Do You use "diet" foods?

Options
CindaWhite
CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
My husband and I were told by a lifelong weight watchers friend (lost over 100 lbs. years ago and still there :), that she doesn't use any special - lite, fat free, "diet" foods. She just eats her proper rations of the real deal and tracks meticulously. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I use both "diet" and regular foods. Just depends on what it is and how it fits in.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Track your calories. Eat at a deficit. Lose weight.

Diet foods are generally silly imo.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I really dislike "diet" foods, unless they are lower fat naturally. Most diet products = low fat, more sugar. I actually detest WW products, I can't believe a company trying to help people achieve better health would sell garbage like that.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not really. I will get non-fat yogurt because I find it's easier to find than full fat. We have always bought 1 or 2% milk (I had the smell of full fat milk). Outside of those I can't think of any fat-free, light or low-fat items we buy.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I eat what tastes good and fits into my calories/macros for the day.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The diet or light versions often have other chemicals or replacements inside which are more difficult for our body to handle. Sometimes you're better off with the full fat versions as your body can use and knows what to do with fat. Just have them in moderation.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not, and really haven't been a 'diet food' type of girl. My fiance kind of is, so we have a couple of items that are fat free this, and low fat that. So I might eat it (it if tastes good) on occasion because I don't want to buy 2 of the same product.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't entertain that marketing B.S.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat like a king...dieting doesn't have to suck or be flavorless or fatless. Eat a balanced diet and hit your calorie goals. Also, no fat/low fat substitutes for items that usually contain fat usually have a lot of added sugar and/or other bull****. I like to eat my food however it's supposed to be most naturally.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No, I don't use "diet" foods. I'd rather have a little bit of full-fat cheese than a pound of the low-fat stuff.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I really dislike "diet" foods, unless they are lower fat naturally. Most diet products = low fat, more sugar. I actually detest WW products, I can't believe a company trying to help people achieve better health would sell garbage like that.

This. However I do get 2% Greek Yogurt since I like the taste more.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer the real stuff - I'd rather eat whole foods than whatever chemicals they have to add to make something "lite." However, I will use "diet" foods occasionally, if I'm going to be eating a large quantity and don't want to deal with all the extra calories. I think it's wise to learn to eat non-diet foods in moderation, though.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ls9dp4N9fX1r3v6f2o1_500.gif

with the exception of a diet soda now and then.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Diet coke ONLY. Oh and slim fast, almost forgot. But I am adamantly and vehemently and confusingly against diet cheese, low fat milks, non fat anythings, and diarrhea potato chips. I think those are off the market now. But yeah, I'm suspicious of lots of that stuff. Diet coke however became an addiction back before I cared about any of this, and slim fast i just like it. So that's all. I admit I drink way less diet coke than I used to but like if you offered me a diet coke and a grilled cheese sandwich and told me that sandwich was made with low fat cheese....I'd grab the coke from you so fast and stare at the sandwich like it was the devil. :devil:
    Then if you tried to feed it to me in romantic shove in my face style I'd long for the real thing and think you were caulkblocking me from a real kraft processed cheese food encounter.

234637__UNOPT__safe_princess-luna_animated_image-macro_otp_sandwich_grilled-cheese_gif.gif
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    What's a "Diet" food?
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "diet" foods either. They don't taste as good, they don't satisfy, and I don't have the time for that.

I eat fresh and I eat in moderation.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your friend I doing it right! =)
    There are some low calorie or fat free versions that I just like way more.. but with this 'obesity epidemic' and people trying to lose a lot weight 'real fast'.. 'low calorie snack packs' are usually just crap they are selling to make money. Those 100 calorie pouches are jokes. =/ Who wants to waste 100 calories on like 5 mini short bread cookies that makes you mad and want to eat more?? =|
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    she's absolutely right :)

just focus on clean, natural foods and limit your portions.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your friend I doing it right! =)
    There are some low calorie or fat free versions that I just like way more.. but with this 'obesity epidemic' and people trying to lose a lot weight 'real fast'.. 'low calorie snack packs' are usually just crap they are selling to make money. Those 100 calorie pouches are jokes. =/ Who wants to waste 100 calories on like 5 mini short bread cookies that makes you mad and want to eat more?? =|

Oh shoot, I love me some 100 calorie snack packs for the simple maths. I mean they are usually the real deal just thinner or minus something. So yeah.

i :heart: 100 cal packs
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I like real food. Diet foods take out fat and add other cr@p - sugar, chemicals, etc. I find I stay much fuller on full fat stuff than I do with low or fat-free stuff.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have come to prefer some things in "diet" form. Actually, just one. I prefer sugar free pudding to regular, or at least I haven't gone back ro regular yet. Other than that, it's really just about moderation.