Best way to lose when you are already at a healthy weight

Options
13»

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Lose the baggage in your head first. Wrap you mind around the idea that being 5'4" and 124lbs is absolutely wonderful.

If I'm unhappy about my appearance, I'm unhappy. Maybe I do just need to strength train and maybe I will be 124 lbs still and look better. That's why I posted this thread to ask for advice. Really underweight, normal weight, and overweight people can all be unhappy appearance wise for one reason or another so don't knock on other people for saying they want to like what they see I'm the mirror. No "baggage" involved

If you aren't happy with the way your body looks, and are willing to do what you have to do (in a healthy way) to get what you want, more power to you.

I'm in the same boat as you. Started at 135 (highest weight other than being pregnant) and am now at 122. I'm still not where I want to be, but have found that eating slightly under maintenance and strength training is helping me get to my goal. I don't care if I lose more weight, but it just happens that I am. I eat plenty, lift weights and do an assortment of circuit training DVDs. It's slow, but working.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would advise paying more attention to body composition than losing weight. Maybe eat at a very small deficit of TDEE and make strength training your fitness priority rather than cardio. You're going to look better at a higher weight with some muscle than you are all skin and bones at your height and 112 Lbs or whatever. That's really skinny...
  • eaarias
    eaarias Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I started Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred video. I worked my way through Level 1 (10 days) and now I'm into Level 2. I have lost 4 pounds using the calorie counter on the MyFitnessPal app, completing the 30 Day Shred video (25 minutes per day) and working in some cardio (alternating days walking and running). I'm like you, considered to be a healthy weight but wanting to lose some pounds! I find that by staying within the recommended calorie range each day, I have been able to lose weight consistently. I like that the app accounts for calories burned during exercise and allows me to eat more if I exercise more. I never feel deprived!
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly is the best way, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week or if you do the TDEE method do TDEE - 10%. To ensure that most of the weight loss is from fat, keep the deficit small, as suggested above;
    lift heavy *kitten*, take part in a strength training program;
    Get adequate protein intake, aim for a minimum of 1gram per lb of lean body mass, if you don't know your bf% aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight.

Also by losing slow you may end up having a higher goal weight than losing fast as your BF% will be lower at each weight on the scale, you may actually look better at 118 than you did at 112, due to having more lean muscle.

please listen to this guy. this guy is right :)

you and i are the same height and had the same starting weight--i am 115 now and still wanting to lose a few pounds of fat to reach my old "happy size" and fit into all my clothes, but doing it with cardio wasn't giving me the look i wanted. while the scale doesn't move easily with lifting, i sure am a lot happier with what my body looks like. and self confidence is more valuable to me than the scale number--which is saying a lot for a former scale junkie!!

(also, i am ten pounds heavier at my current jeans size than i was the last time i wore this jeans size, way back before i ran and lifted regularly)
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could speak from experience on this subject. I am 5'4, 20 years old, and currently 124 lbs. my highest weight was 135, so no I was never obese nor overweight, just unhappy with my appearance and very unhealthy. Right now I'm eating no processed foods, no added sugars, moderate to low carbs, and doing moderate exercise 4-5 times a week and some strength training. So my question is What's the best way for me to lose about 12 more lbs? 'In other words, I know when you are very overweight your body sheds pounds easier than when you are at a healthy weight, so what can I do to combat this?

Focus more on a fat loss rather than weight loss. That way you keep the lean mass and not lose it. Measure yourself for fat % instead of the scale unless you want to lose lean body mass.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It was, but I've essentially had the same height/body shape since I was 14. I understand what you're saying though. That's why I'm not stuck on the number so much. I fit into size 4 jeans in fall 2011 so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to after I lose more lbs of fat

I recently found out that the infamous freshman 15 isn't always due to overeating. As you take the leap from high school to college/adulthood, your body will naturally gain about 5-10 pounds. Just look at anyone's growth chart. It's completely normal. And if you're going by a BMI calculator, those aren't all that accurate. Some people are just big boned, or just can't naturally be at a certain weight. They say to look at your growth charts to be the most accurate; though everyone wants to be at the lowest weight in the healthy range, that's not practical, since everyone is so different.

But to actually answer the question, I agree, I'd exercise and tone more. I weigh ten pounds more now than I did last year, but I think I look better, since I'm much more toned. If someone were to guess my weight, they'd probably guess that I weigh less than I really do. So it's probably best to just focus on dropping a few pounds and toning up. Also, the more muscle you have, the better your burn calories even when you're not working out, so I've heard. :D
    Good luck!!

I like this information. Thanks.
    Yeah I've heard before that blonde hair is supposed to be an indicator of youth, and I've always wondered if that's why the super-skinny look of supermodels appealed to some guys.
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    Lose slowly is the best way, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week or if you do the TDEE method do TDEE - 10%. To ensure that most of the weight loss is from fat, keep the deficit small, as suggested above;
    lift heavy *kitten*, take part in a strength training program;
    Get adequate protein intake, aim for a minimum of 1gram per lb of lean body mass, if you don't know your bf% aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight.

Also by losing slow you may end up having a higher goal weight than losing fast as your BF% will be lower at each weight on the scale, you may actually look better at 118 than you did at 112, due to having more lean muscle.

Thank you! All of this really helps!

please listen to this guy. this guy is right :)

you and i are the same height and had the same starting weight--i am 115 now and still wanting to lose a few pounds of fat to reach my old "happy size" and fit into all my clothes, but doing it with cardio wasn't giving me the look i wanted. while the scale doesn't move easily with lifting, i sure am a lot happier with what my body looks like. and self confidence is more valuable to me than the scale number--which is saying a lot for a former scale junkie!!

(also, i am ten pounds heavier at my current jeans size than i was the last time i wore this jeans size, way back before i ran and lifted regularly)