Lowest Healthy NET Calories?

Options
I know there are so many different opinions and theories out there, but I feel like I haven't been able to get or find a satisfactory answer to this question. What is the lowest healthy NET calories (Food intake - exercise = NET) I should end my day with?

I try to be healthy, but I still want to lose. In the past, I would say my lowest NET calorie would be 500-600, but more often my NET calories would be 800-1200. I always ate at least 1,200, sometimes as much as 1,600, but because I would work out and burn calories, my net calories could be lower. (People always think I'm saying I only eat 600 calories when I talk about net, so I just wanted to be clear.)

I saw my doctor this week due to the difficulty I seem to have losing weight (over 185+ days carefully dieting, portioning, clean eating, exercising, logging, weighing, HRM-ing, etc.). I basically just seem to yo-yo in a five lb or so range. He suggested increasing my calories and not having a NET lower than 1,200 a day. However, if I do this, MFP estimates I will only lose .7 lb a week.

It's a difficult pill for me to swallow that I might get a good burn from my exercise, but then be expected to eat all those calories back up in order to still be netting 1,200.

So, as a woman, (stats: 5'2" ranging between 125-130 lbs), what's the lowest NET calories I should shoot for in order to both be healthy and lose weight? And if I stick to 1,200 NET, is .7 lbs really the best I can do as far as the weight-loss goal per week?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is right...and seems to understand the MFP method too...rare! Listen to him. Eat more.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor and with next to nothing to lose you shouldn't be aiming for more than a half pound a week loss. Be very happy if you can even achieve that.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    That is a healthy projected loss per week. Because you do not have a lot of weight to lose, you can't expect to lose more quickly than that.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    That is a healthy projected loss per week. Because you do not have a lot of weight to lose, you can't expect to lose more quickly than that.
    yup.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    "Net calories" is such a meaningless term to me. It's what you eat less what you burn in exercise, but it doesn't take BMR or NEAT into account at all. I never understood why people get so worked up over "net" calories.

You're already in a healthy weight range based on BMI. Based on that alone, I think you shouldn't try or expect to lose more than about 1/2 lb per week. At your weight, it's going to be very hard to lose faster than that.

Here's what I'd do - figure out your average TDEE, based on a week's worth of typical activity. Eat about 10-15% less calories than that every day. Don't worry about "net" calories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I found the most success changing it up - never eating the same amount of calories per day. 1500 one day, 800 one day, 2000 the next day, etc.. As the other poster said, just average it out over the week.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes, essentially your doctor is giving you appropriate information. losing 0.7lb a week might not sound like much, but slow and steady wins the race. I'm only losing 0.5 a week, but thats ok, I would rather get there slowly and maintain LBM, than lose quickly and look more skinny fat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say depends on the person, amount of LBM, total fat reserve, weight, gender, height. That said on average I would say min could range from 900-2000, depending on the above.

OP: Netting 600 cals is the same as eating 600 cals on a day you don't workout. I would also suggest with only 15 lbs to lose that you set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week. When you don't have a lot to lose the larger your deficit is the large % of your loss will come from lean mass vs. fat. So ask yourself, are you looking at losing scale weight, or fat?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'2" and in the 125-130 range (also a tiny, tiny bone structure). On a body this petite, it is hard as hell to eat low enough calories to lose weight but still get enough nutrients.

it's also easy as hell to gain weight, at least for me, because if i slip up and eat like the "normal" sized people around me, I'm overeating by double or triple what my body needs.

I'm eating at 1200-1500 net depending on my appetite and maintaining. If I eat over 1500 more often than under, I gain. If I eat 1200 and lower I lose, but at a much slower rate than I gain with just a few hundred calories more. .5lb a week is about maximum loss, and since I've got the ability to gain 2 lb a week on just a few hundred calories more, it's frustrating, to say the least. But if I eat less than 900 net, I start losing energy.

I guess what this rambling is saying is, I'm a person who is the same size as you, who gains weight by eating more (surprise, MFP!), and gets sleepy by eating less. There's a fine line between healthy and overweight for little people.

My physical therapist has suggested I go on a Very Low Calorie Diet (she suggested 900 TOTAL not net :noway: ) to get this weight off my midsection once and for all (it drags on my spinal deformity, causing pain and interrupting healing), , then return to my 1200-1500 net for maintenance. I'd like to take her advice, but I also really like eating...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wow, this the 1st post I've ever seen with a doctor advising an actual healthy approach to weight loss instead of VLCD, pills, etc! Applause to the OP's doc!!

