Is Being Really Lean Really Worth It?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have to question what this woman's routine for 'getting lean' is. She says that she was miserable when she was really lean. That leads me to think that she wasn't eating the right foods.

I didn't get that the misery was just about the food. It was about ALL the sacrifices necessary to maintain that level. From the blog:
    If you would prefer to be extremely lean, and it’s worth it to you to skip social events, get in bed by 9 pm every night, and train twice a day to get there, that’s fantastic. Do it. You are choosing aesthetics over lifestyle, and probably over performance and health, but if you want it, then do it.

I like pizza, bagels and the occasional glass of wine much more than I like the idea of being very lean. I like that fitness is a nice hobby, but doesn't control my life. I like that if my husband suggests going to the Super Terrific Jumbo Happy Family China Buffet, I can get all the sushi I want without worrying about the carbs in the rice or the fat in the spicy mayo tuna roll.

I might be leaner if I cut out all processed food and was a lot more rigid about exercise. But the amount of happiness I'd get from being leaner wouldn't be more than the happiness I get from eating all the foods I enjoy and being flexible enough in my exercise that skipping a day doesn't give me panic attacks.

Now, if you really like "clean" eating, and get more of a thrill from exercise than I do, then it's not a sacrifice at all. But that's not everyone.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. -> INCORRECT, we are all humans and our body's all behave, react and adapt in the exact same way, there's a whole science around it, its called human biology.

EXACT same way? Rubbish.

It is not rubbish.

*eyeroll*

Of course it's rubbish. We do not react in the *exact* same way. Most people are broadly similar within a fairly decent range of parameters, although there are outliers as well.

If we reacted in the exact same way, there would be no need to include more than one person in any clinical trial.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like ice cream. I'm totally cool where I'm at now, a little more body fat than a month ago when I was at my leanest, but I have more energy, and can still enjoy foods I love.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have to question what this woman's routine for 'getting lean' is. She says that she was miserable when she was really lean. That leads me to think that she wasn't eating the right foods.

I didn't get that the misery was just about the food. It was about ALL the sacrifices necessary to maintain that level. From the blog:
    If you would prefer to be extremely lean, and it’s worth it to you to skip social events, get in bed by 9 pm every night, and train twice a day to get there, that’s fantastic. Do it. You are choosing aesthetics over lifestyle, and probably over performance and health, but if you want it, then do it.

I like pizza, bagels and the occasional glass of wine much more than I like the idea of being very lean. I like that fitness is a nice hobby, but doesn't control my life. I like that if my husband suggests going to the Super Terrific Jumbo Happy Family China Buffet, I can get all the sushi I want without worrying about the carbs in the rice or the fat in the spicy mayo tuna roll.

I might be leaner if I cut out all processed food and was a lot more rigid about exercise. But the amount of happiness I'd get from being leaner wouldn't be more than the happiness I get from eating all the foods I enjoy and being flexible enough in my exercise that skipping a day doesn't give me panic attacks.

Now, if you really like "clean" eating, and get more of a thrill from exercise than I do, then it's not a sacrifice at all. But that's not everyone.

That's exactly what I'm coming to terms with. Thanks for the post! I'm think I like the idea of peanut butter cap'n crunch way more than the idea of a six pack.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Being lean has its social benefits.

So are you saying you get laid more at 8% body fat than say 14%?

Highly unlikely. Libido is reduced the lower the % of BF ... at least that is what a family member said about it when he was at really low BF % himself.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to quote that many posts. ooopppsss
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I could very well say that I'm happy with how I look right now and just go into maintenance mode, but I'm steadily losing fat, and I'm not miserable.

I expect to be around 18% body fat by Halloween, if not sooner, and with the way that I eat and exercise right now, I don't foresee any misery attached to that number at all. I'm not sacrificing anything. I eat what tastes good, I make my exercise things that are fun to me, and I get enough sleep. Becoming steadily leaner is just an awesome side effect of the way I'm living my life :-)

I think what she was saying was that it was hard for her. She said she has a friend who finds it easy. That is what the article is about, is it worth it to be lean. She's saying for her it is hard so not worth it.. For you it might be easier and therefor worth it.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It depends what's more important to you. I'm on the fence, sometimes I want all the icecream and think screw it, other times I'm like nah, think about the bikini. At the end of the day if I can find a way to get both, I will, if not, I guess the proof is in the pudding :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not worth it for me. All I care about is being happy, healthy, and fit. I'm all of the above at my current 20% BF. I wouldn't mind knocking off a few more points which is why I'm cutting calories again...but it's simply not worth the level of effort and sacrifice necessary at going on 39 years old to get into the low teens or havin' a ripped six pack. I like beer, wine, and booze way too much...and I love to workout, but there's only so much time in the day.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. -> INCORRECT, we are all humans and our body's all behave, react and adapt in the exact same way, there's a whole science around it, its called human biology.

