Smartphones

Options
13»

Replies

• onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy 4s. I love it.

the Iphone looks like a heavy brick compared to it.

iPhone-4S-VS-Samsung-Galaxy-S3_1.jpeg
    Way to choose the OLD iPhone...
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm an Android Fanboy, but other than that I'm not particular to any one brand/model. I gave my husband the following advice last month: Stick to Samsung or Motorolla. Do NOT get suckered into a Windows based system or Blackberry. Make sure that they have all of the accessories you desire for your model (for him specifically, he really wanted an Otter box but they never made them for the phone that he had. At the time I bought my phone, I really wanted a docking station with a remote so that helped me decide which model to get). Also remember when choosing a phone that will "fit in your pocket" to try it with your case of choice first. I always forget how dainty mine is until I have to take it out of the case. Phone stores hate me sometimes, but I never walk out of there unhappy :-)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just got a Windows phone, the Nokia Lumia 521 (because it was $150 to buy outright) and I kind of hate it. If I had realized before buying it that the Windows phones don't have nearly as many apps available as the Droid & Apple phones then I would have chosen differently. Also, the touchscreen is overly sensitive and feels "off" on the calibration. Maybe I just have bad depth perception, not really sure.

Anyway, if I could do it over I would spring for some form of iPhone because I have an iPod Touch that I LOVE and never realized how much I would prefer it over the Windows platform, given the option.

heheh Windows phone. It's my Mom's first smart phone. We make fun of her often. The camera does a great job though...that's about it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oddly, having bought smartphones since Blackberry days, you would think I would always have some latest and greatest phone, but I never even had a smartphone until just the end of last year. Much of that is the RIDICULOUS price of data plans and the phones themselves. The second part is, smartphone in most people's hands are just ULTIMATE time wasters and more of a fashion statement and bragging right than a technology tool.

Good luck.

Actually for many of us they have changed the way we work and travel and travel for work (during the past 5+ years). I don't know anyone that works in technology that thinks of their phone as a "time waster" and "fashion statement". Or even the industry that I work in (although I did spend 14 years in high tech). I don't know about you but I can't spend all day playing with my phone at work to waste time. Even though I have my own office it would look really strange to people walking by or people needing my help if I was wasting time on my phone.

Also, I happen to be one of the lucky AT&T customers that pays less for unlimited data. Both me and hubby are grandfathered in. One of the many benefits of being an early adopter. Verizon is more per month for data and most of your use of the phone is going to be data not voice.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm an Apple lover...big screen? No thanks. I want it in my pocket and don't want to break it or be uncomfortable and I was told by my kids and others if I get a belt clip, I'm a geek and nerd.

HA! Mine goes in my belt clip when I'm running/walking because I hate the arm band and my daughter can say what she wants, I will be a geek!!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - I have had it since November and I absolutely love it. Pros: big screen, amazing HD video recording, great camera, pretty good front-face camera, huge amounts of internal storage space, puts iPhone 4 & 5 to shame (S4 does this even more). Cons: battery life (much improved with last update though, and can be improved even more with Juice Defender).

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's basically just a better S3. Battery life is better, and everything else has been updated so it's better.

Ditto, although we got conned out of a couple of GB of internal memory compared to the s3...
  • b5000r
    b5000r Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like Windows Phone. I am eagerly waiting on the Lumia 925 for T-Mobile.
  • Mardi_ann
    Mardi_ann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a Samsung Galaxy S3, did not like it at all. Maybe I got a lemon, test drove a S4 no better. Now I am the proud owner of an iPhone 5 and I love it. All in all though the decision has to personal and based on what you want the phone to do. My husband has the Galaxy Note 2 and he thinks that is the best thing next to me ;) I however think its like hauling a laptop in my pocket (which it does not fit in).
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've tried Android, iOS and BlackBerry phones. Favourite? Definitely Android, even the earlier models! I just find it so much easier to use than any of the others and the features are perfect for me.
    At the moment, I have a Galaxy SIII, but I've had other Galaxy phones and they're all great.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Not sure what I have. It's several years old. I don't text with it, use it as a GPS or take pictures with it. It will do it my daughter says. I don't go on the internet with it or anything else. When it rings, I answer it. If it's on me. It usually isn't. It's for emergencies.

People don't need to be connected 24/7. I see all kind of cool phones on the road. It's usually when I am on my motorcycle and I notice the car next to me drifting over. That person is usually looking at a touch tone screen.

Look up from your cell phone people!! There's all kinds of cool stuff going on around you.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    What type of operating system do you run on your home PC? I would say if it is an apple go with the iphone, if it is windows go to your local cell store and check out the android and windows phones and see what you like. I have a droid razr maxx and love it while my wife has an iphone 4 and hates it.

One thing I could never figure out is what apple has against widgets?!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My Samsung Admire broke 5 days after the 1 year warranty was up. I reactivated my dumb phone and all it needed was a new battery. The Android was cool but the oldie still works! I would like to get a higher quality android, though.
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I have the Samsung galaxy S2 through Virgin mobile. Love it, plus $35 a month for 300 talk minutes and unlimited text and web. Great deal, Since I don't need a lot of talk minutes!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    HTC ONE
    2i1p252.png
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I switched from Android to iOs and will never go back. I love my iPhone 5 and to me the Galaxy phones are HUGE. One of my girlfriends has one and I always tease her about her tablet.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had an HTC desire and the thing ran out of memory within the year... i had to buy a new phone because the HTC couldn't send a message because it had no memory. My friend has the same phone and has the same problems. My husband has an HTC One as a personal phone and a Samsung nexus for work, he says the HTC never works right.

I now have a Samsung SII and have not had a problem with it in almost a year . I will definitely not be buying another HTC.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had an HTC desire and the thing ran out of memory within the year... i had to buy a new phone because the HTC couldn't send a message because it had no memory. My friend has the same phone and has the same problems. My husband has an HTC One as a personal phone and a Samsung nexus for work, he says the HTC never works right.

I now have a Samsung SII and have not had a problem with it in almost a year . I will definitely not be buying another HTC.

The HTC desire is a older phone that was never designed for people who are using a lot of memory or data, why do you think new phones come out every year, not just because they are prettier, but because people want more data, more memory, bigger screens etc.....so yeah...don't blame the phone for not doing what it was never intended to do...its simply older and smaller. I've had my HTC one for close to a year and have had zero problems with it...my husband has an older HTC and has had zero problems, so yeah...don't blame the phone when you want it to do more then it was intended to do....Honestly I have heard way more complaints about iphones then I have about any HTC in my real life circles..(where its cool to have an iphone, but then they complain about how they don't work or expensive to fix every day).
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had music messaging and Facebook on the phone and was constantly out of memory. Even with everything on the SD card and constantly clearing the memory. I don't think i was asking too much of the phone.

You have no idea how I was using the phone, so don't instantly assume I was not using it as it was intended.

The problem with the HTC desire and the other HTCs that i researched was that the internal memory was not big enough to handle even a few applications. I cannot speak directly to the One as I never used it, I only know what my husband says, but when I looked into it also has a small internal memory when compared to any Samsung phone.

I am glad you have had a good experience with HTC but I have not had the same and consequently would not buy another.