Yoga? I have questions?

Options
43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
I need opinions/advice on yoga from those who are in the know.
I'm in my early 40s with bad parts and have heard it's excellent
for that group. I'm also a tad lazy, well obviously, I got pretty big ..
lol OK with all that out there, is there an easy enough DVD that
you might recommend that will build me up perhaps to the harder
stuff? I won't lie, I seen yoga ppl, they look awesome! I want that
look too someday. Thanks for any input. :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The 10 Minute Solutions DVD is decent and basic. Rodney Yee is an excellent instructor, and I think his videos range the gamut from beginner to insane. I've enjoyed some of the Tara Stiles stuff I've found on YouTube and Rainbeau Mars (I found her on the BeFit channel on YouTube) is fun.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do the yoga I find on YouTube.

As the person before mentioned, Rainbeau Mars is good. Search YouTube for beginner yoga and go at your own pace. You DON'T have to keep up with them when you first start.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am not super experienced, but I love going to yoga! I try to go at least once a week. I have a friend that goes every day. I do not look like "a yoga person."

For me, there is nothing that beats a class. There's a free class I go to locally, but it isn't my favorite. My favorite classes are the ones where the teacher walks around and helps guide you into the correct pose occasionally. When I have a teacher guide me I realize "Oh! THAT'S what it's supposed to feel like!" A DVD cannot do that for you, no matter how great the instructor is verbally.

Start with a beginner class. Realize that you probably won't be able to do everything for a while. Yoga is about the journey of discovering how your body moves. Accomplishment of poses is a side affect, in my opinion.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am new to Yoga and have tried Many DVD's ... Not knowing your particular issues I do recommend any in a series of DVD's with Peggy Cappy. She has students that are of all levels and ages (the oldest being in their 90's) Here is a link to Walmart where you can purchase her videos: http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=Peggy+Cappy&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 OR see if your library has any of her videos and try them out first.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend taking a class. I know that it can be intimidating, but I can tell you first hand anyone that most people in your class are going to be focused on themselves and their practice, not what anyone else is doing. In fact, teachers where I go often encourage people to not worry about what anyone around them is doing just focus on themselves.

If you are new to yoga often the teacher will assist you by helping you feel where a pose should be, and if you are having trouble figuring out their cues they will also come help you figure it out.

There are people of all ages and sizes in all of my yoga classes, go out and take one, it will be way better than a DVD I promise you.
    Options
    Thank you everyone for these choices .. I'm probably
    going to start w/ DVD/YouTube but once I feel more
    secure within myself I'll try a class. I'm nervous enough
    to begin in my private atmosphere. lol
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    A class can be good because they will tell you if you are doing the moves wrong. Though any movement is good. Another free option if you have a smartphone or tablet is My Daily Yoga. It's an app that has both free and paid options. I paid for the extra workouts because it's only $24 bucks a year. They vary from pretty easy to somewhat difficult. The app is a little bit of a mix of yoga and palaties and some of the transitions are not as smooth as you'd get on a DVD.

Find a begenniner level prgram/DVD and work your way up. Yoga can feel really good sometimes.
  • jganton
    jganton Posts: 2
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a class. Doing yoga poses incorrectly can be dangerous. It is worth a bit of social discomfort to have an expert assist you in learning to perform the poses. I think dvds and such are best reserved for those who have a solid foundation in the basics. Most yoga studios have a welcoming and non judgemental atmosphere.
    Options
    In that case I might just lose about half if my remaining
    to loss. I will then get into a class. I do know a place but
    the ppl that go in/out of there are lean. I know it's
    supposed to be an excellent class there via info
    I was given by someone. I'm just insecure based on
    my size.
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    Being self conscious about your weight is kind of against the spirit of Yoga. Maybe just what I have taken away from it, but in general, Yoga isn' t the sort of thing you do to get a great body. It is more about the inside than the outside.
  • Chebeau
    Chebeau Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine took some private yoga classes before she started regular classes. Also, you will find all sorts of people in yoga classes so do not let it intimidate you. Are you in an area with multiple yoga studios? Different studios have different personalities and class offerings. One studio in my area offers a class called yoga for rounder bodies. There are dvds and books about yoga for rounder bodies. There even ideas on pinterest.

I do a mix of classes, videos, and ideas from books, magazines, and lately pinterest. Yoga can really help you feel stronger mentally and physically. I personally love it and love learning more about myself as I explore different poses.

One of my favorite books is Yoga to the Rescue: A Guide for Real Girls. The author explains the benefits of different poses and how to modify them. She is humorous as well.

Get some comfy yoga pants, a shirt that won't flip over your head when you do downward dog, a good mat ( I like the Aurorae mats found on Amazon), and an open mind so you can get started. Namaste!
  • Chebeau
    Chebeau Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/CurvyYoga/curvy-yogaspiration

There some good ideas on this pinterest page.
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/CurvyYoga/curvy-yogaspiration

There some good ideas on this pinterest page.

Thank you Chebeau. :)
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    YogaYoda.jpg

I read Yoda.... have you tried checking Wal-Mart or Amazon for yoga DVD's?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I use YogaToday which you can pay a membership fee too, similar to other online classes posters have mentioned, although you can just download their classes for less than $4 without joining. They have absolute beginners classes right up to "guru" level. I've been doing that for six years and have never stepped inside a yoga class and have never had a yoga related injury. I do avoid slightly risky poses like shoulder stand and plow but to be honest none of the YogaToday classes I've done seem to include those poses
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I go to hot yoga class, it's amazing but I have a basic Leah Bracknell yoga and you DVD very calm simple set up great if you're just starting
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There are studios that offer "Beginners Series", which would put you in a class with your peers. If you would like, you can message me your city and I'll find one that's appropriate.

There are many body types and levels of ability in yoga classes I go to.

If you want a dvd, you might try your library and see what they have.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide, I think you'll find that the yoga crowd is not intimidating like other activities.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. And I'd take this opportunity to mention something no one else has: the "yoga look" that you are thinking of? Those are models. Just like in the ads you see for protein powder and ab machines. I've had yoga teachers who are long and lean - like you're probably thinking of - and teachers who are short and stout, but so strong! Some are pudgy, and some are thin - fitness and health don't look any specific way.

You'll see young women and old men, and curvy girls and weightlifting guys. And they're all excited you're taking the time to stretch your boundaries!