EXACT same way? Rubbish.

It is not rubbish.

Yes, actually, it is. Otherwise, there would not be drugs that this person can safely metabolize but not that one, all of us would have the same response to the same exposure to pathogens, etc. But we don't. By and large we are very similar. And the more necessary the biological process, the more similar we tend to be, but our bodies do not react EXACTLY the same as everyone else's unless you are only talking in very broad terms, like eat more calories than you burn and you will gain.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It was an interesting read. But as my doctor told me "your genetics has a role." Sadly, my genetics aren't great (thus how I ended up with asthma in the first place. Family history of asthma and copd) and I will never be tiny or skinny. According to my doctor if I can get down another 10, i might be just in the right range because most of my family members are overweight or obese.

The other thing is if I spent hours upon hours in the gym, i probably would be better off. But the bottom line is, I am a mom, a wife, a sports correspondent, and a college student. So I don't have the time to be gym rat. I also would be miserable because there are certain things I like to eat and I refuse to give them up in order to be lean as can be.

Heck i finally had a piece of pizza last night and i enjoyed it :drinker:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    She makes some decent points throughout the article but it should only be applied to people looking to step on stage, but its exactly the sort of thing that people with 10-20kg extra who yo-yo diet will use as an excuse not to put in some hard work.

I also personally find it really annoying when people talk about 'naturally slim' individuals, maybe there are a couple of people out there who consistently eat 4000 calories on a daily basis and remain slim but the vast vast majority of people who are considered naturally slim are eating healthy and exercising regularly. I think it undermines her overall point to stick with this myth so rigidly.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options

:noway: Really? All of us are the exact same? So that is why some of us (me included) plateau for 7 months while doing the exact same thing as other people, while they lose weight? Exact same way....ha!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Great article! It makes a good point that it's ok to be normal, and not everyone is trying to be a fitness competitor or model. Personally, I am still working on reducing body fat, but my initial goal is to get down to 30%. I might go down to 25% or so, but I have no desire for "six pack abs" or whatever. My husband already told me he'd force-feed me chocolate if I get too skinny. :laugh:

But in "everyone is different," it should also be noted that everyone has different fitness goals, and that's ok. Some women *want* to be at 15% BF, and that's ok too. :smokin:
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

EXACT same way? Rubbish.

It is not rubbish.

*eyeroll*

Of course it's rubbish. We do not react in the *exact* same way. Most people are broadly similar within a fairly decent range of parameters, although there are outliers as well.

If we reacted in the exact same way, there would be no need to include more than one person in any clinical trial.

Amen.

When my weight fluctuates by 10lbs, almost all that difference is directly on my waist. And I can get a nice flat stomach, have all my ribs sticking out and still have plenty of fat on my butt and upper thighs. Those places are the absolute last thing to budge on me. My mother in law on the other hand has very toned legs, a tiny butt, and a big belly. Totally the opposite of me.

What is that? - it's genetics. Why do you think we label body types as apple or pear or hourglass shapes? Because we hold fat in different places. If we were exactly the same we'd all lose fat in exactly the same way but we don't.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    She makes some decent points throughout the article but it should only be applied to people looking to step on stage, but its exactly the sort of thing that people with 10-20kg extra who yo-yo diet will use as an excuse not to put in some hard work.

That's true. But people will only do what they want to do. If getting under 30% BF means giving up the beer sundaes, maybe that's the line that won't get crossed - where losing fat isn't worth the lifestyle change.

Agree there's a bit of a disconnect when people blame genetic differences on beer o'clock results. But what can ya do.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Agree there's a bit of a disconnect when people blame genetic differences on beer o'clock results. But what can ya do.
    No doubt about it. Then there are those who are genetically predisposed to be lean and muscular, with some effort, and they think they did it all by themselves. It's always some combination of both.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth it, but didnt realize it until I got there
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you feel good about yourself and where you're at doesn't include any health issues, then just be you. You are one of the very few people who I've seen on MFP that is acutally happy with themselves. KUDOS!!!!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm leaner than most with around 16/17% body fat.

I can guarantee you that I am not miserable. Quite the opposite.