Replies

• gogogo53
    gogogo53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I started where you are now! I had torn my achilles tendon and had to wear a boot for 19 weeks/24 hr a day/7 days a week. It was the longest 19 weeks ever! I slipped on something while in the boot and broke my nose. I didn't ever think I would ever get out of the boot. Please be caseful with your's! If you know someone that has a boot ~ borrow it and wear it at least at night. You will be suprised how much it will help! OK with saying that you can do it, say the heck with what anyone thinks or says! I never ever thought I would be where I am today. I was 260 lbs when I started. I have lost 69 lbs. I feel better than I have in so long. I'm 52 years old and even though it has come off slowly, for the first time in years I can honestly think I'm going to reach my goal and go past it. I set my goal for 100lbs because I didn't have faith that I could actually even loose that. Lift your head up and say the heck with everyone and what ever they think. You can do this and you will be so proud of yourself. Friend me if you'd like. :bigsmile:
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wish I could sweat, I never have, and that's bad. I pass out alot from heat, because I can't cool down. I have to walk in early morning,or after sun goes down. Can only go to functions where I can get out of heat when need be. I was about 8 years old when I found out that I didn't sweat. I was at state fair, passed out two times, and have had trouble all my life, so be thankful you do sweat.....
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I work out I also look gross an sweaty. So does everyone else! Don't sweat it! (Pun intended!) No one will judge you for trying to get yourself in shape! I have a lot of respect for the people I see working out (granted they are actually working out and not sitting around the gym trying to look cute.) You can do it!

And if you really are uncomfortable working out in public, try DVDs, or home workouts. Get some dumbbells and a yoga mat. Also, try fitnessblender.com. Love them
  • brelolita
    brelolita Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I had this app for awhile and decided to really start using it. I have been off and on in losing weight . I have the exercise down pack just need to start eating healthier. I started doing the slow carb this week. So far so good. I wish everyone sucess :)
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    If you're not ready to go in a public gym yet, then don't:) If you have extra money, invest in a used (or new, whatever) treadmill or other exercise machine until you're happy.
    Otherwise, find videos on YouTube such as Blogilates she's AMAZING. You have a professional fitness coach in your own home for free. How cool is that?

Then, when you're ready, try and hit the gym again. Don't think the gym is the only place you can work out:D

Edit: P.S, if you're gross and sweaty, you're doing it right.
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    When I work out I look gross and sweaty and I am so afraid to have people stare at me. My tummy prevents me from yoga poses and other things I would like to do. The feel of my own body jumping around bothers me. My feet problems and Achilles tendinitis make even walking a challenge. It's discouraging.

It sucks I know. I sweat like a lunatic and it's not even funny. But you know what? Your TRYING!! That's better than most people who aren't even getting off their *kitten* and putting the donuts down. Just remember your making a positive change for yourself and that's the end result. Doesn't matter what everyone else thinks.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. I have social anxiety - do you? I mean this in the nicest way - just get over it! There is nothing embarrassing about exercising and being sweaty. Nothing at all. Most people aren't even going to notice you, and I would bet everyone who does is going to have a positive reaction. What does it matter, anyway? Do it for YOU. Sweat washes off. Health and fitness do not. Get your workout on, get sweaty, then afterwards you can take a hot shower and enjoy your post-workout glow. If it makes you feel more confident, try to put together a couple of workout outfits that make you feel comfortable and cute.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    just do it put some headphones on block everyone out and concentrate on your goals in the end the reward will be awesome and you will be glad you did it a lot of those people you see also have the same insecurities.
  • the0th3rjen
    the0th3rjen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I completely feel your pain. I am normally the biggest person in the room. I sweat buckets. I don't have those adorable workout shorts and tanks. Belly fat slapping? That's me and it sucks, but no one can do this for me.

I am sure that the previous comments have said it all. but you must remember that you are running your own race. Those other people are just in the background to your workout. Tune out those distractions and learn how to modify your workouts, Yoga, etc to your body. Ask for help, if the instructor is worth anything, they can help you to adapt and prevent injury. Sometimes you just can't physically do what is being called for. Just keep at it and push and train your body. Or do something different. Water aerobics or DVD's are great ideas.

