training. So my question is What's the best way for me to lose about 12 more lbs? 'In other words, I know when you are very overweight your body sheds pounds easier than when you are at a healthy weight, so what can I do to combat this?

Replies

• newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that 112 lbs would be a healthy weight for you?
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    Well that's the last weight I remember being when I was happy with my body. I'm not stuck on that number, if I get to 117 and I feel like that's enough then ill go into maintaining. My NSV is fitting into size 4 jeans and I'm a size 6 currently, nothing too drastic
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'd focus more on toning and less on the number, if I were you. That can help you get to your NSV while not necessarily getting you to that number.

I know everyone's bodies are different, but I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 130. These hips aren't ever getting down to a 4. :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly is the best way, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week or if you do the TDEE method do TDEE - 10%. To ensure that most of the weight loss is from fat, keep the deficit small, as suggested above;
    lift heavy *kitten*, take part in a strength training program;
    Get adequate protein intake, aim for a minimum of 1gram per lb of lean body mass, if you don't know your bf% aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight.

Also by losing slow you may end up having a higher goal weight than losing fast as your BF% will be lower at each weight on the scale, you may actually look better at 118 than you did at 112, due to having more lean muscle.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Was that more than two years ago? If so, you're a woman now, you can't get back to the weight or look you were when you weren't one. Unless you were overweight then, but by the sounds of it, you weren't.
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think just toning, you can weigh the same but lose inches if that's what you're looking for.
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What about your body are you unhappy with? Is it ‘flabby arms’? The fact that you would prefer to be in the 110 – 120 range? That you are pear/apple shaped?

Just looking for a little more specifics because while 112 is TECHNICALLY in your healthy weight range, even if you get to 112, if the fact that you think you have ‘flabby arms’ is the issue, while there will be less of you, if you lose muscle mass, those ‘flabby arms’ will get worse.
  • lms1220
    Options
    It was, but I've essentially had the same height/body shape since I was 14. I understand what you're saying though. That's why I'm not stuck on the number so much. I fit into size 4 jeans in fall 2011 so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to after I lose more lbs of fat
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First find out what your body fat percentage is because you might not be able to lose that much. Kroger has a free digital fat analyzer. It's the same machine with the blood pressure cuff in the pharmacy section. Anyways you can use that or go to your doc to find out. Women are not supposed to be below 10% bf and normal range for fit women is 14 %- 24% http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/ (you can check the chart out here) So if you find out your bf then you can calculate how much body fat you have to lose in the first place. It might be more than you thought or it could be you're already at the low end of it.

If you feel you are "skinny fat" you will have to weight train to gain muscles to obtain the toned look while eating clean.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could speak from experience on this subject. I am 5'4, 20 years old, and currently 124 lbs. my highest weight was 135, so no I was never obese nor overweight, just unhappy with my appearance and very unhealthy. Right now I'm eating no processed foods, no added sugars, moderate to low carbs, and doing moderate exercise 4-5 times a week and some strength training. So my question is What's the best way for me to lose about 12 more lbs? 'In other words, I know when you are very overweight your body sheds pounds easier than when you are at a healthy weight, so what can I do to combat this?

General answer to your question is slowly - set MFP for a .5 lb deficit & follow it.

Keying into the bolded section above - sounds like you might be more interested in weight training. How serious are you about "some strength training"? Many of my friends are all about the serious heavy lifting. I would recommend looking into that.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Was that more than two years ago? If so, you're a woman now, you can't get back to the weight or look you were when you weren't one. Unless you were overweight then, but by the sounds of it, you weren't.

I don't think that is true, I am 39 I weigh less now than I did in high school and I am a smaller size, I was not overweight in High school either, and I have had 4 kids
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Weight train.

I'm 5 ft 8 inches and I weigh about 142. When I'm weight training, that is a size 6. When I'm not weight training that is a 10. And, this is sizing of the same brand/style, etc., so it isn't vanity sizing.

There are lots of weight training folks on MFP who can give you advice. Another good source is Bodybuilding.com

You may not need to lose weight to look the way you want to, you may need to build more muscle.

Something I didn't realize: As we age, we tend to decrease in muscle mass naturally. Unless you actively work at it, you can be thin but flabby.

As for losing weight (I want to lose a few months because I do stairclimbing as a sport) here's what I"m doing:

Cutting out grains and replacing grains with vegetables. There is nothing "wrong" with grains, but vegetables are "bulkier" and I eat fewer calories naturally by eating veggies rather than grains.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is true, I am 39 and weigh less than I did in high school and wear a smaller size, and I wasn't overweight in high school either and I have had 4 kids
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly is the best way, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week or if you do the TDEE method do TDEE - 10%. To ensure that most of the weight loss is from fat, keep the deficit small, as suggested above;
    lift heavy *kitten*, take part in a strength training program;
    Get adequate protein intake, aim for a minimum of 1gram per lb of lean body mass, if you don't know your bf% aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight.

Also by losing slow you may end up having a higher goal weight than losing fast as your BF% will be lower at each weight on the scale, you may actually look better at 118 than you did at 112, due to having more lean muscle.

THIS! ^^
  • lms1220
    Options
    What about your body are you unhappy with? Is it ‘flabby arms’? The fact that you would prefer to be in the 110 – 120 range? That you are pear/apple shaped?

Just looking for a little more specifics because while 112 is TECHNICALLY in your healthy weight range, even if you get to 112, if the fact that you think you have ‘flabby arms’ is the issue, while there will be less of you, if you lose muscle mass, those ‘flabby arms’ will get worse.

I do have "problems areas" which I do focus on thru blogilates YouTube videos and strength training. I appreciate what your saying though, I'm not trying to lose the very small muscle mass I have to begin with
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Well that's the last weight I remember being when I was happy with my body. I'm not stuck on that number, if I get to 117 and I feel like that's enough then ill go into maintaining. My NSV is fitting into size 4 jeans and I'm a size 6 currently, nothing too drastic

and how tall/old were you then? you are now a woman not a child

You need to look in the mirror and not at the scale to find approval
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way ... if you had the body you currently had and the scale said 112 lbs, would you be happy. Being happy with your body is not just about a number, its about what you see. So don't worry so much about the number on the scale because though its and easy way to measure "healthy" its not the only way. Get in the gym, go running, ride your bike, put in some work, tone up add a little muscle and i'm sure you can be just as happy with whatever number the scale says. Good luck.
  • lms1220
    Options
    Weight train.

I'm 5 ft 8 inches and I weigh about 142. When I'm weight training, that is a size 6. When I'm not weight training that is a 10. And, this is sizing of the same brand/style, etc., so it isn't vanity sizing.

There are lots of weight training folks on MFP who can give you advice. Another good source is Bodybuilding.com

Wow that's good to know. Thank you!
  • lms1220
    Options
    Think of it this way ... if you had the body you currently had and the scale said 112 lbs, would you be happy. Being happy with your body is not just about a number, its about what you see. So don't worry so much about the number on the scale because though its and easy way to measure "healthy" its not the only way. Get in the gym, go running, ride your bike, put in some work, tone up add a little muscle and i'm sure you can be just as happy with whatever number the scale says. Good luck.

Good point. Thank you!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, lift heavy stuff. You will like the results! Look at threads like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky