Do You use "diet" foods?

Options

Replies

• lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    What's a "Diet" food?

"diet" soda, "fat-free" dressings, sour creams, etc.

whenever these terms are used, other chemicals and junk are added to make them taste good.

oh and we can't forget your "healthy choice", ""smart ones", and "lean cuisine" meals. those are just terrible. want to gain major water weight? just eat these with all the sodium!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    If it fits my macros :wink:

Quite a bit of diet soda, most other stuff is the regular version. I also sometimes have the lower fat ice cream as a compromise for my SO.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like Skinny Cow ice cream and chocolate bars.... but I just like them; the low cal is just an added bonus, ha ha! And we get 1% milk, but that's also because it's cheaper where I live. That's about it though; I still eat pizza and bread and cheese and baked goodies (though not so much anymore because it's too hot to bake, lol). I just eat less of it and make it all last longer as a result :D
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you consider pop tarts, ice cream, corn bread, pizza, etc... diet food, then yes I do.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were told by a lifelong weight watchers friend (lost over 100 lbs. years ago and still there :), that she doesn't use any special - lite, fat free, "diet" foods. She just eats her proper rations of the real deal and tracks meticulously. What are your thoughts on this?

I would struggle to make sense of what I eat or justify it. It's really a matter of taste. Your friend is right overall though. I would not seek out, or choke down those diet mish moshes. Eating regular foods is the best overall advice and style of eating. Portion control and making sure you include enough fats and proteins to stay satisfied. That said, a little of anything you like should be okay whether it be a slice of chocolate cake or a can of diet coke over ice. Or both one day. The calorie counts are what counts in the end as far as weight loss and I do find it confusing how they take "fat" or "sugar" out of certain things so that's just a general suspicion on a visceral level that I could never explain and so won't even try. Just try to eat normal real foods as much as possible and don't beat yourself up over minor indiscretions but above all. Count. Those. Cals.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The only 'diet' food I consume are diet sodas. Everything else is the real deal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't buy "diet" sort of foods generally. I do buy 2% milk instead of full fat just because that is what I am used to. I occasionally will have diet coke as a mixer with alcohol, but not by itself. Once I bought Weight Watchers string cheese because it was on sale and it was awful. I'd rather eat the real thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm what you would call a whole food eater with little processed foods at all and leave chicken skin on, consume full fat yogurt and like ribeyes the way the cow intended them to be AAA.:smile:
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No, I don't eat the "diet" foods because they never satisfy....then there are the chemicals, preservatives, etc. I much prefer real deal foods!

Not only are the diet foods questionable nutritionally, they just set up the brain to want more (in my humble opinion), so psychologically they have a disadvantage for me as well.

Big plate of real foods anytime!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I agree.

My reasoning: diet, low fat, sugar free, etc. typically have things put in them to make up for what they claim to lack. Usually it's added sodium, sugars, and almost always chemicals.

I'll pass and eat the real deal.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I think eating "real" foods is a very, very good idea. However, I do like to buy lighter versions of Italian dressing and ranch for salads and pastas. Once or twice a year I will buy a pack of protein shakes or protein powder for quick meals and snacks, that's it though.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i use real food. Not diet.. I typically avoid anything that is labeled diet, or fat free or low fat or whatever.. usually they are filled wtih chemcials and those are more unhealthy then real food with all teh fat and calories..

however different strokes for different folks.

diet food = bad (in my world)

my boyfriend eats those lean cusine dinner things.. i don't know how he stomachs them.. i just watch him put them in the cart and move on. LOL
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use low fat versions of pretty much all dairy products and I still drink a diet soda a couple of times a week. Other than that I try to just make everything from scratch to eliminate all of the preservatives and additives, which I think are potentially far more harmful than any "real" food. Besides, packaged "diet" foods are full of sugar and the aforementioned ton of chemicals.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No "diet" foods for me. Just regular food in decent servings.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I probably eat a mixture, but not necessarily just for 'dieting' purposes.

For example:
    - I eat low fat cottage cheese and 1% milk and fat free plain yogurt, but I LIKE it.
    - I drink diet soda because I haven't kicked the habit yet - I did switch to that from the regular. I don't pretend diet soda is healthy.
    - I think fat free ranch dressing tastes like manure. It's disgusting, and I don't care how many calories I could save, I won't bother.
    - Fat free cheese doesn't melt so I never buy it. Reduced fat cheese tastes fine to me. Full fat cheese is always good.
    - Turkey bacon = pointless. Regular bacon = YUM. Center Cut Bacon = fewer calories & a good compromise.
  • 1der_Nana
    1der_Nana Posts: 41
    Options
    I used to eat "diet" anything. Now I try to eat clean and non processed food. My palate, and body thanks me for it! I just need to consistently practice proper portion, and incorporate exercise! ^_^
    Xx
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    No. If you looked in my cupboards and fridge you'd think I was trying to get fat. Whole milk, full fat yogurt, a box of cookies squirreled away, Ben and Jerry's in the freezer... But I spend a week eating that pint and well the cookies have been there a month. You wouldn't see any produce because it goes so fast with my fruit and veggie addicted kids.

I am all about portion control and eating stuff that makes me feel full.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister are vegetarians who don't count calories, but feel like the lower the fat, the better. So sometimes I use low fat versions of things if they are in the fridge. It means I can eat more of it when I'm really hungry, but generally it's just full-fat for me. Fat is not your foe, even on a diet, as long as you track your calories.

That said, my favorite "diet" food is coke zero vanilla. It is the nectar of the gods.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only use nature's diet foods - i.e. fruits and veggies :) Otherwise I use 'the real deal'.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree.

My reasoning: diet, low fat, sugar free, etc. typically have things put in them to make up for what they claim to lack. Usually it's added sodium, sugars, and almost always chemicals.

I'll pass and eat the real deal.

^^^This. I actually avoid diet foods.