With the amount of weight you have to lose, 1/2 pound per week is a very healthy rate.
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • smuckers722
    smuckers722 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I would be happy if I could lose .5 a week, but that just doesn't normally happen. I know for most people, 1,200 net seems like nothing, but the last time I ate 1,200 NET a day, I only gained weight, so I am nervous about starting to do that. It seems like I have to be incredibly careful with what I eat and work hard just to stay at the upper limit of my healthy BMI. I know it's important to give your body calories to take care of itself, but I am not sure exactly how you "decide" that a particular amount is what's necessary. Like, why 1,200, not 1,000?
  • smuckers722
    smuckers722 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to all of that! I gain weight incredibly easily, even if the amount of calories I took in doesn't suggest it should be possible, and losing weight is very difficult.
    I am also 5'2" and in the 125-130 range (also a tiny, tiny bone structure). On a body this petite, it is hard as hell to eat low enough calories to lose weight but still get enough nutrients.

it's also easy as hell to gain weight, at least for me, because if i slip up and eat like the "normal" sized people around me, I'm overeating by double or triple what my body needs.

I'm eating at 1200-1500 net depending on my appetite and maintaining. If I eat over 1500 more often than under, I gain. If I eat 1200 and lower I lose, but at a much slower rate than I gain with just a few hundred calories more. .5lb a week is about maximum loss, and since I've got the ability to gain 2 lb a week on just a few hundred calories more, it's frustrating, to say the least. But if I eat less than 900 net, I start losing energy.

I guess what this rambling is saying is, I'm a person who is the same size as you, who gains weight by eating more (surprise, MFP!), and gets sleepy by eating less. There's a fine line between healthy and overweight for little people.

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I would be happy if I could lose .5 a week, but that just doesn't normally happen. I know for most people, 1,200 net seems like nothing, but the last time I ate 1,200 NET a day, I only gained weight, so I am nervous about starting to do that. It seems like I have to be incredibly careful with what I eat and work hard just to stay at the upper limit of my healthy BMI. I know it's important to give your body calories to take care of itself, but I am not sure exactly how you "decide" that a particular amount is what's necessary. Like, why 1,200, not 1,000?

1200 is a minimum set by health professionals in order to get the amount of nutrients your body needs. You have to eat carefully at 1200 to get all the nutrition.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options

Maybe slowly up your intake to 1200 NET and see when it is you start gaining weight.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I found the most success changing it up - never eating the same amount of calories per day. 1500 one day, 800 one day, 2000 the next day, etc.. As the other poster said, just average it out over the week.

yes, good idea, ive been known to do this as well, but not for weight loss, but because this is how it goes for me.

do something different if what you have always done doesn't work. many ppl including your DR. are right in saying increase those cals.

your not going to see weight gain from adding a few hundred or more cals to 1200 cals..infact I always lose more when I have increased my cals.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    mfp isnt always accurate with how much it tells you youll lose, it also depends on your body type/metabolism/ eating habits in general, etc... mfp only calculates how much youll lose based on calories, your doctor is right, having a net of 1200 calories and having less sugar and carbs and processed food and more food with nutritional value and eating smaller portions more frequently through the day should help, but thats easier said then done,
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1" and have a horrible time losing weight, but can gain if I eat even one meal that is higher carbs, even if my total calories are still in range. This is SO frustrating as I love food. ;-) I would love to find the happy medium, as I have been on 800 calories a day since March, to lose what I have.

I am going to try to go to 900 or 1000, to see if I can not gain weight and still lose slowly. So, guess I will find out. I would try the 1200 for two weeks, being careful to still get plenty of meat and vegies in those extra calories.

Smuckers, your dog is SO cute!! We have a golden doodle, who could be your dogs twin!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is right...and seems to understand the MFP method too...rare! Listen to him. Eat more.

This!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    it so annoys me when people are complaining that they are eating 1200 calories only, as well as exercising there arses off.. and then wonder why they dont lose weight....

well darlings you are starving yourselves and your body is holding on to every ounce of fat.. also long term it affects your metabolism... believe me thats why im overweight at 45...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

If you were gaining on 1200 net, is it possible that you were overestimating your exercise calories?