complete burnout after marathon

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
I ran my first marathon just over two weeks ago. This is a goal that I've wanted to accomplish my whole life. I'm not an athlete. My only goal was to finish - which I did (and ran every step of the way), but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.

It seems like now that the marathon is over, I have lost all desire to run. I've done a few short runs since the marathon, including two 5K fun runs this last weekend, and did not enjoy them at all. Before the marathon, I'd go out nearly every non-rainy day possible to run at lunch. It's beautiful out there today and all I feel like doing is sitting at my desk and watching the other runners go by.

I'm hoping that I'll feel like myself soon and be back out there hitting the pavement. Has anyone else experienced this after a challenging event? What did you do to overcome it?

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am in *exactly* the same situation as you are in...I have totally lost it and any distance over 5 miles is unenjoyable.

Like you, I entered to complete, not compete in a Marathon,and over achieved. I wanted to enter a fall marathon but don't know if I will actually be able to do this.

I'd be very interested to see what responses you get..I am sorry i couldn't give you any help, but just know you re not alone.
  • Jdiaz72
    Jdiaz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I have run over 20 1/2 marathons. I trained for a marathon and then got very sick right before - last year. It is still in my bucket list.

I burn out as well - usually after two back to back 1/2 marathons (within a month of each other). I have learned to allow myself to rest and stop running for a bit. Do other activities like walking, hiking, spinning and lifting weights etc. Or simply nothing! It has taken me sometimes a month to get back to running.

luckily I have running group so that keeps me running 1x on the weekend each week. regardless of what i do during the week. I usually just skip a couple weeks with the group - get back to that and ease back into weekly running too,

Hope that helps!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've done four and felt that way every time.

It takes a LOT out of you. It's been such a huge focus for MONTHS and now its just...over.

Give it some time. General rule of recovery is one day per mile raced. Your body isn't ready to run yet, especially if you're not an athlete.

The desire may return

or not

I know plenty of one and done folks. It's all about doing something you like that's good for you. If it's the marathon, great. If the 26.2 isn't for you, find something else. This is your gig, make it what you want.

Just keep in mind two weeks isn't much time.

If you like the IDEA of running but need a some variety, kicking the tires on the triathlon might be an idea.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success.
    Welcome to the marathoner club.

Yes, I totally get it. I think it's very normal.

Don't feel guilty about it.
    Let your body rest.
    You may or may not get the bug to do another one.

Do some runs where the only goal is to enjoy the experience. Meet up with some friends or take a route you really enjoy.

Consider pursuing different activities.
    Maybe do something totally different like join a recreational league of a sport you like or taking a class.
    You could also consider triathlon training.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    That happens to me too. I did a half marathon a couple months ago and after accomplishing that goal, I had a huge decrease in motivation. Something that helped was to set a running goal that was on the other end of the spectrum. For example I decided I was going to focus on speed for a while instead of distance. Or running on trails instead of pavement.

I think it just takes a little while to start craving that goal hitting again. Plus, it takes a while to figure out exactly what you want your new goal to be, and that can make your motivation seem kinda "eh".....in my experience =)
  • juliamamann
    Options
    oh and also...Some running experts say (couldn't tell ya who) that you need as many easy days after your race as there were miles of the race. So for example, if you ran a 10 mile race, you should take at least 10 easy days after the race to recover. I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule, and def not critical or works for everyone, but I just bring it up because you just ran the marathon 2 weeks ago and then you did a couple 5k's, so maybe you should take it easy for a couple weeks.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I finished my first marathon the first week of May and found myself in the exact same boat. A little of it was burn out, a little exhaustion and a little was just that feeling of being lost with nothing to train for after months of being the source of all of my focus. I am slowly regaining my desire to run, but I have not done more than 7 miles since the marathon. I am thinking of training for a fall half (not ready to do another full and not sure if I ever will do another) with my focus on setting a new PR. I think this will be the motivation I need. I still love to run. I don't think I lack the passion, just low on enthusiasm right now. But I still get out there on a regular basis. And if I am only running 5 miles, so be it. I don't really have a need to do anything more than that and until I do, I plan to just enjoy running for the sake of running.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you like the IDEA of running but need a some variety, kicking the tires on the triathlon might be an idea.

^^^This. You need to keep your body going, but take some time to try some new things that aren't so stressful on your body (and mind). Swim, bike, walk, anything that gets the blood pumping. You put your body (and mind) through an incredible amount of stress. Take it easy and just do some other things for a bit. Ease back into running when you are ready for it. Don't treat it like a chore and you will begin to look forward to it again.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is totally normal. You had this huge goal that you spent a lot of time and effort working towards AND YOU DID IT!!!

Now what?

That is the let down. You will get your mojo back it just may take a few weeks.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Did my marathon in March and haven't gotten the bug back yet either. Even skipped out on the PRR which I registered for because I just wasn't feeling it. My next race is Aug 3. It's only a 5k so hopefully I can get that loving feeling back.

For me I think I accomplished what I set out to do (the marathon) and now don't have a goal for the next thing. I'm interested in any help/advice/change of perspective as well.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here...after my half I was out of it for at least 2 weeks...I can only imagine running a full!! Congratulations!!

I am also part of a running group so once my break was over I had someone to motivate me...also training for another race helped. I feel sometimes if my running doesn't have a purpose then I'm not motivated to do it...whether it's a race or a physical goal.

