Question regarding gross calories vs net

Options
I am confused as to how many calories to eat. My resting metabolic is 1500 so nutritionist says to eat 1500 calories a day.
I am burning between 400-800 calories a day in exercise depending on the day. So far, my net calories I am eating are around 1500 leaving my net calories around 500 depending on the exercise I am doing. I am stuffed eating the 1500. I have been reading articles saying I should eat at least 1200 Net calories even if my gross goal is 1500. The scale is not moving. Does anyone out there know about the net vs. gross and should I go for 1200 net or even 1500 net which would mean I am eating the gross 1500 plus the calories I burned in exercise which if I burned 500 a day that would be eating 2000 calories. Doesn't seem like I would lose weight doing that. Please help!!!

Replies

• 1BLamp
    1BLamp Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same questions/concerns after reading my report and seeing the "net" vs. the "gross" calories. My thinking is you want to try to stick to 1200 or whatever is the proper amount for your height and goals. I have done Jillian Michael's 90-Day Body Revolution which is about 30 mins. of circuit 4 nights/week and 30 mins. cardio 2 nights/week and her recipes are pretty close to 1200 each day, with the exercise.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    At some point you should decide whether to trust your nutritionist or random people on the internet. If your nutritionist said to eat 1500, knowing your exercise habits, then maybe you should do that. Or if your nutritionist didn't know about your current exercise level, maybe you should tell him/her about it.

Or ditch the nutritionist and go your own way. But pick something.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If your net (left over calories after exercise) is only 500, then your body is only receiving 500 calories to maintain itself. That's really bad for you and will eventually slow down your metabolism.

I can tell you my experience which has lost me 46 pounds so I know it works. My "gross" allowance (total allowed to eat) is 1700. When I work out and burn 500 that leaves me with a net (leftover) of 1200. MFP took into account what my body needs so 1200 for my body type is too low. So if your gross is 1500 and you net 1000 after working out and burning 500 then you need to eat those calories back on this program. That's why you're scale is not moving. I can bet you anything that if you ate all your calories and the ones you burned on MFP you will start to lose weight. What happens is that when you feed your body the amount it needs it feels comfortable enough to let go of the fat. If you only give it 500 to manage your organs, oxygen levels, skin, etc. then it's going to hold on to your fat for future fuel. I promise you it works. Just give it a try.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    At some point you should decide whether to trust your nutritionist or random people on the internet. If your nutritionist said to eat 1500, knowing your exercise habits, then maybe you should do that. Or if your nutritionist didn't know about your current exercise level, maybe you should tell him/her about it.

Or ditch the nutritionist and go your own way. But pick something.

The nutritionist may be right that for your body you need 1500 calories. The problem is that after excercise, you're deducting from that 1500 and leaving the net to manage your body, you have to refuel and eat to get back those 1500 calories. The nutritionist may not have mentioned that part which explains why you're not losing weight. Your body is just scared to let go of the little fuel that it already has, the fat.