Switching to ground Turkey

Options
So while I know I won't be able to convince my guy to give up red meat completely, I have switched to using Ground turkey in place of ground beef. The problem we are having is making burger patties that do not fall through the grill. I would normally use a little breadcrumb and an egg but I was wondering if there was a healthier way to make a patty without turning it into a meatball :)

Replies

• NikkiMac27
    Options
    High heat at first will create that "crust" on the outside and keep it together. You can also put a sheet of tin foil down on the grill, spritz it with some grilling spray and then grill the burger. Or, Just use a pan. Don't over work the ground turkey when making patties. Just until they come together. It is a bit of a learning curve, since there isn't all that fat to hold it together.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Egg might be alright if you omit the yolk?
    It's a healthy fat but there is olive oil too.
    Idk .. I usually just eat pieces of chicken
    or crumbled turkey meat .
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have reached a compromise (with him doing the majority of the compromising, frankly). I use ground turkey for everything you can use hamburger for, but when it comes to grilling, I agree to eat lean ground beef.

I haven't cooked hamburger in my house twenty plus years. Can't stand the smell of it cooking, and I swear the greasy smell lingers for days. But I can compromise and eat a grilled lean ground beef burger from time to time.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey usually has a lot of fat too, plus it's bland and often unsanitary. It's okay in some things if you are trying to save money, but for burgers just get low fat ground beef.

Actual tip: adding some unflavored gelatin helps all low fat ground meats stay moist and hold together.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try using 1 tablespoon of a low calorie BBQ sauce (you can get some that only have 15 calories per tablespoon) mixed with about 3 egg whites. That way your only adding about 50 extra calories and they hold together perfectly!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bison or buffalo? I prefer those to beef, frankly, and they can be even leaner than turkey.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would just use the eggs and bread crumbs if it works and you like the flavor. There is nothing wrong with either one.

That being said, from a flavor profile, I rather have a beef burger higher cals then 2 turkey burgers. But thats just me.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Ground turkey usually has a lot of fat too,

Does it?

Anyways, what I normally do is just put the burgers over a piece of tin foil so they don't fall through the grill :) Saves you adding anything extra to the meat, unless you want to of course.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Egg might be alright if you omit the yolk?
    It's a healthy fat but there is olive oil too.
    Idk .. I usually just eat pieces of chicken
    or crumbled turkey meat .

There is nothing wrong with egg yolk...the yolk is where all of the nutrition is.

OP...look at the fat content of the ground turkey....90/10 ground turkey is the same as 90/10 ground beef...except the ground beef is going to taste a **** load better. Also, nothing wrong with red meat...I limit it to just a couple times per week, but only because it tends to be more calorie dense than chicken breast or fish, so I can't eat as much of it. But there's nothing wrong with it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Does it?

You just have to read the labels. You can get 90/10 turkey and you can get 96/4 beef. There are better and worse options for each kind, you just have to check.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey! That is all...
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options

Does it?

You just have to read the labels. You can get 90/10 turkey and you can get 96/4 beef. There are better and worse options for each kind, you just have to check.

Ahh right. I've been using the same brand for pretty much the last 2 years so not too sure. My turkey has 2g of fat per 200g and my ground beef has 18g of fat per 200g.

Not that I'm aruging about fat or anything... fat is awesome!
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey/ ground pork as well. and what ive found that works is i pre pack the turky into hamburgers and then freeze them and instead of letting them thaw i put em right on the grill. as long as they cook all the way through it should be just fine otherwise maybe youll just have to cook em on a skillet :/
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Make a patty out of a combination of lean ground beef and ground turkey. Add a little mozarella cheese to it as well. It's so good!
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Make a patty out of a combination of lean ground beef and ground turkey. Add a little mozarella cheese to it as well. It's so good!

On top of the patty or mixed in with the meat? Thanks in advance.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use some ground tomato and oats. :)
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

On top of the patty or mixed in with the meat? Thanks in advance.

We mix it in the meat. :)
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i always use mayo, garlic and rosemary in mine and it binds great. I am wondering though if FF greek yogurt would work ok too. I might be trying this real soon
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey usually has a lot of fat too, plus it's bland and often unsanitary. It's okay in some things if you are trying to save money, but for burgers just get low fat ground beef.

Actual tip: adding some unflavored gelatin helps all low fat ground meats stay moist and hold together.

Agree! It's gotten too risky. I would not eat it unless I ground it myself. A meat grinder is so worth it! For beef too. Haven't bought store-ground beef in years.
  • adrylong
    adrylong Posts: 29
    Options
    I made turkey burgers for our Fourth of July barbeque. I only added some spices and some gluten free bread crumbs, and they didn't fall apart. I tend to make my burgers a little fatter than thinner, so perhaps that helps to prevent them from falling apart.