You are all the more awesome for getting out there and proving to yourself that you can do this.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a man in 100% humidity when I work out....and I DONT CARE - its not about what other people think - you are doing this for YOU. I don't really use a public gym - except the one at work - but I get in and out - I'm not there for social hour, I'm there to work out dangit. When I see someone just starting out - i say GOOD FOR YOU - at least you are trying - so keep it up, you will find something that you like - and when you do - stick with that until you find something else you like. the best exercise is the one you will keep doing. Try not to think about what other people are thinking and STINK IT UP!!!
  • Ademar111
    Ademar111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a fitness freak and the way he explains it is best. When I ask him about the gym and what happened he simply tells me " I don't have time to pay attention to other people or talk to them, I go to the gym to work, when I am done working, I leave". The people that truly are there to "work" dont pay any attention to anyone else, they are there to "work" and then leave.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercises, I used videos in the privacy of my own home. When I finally got the courage, I joined a women's only gym, which really encouraged and motivated me to go further.

Congratulate yourself for getting out there and doing it. It's really an accomplishment in itself!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When I work out I look gross and sweaty and I am so afraid to have people stare at me. My tummy prevents me from yoga poses and other things I would like to do. The feel of my own body jumping around bothers me. My feet problems and Achilles tendinitis make even walking a challenge. It's discouraging.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES...we all look gross and sweaty when we work out! You can do whatever you put your mind to...so stop telling yourself that you can't :huh:

10.jpg
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Dont let it get you down.

To be honest other people really don't matter, but I know all too well that the hardest person to be ok with is yourself.

I tried to go back to the gym a year ago, and I felt so out of place that I left. It is weird to think about what I would look like now if I had stuck with it.

I lost some weight by counting and walking. Then I went back to the gym with my brother to work out with me. Having someone else by my side made it way easier.

Do you have someone who can go with you?
  • kimdyj
    kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I take pride in sweating! It shows that I'm working hard and damn proud of it! That's one of the reason why I hate going to the gym because I see a bunch of fit people and it can be intimidating but I turn it to an inspiration that one day I will look like them.
  • lilly684
    lilly684 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I weighed over 200 lbs. This was very hard for me being like this, though slowly over a period of few years, I have been able to lose 50 lbs. It takes time when we are hindered, though every small step you take to live healthier will produce results even if you cannot see it right away.

Don't be discouraged! Keep going and find what you enjoy, even if you have to keep switching things up. :) You can do it! Do your research and discuss your concerns with your physician. He or she may have some insight that will be useful to you. We are all rooting for you!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have ankle problems and use a stationary bike at home as my main exercise. Although you use your feet to pedal, it is very low impact on your foot and ankle (just be sure to wear shoes).
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    You did not succumb to defeat and that is the first step. Fight and turn that inner voice off that is telling you those negative things. Each time you go, you are a step closer to changing your body and mind. It sounds like you are beating yourself up and assuming what you think these people are saying/thinking.

I take Les Mills Body Attack every Monday night and it's a sports training class. This class involves a lot of high knees, burpees, juming jacks, lunges, push ups, etc. Many of the participants are athletes. The instructor told me 2 years ago do not give up and the results will speak for themselves. While I am still one of the larger ones in this class, I can do things now physically that I could not have done had I given up. It is one of the most challenging classes for me weekly, yet, I would not trade it for nothing. After Body Attack, I take yoga and guess what? I am the biggest one most times there also, yet, I can do bridge, bow, dancer's pose and other movements that some of the smaller women still can not do and yes I still have a stomach.

In terms of sweating, most of us do.

We really are our own worst enemies most times.

From what I have read so far from other responses, you are not alone and came to the right place for support. I am going to say to you what Liz said to me 2 years ago; "Do not give up" . You can do this.

Please keep us posted on your progess.

Regards,
  • Robertsollady
    Robertsollady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello i am new to this site to, i weigh alot i am embarrased also but, our Bodies our worth fighting for, don't give up, keep your head up we all can do this