Thigh Gap

Options
tlark88
tlark88 Posts: 11 Member
Wasn't sure where to put this but fitness seemed close. I'm 5'5" and 169lbs and about 32% body fat according to my scale, large frame (wrist =6.5") and pear body shape ( waist 30.5 hips 41) . I'm not as concerned with numbers as I am with visual goals for myself. One of those goals was to get a thigh gap, meaning my thighs don't touch pretty much all the way up. I've never had one, and now I'm starting to wonder while looking at some peoples success pictures if some people just don't get one?

So, I guess what I'm getting at is does anyone out there have a thigh gap out there? Whats your body fat/stats? If not, I still want to know your stats!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of body shape; some people have them and others never will.

Also: In for possible shenanigans.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I believe it largely comes down to how your hips are constructed - some people just don't get one.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you've never had one you never will. It comes down to bone structure, not fitness. Usually people who have them do even when overweight, and ones who don't won't get them even at a fit, healthy weight.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of body shape; some people have them and others never will.

Also: In for possible shenanigans.

This. Even at my thinnest, which was pretty thin for me, I didn't have thigh gap. It's something I'll never have and I accept that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to wonder while looking at some peoples success pictures if some people just don't get one?

Correct. Some people just don't get one. It's really a random goal. I blame the internet.
  • RebeccaSarah16
    Options
    Bone structure plays a big part, not just weight!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The thigh gap is a really trendy thing. The thing to remember is that everybody is different, so it may or may not be possible for you. The other thing to remember is that a lot of thigh gaps that you see in photos of models (think the plethora of them on Pinterest) is that they're most likely photoshopped, and therefore not even real to that woman.
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap doesn't even necessarily mean that you're healthy. If you have narrow hips, attaining one isn't likely. Don't think that just because you don't have one, you're not fit. That might not be the case.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    genetics.

my brother has calves the size of footballs, but doesn't do any strength training. i run, bike, swim, and lift, and i have smaller calves.

yet i have that guy stomach V, even when i was heavier.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a sort of aesthetic appreciation for willowy women with thigh gaps and Barbie bodies, but honestly, I don't actually find them attractive. They kinda look like children to me.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Sweet baby jesus not this again!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The thigh gap is not a realistic or healthy goal. Not everyone can get one, and it doesn't matter. There is nothing special about a magical gap between your thighs.

Work on overall health improvements and love your body. Those things are way more important than the current trend of having a "thigh gap."
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    was thinner before I had my daughter and didn't have a thigh gap then. Had my daughter, my hips widen, im heavier than before and have a thigh gap now!
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have a high thigh/crotch gap. my measurements are
    34-27-38
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I vote that you go back to concentrating on numbers. Because you actually have control over those. Thigh gaps are primarily controlled by your genetics.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure where to put this but fitness seemed close. I'm 5'5" and 169lbs and about 32% body fat according to my scale, large frame (wrist =6.5") and pear body shape ( waist 30.5 hips 41) . I'm not as concerned with numbers as I am with visual goals for myself. One of those goals was to get a thigh gap, meaning my thighs don't touch pretty much all the way up. I've never had one, and now I'm starting to wonder while looking at some peoples success pictures if some people just don't get one?

So, I guess what I'm getting at is does anyone out there have a thigh gap out there? Whats your body fat/stats? If not, I still want to know your stats!

Your body shape sounds very similiar to mine. I remember when I first started on my journey I wanted a thigh gap too. Sadly, probably not attainable.

On the plus side, a healthy (and firm/toned) body is! :smile: So work towards that instead.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think it would be easy to do without losing muscle and fat at the same time... Most people cannot get one because muscle and bone structure just doesn't work together to give that kind of look. So don't go for thigh gaps but maybe thighs that don't rub together too much, that is pretty well my goal although I would be extremely ecstatic to have a lovely looking thigh gap.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have a high thigh/crotch gap. my measurements are
    34-27-38

Almost the exact same as my measurements, and I have no gap. Crazy, huh? It really is an individual thing. :tongue:
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound from how you describe your body that it is attainable for you without reaching some very unhealthy weight. I think they come more naturally to tall women. Appreciate what you do have. I guarantee the grass is always greener :)
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I am currently about 126 lbs. I started to get a little thigh gap peeking out a few months ago. To be honset, I don't love it. I feel it is subtracting a bit from the lower part of my bottom and that's just no good. My booty is my fav, I'd rather keep it than have a thigh gap any day. Thigh gaps in general are kind of creepy looking to me. But good luck on your quest...I think yoga really contributed to mine actually