Good Luck!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Try heading out on some trails for a change of pace. I started running for Tough Mudder last year (I see you've done one too :happy: ) and ran my first marathon in March. Trails, mud, rocks, and stream crossings make for my own mini- mudder when I go on a run. I initially went on the trail with a local club and haven't looked back. And when I started to look back I tripped over a root and fell on my face. :laugh: Completed a 50 miler (very slowly) in June, training for another in November.

Just a thought (if you don't want to go the tri route and buy a bike/start swimming.)
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    This is not the first I've heard of this, and honestly it scares the crap out of me. I've got my first 26.2 coming up in October, am working up to 50-60 miles per week, and enjoy a good percentage of those miles. Do you think it's more mental, physical, or a combination of both? I can see where the base buildup will be difficult and take a lot out of you, as well as the mental let-down after completing such an achievement.

Very curious to hear more about this.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Most endurance athletes I know experience this, so you are in quite good company.

I call it "big event post partum depression". When you think about it, it makes sense. First, a big event takes so much out of one both physically and mentally. Time to recover in each dimension is required. Second, most spend months preparing for a big event, then suddenly you 'birth it' and it's over. It's just over. After having one focus for so long it can leave one feeling directionless and in a really low.

As your body recovers so will your spirit. Take care of both properly and look toward the next horizon. Spend time in nature if possible. Get well soon!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You know I did my 1st marathon on 5/19 ~ I've had problems with motivation too. Just this morning, I woke up at 4:03 (exactly two minutes before my alarm was set to go off)... so I'd had plenty of rest, all my clothes were laid out and ready to go, I only had to do a relatively short run this morning (4 miles) and it was STILL SO HARD to get out of bed. I'm a total morning person, too. I will say, though, I felt great doing those four miles. Once I'm out there, I'm pretty happy (except for when we were in that yucky heat wave). I could tell as soon as the race was over that motivation was going to be a problem, so I went and signed myself up for another marathon. I like the coast, so I picked a coastal marathon and it turned out that I only had one week off before needing to start training again. Thankfully the training mileage starts out on the easier side - so while my legs were tired, the runs weren't doing me in. I apparently need some external motivation (in my case a looming race) in order to really get my butt out the door. I'm also planning on attempting to register for the Big Sur Marathon (registration opens in a few days for the race next April). I've been reading lots of blog accounts of that particular marathon and it's got me really excited to be a part of it. I know I'm going to totally have to change up my training for that race, so that's exciting. What others have suggested - like training for a triathlon or running trails - those things might be helpful for you. Train your body for something new and maybe you can find more joy in the new accomplishments.

Regardless - it's not a bad thing to take a little time and reflect on your amazing accomplishment!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    This is not the first I've heard of this, and honestly it scares the crap out of me. I've got my first 26.2 coming up in October, am working up to 50-60 miles per week, and enjoy a good percentage of those miles. Do you think it's more mental, physical, or a combination of both? I can see where the base buildup will be difficult and take a lot out of you, as well as the mental let-down after completing such an achievement.

Very curious to hear more about this.
    I think it's both mental and physical. Mental because of the post race letdown and physical because racing a marathon really wipes you out and takes several weeks to fully recover from. For first time racers that big physical wipeout is new and probably unexpected.

The cure is to always have some goal that you're working towards and to let yourself run easy for a few weeks post race.

Just don't quit because all the fitness you spent so much time building will disappear before long and then you have to start all over from ground zero.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon on May 26. I reverse tapered right after. I took 3 days off from running and ran 8 miles that first week.then 19 the next week.
    I didnt want to run anymore but I took a deep breath and Then I registered for two more marathons and a half marathon. I have a focus and began a new training plan with much less miles. I was doing the advanced Marathoning program and ran 60-70 miles a week.
    My PT said I can do just fine with 30 miles and more quality runs so im trying the Hal Higdons Advanced 2. Because my next marathon is in Sept I had to cut it back a couple of weeks but its great!! I actually only have a 3 miler to run tomorrow. Im so happy! I only have to run a half hour?!
    So my thoughts?
    The more you sit the more you want to sit. Even if you dont have a race, plan something...some goal pace or some goal distance...
    I didnt wanna run but went out anyway...got a calendar... got a plan... and just got back to being me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I know LOTS of people who have experienced this. Can't you mix it up for a while; at least, until you start feeling like a run again? Go to the gym? Take yoga classes? Bike? Swim? Take a tennis class? Join a softball team?
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your marathon!!! :drinker:

I dealt with something similar, though not exactly the same. When I started training for my first full (January 2012), my initial goal was to finish with a (figurative) smile on my face, happy that I did it. As the training progressed, I established a stretch goal of a sub-4 hour marathon. When I actually raced and accomplished my stretch goal, I was super psyched and immediately signed up for another marathon 5 months later, now with a stretch goal to BQ. I was back out running 2 days after my race; and I just kept on runnin'.

Eventually, about 2 months or so later, I was just overtrained and exhausted... basically I just burnt myself out, both mentally and physically, I'd say. I hadn't been able to recommit and train consistently until a few weeks ago. I've now (finally!) signed up for my next half in September and am eyeing a December full, but it was a long slog to get back here.

I agree with some of the others who have suggested setting a different kind of athletic goal, like a tri, a trail run, a cycling race, etc. In retrospect, I wish I had done that instead of continuing to butt my head against the wall and insisting on running. The running will still be there when you're ready for it and I think I certainly need a tangible goal of some kind to train for; if you're like me in that regard, this may be a good approach.

In any case, congrats again on checking one off the bucket list! :smile:

ETA: Of course, you're only two weeks out from your race, so I also wouldn't be too worried about it just yet... this is more something to think about if this same feeling persists.