Ladies - how do you deal with 'that time'?

Options
Okay so this will be a bit of a rant... Cause I am emotional and irritable and am eating anything that isn't nailed down!

So my question is this, how do you deal with the cravings and the over eating that week before Aunt Flow visits?

I am not necessarily hungry, but I just can't stop eating! I can't help but think of how good I was last year, how motivated I was to loose, I used to have issues getting to 1200 calories! Today I was over by 350! YOWSA!

I have a wedding coming up in 7 weeks, you think that would motivate me for that last 5-7 lbs but it's not even! I get a wave of motivation and just as fast as it came, it goes! I lost 57 lbs, I know how it's done, I just can't get the motivation! I used to go to Hot yoga at least 5 times a week.... now I am lucky if I go once a month! I am afraid I am spiralling again!

HELP :)

Replies

• NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Okay so this will be a bit of a rant... Cause I am emotional and irritable and am eating anything that isn't nailed down!

So my question is this, how do you deal with the cravings and the over eating that week before Aunt Flow visits?

I am not necessarily hungry, but I just can't stop eating! I can't help but think of how good I was last year, how motivated I was to loose, I used to have issues getting to 1200 calories! Today I was over by 350! YOWSA!

I have a wedding coming up in 7 weeks, you think that would motivate me for that last 5-7 lbs but it's not even! I get a wave of motivation and just as fast as it came, it goes! I lost 57 lbs, I know how it's done, I just can't get the motivation! I used to go to Hot yoga at least 5 times a week.... now I am lucky if I go once a month! I am afraid I am spiralling again!

HELP :)

I just drink more water than I do when I'm not on it. Also, I allow a chocolate bar sometime during that week (maybe even more than 1 bar).
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, right now. I'm drink drink drinking water like it's my job (it'll help keep the bloat down, too!) even though I want nothing more than to consume copious amounts of salt and chocolate. I convince myself that I need to drink 2 or 3 of my water bottles before I can snack on something again...and when I *do* get to snack, I'm eating a mix of berries (blueberries/strawberries - yum!) or sugar snap peas. Sugar snap peas are great because you really get that sense of munching.

Yesterday I gave in to the saltier cravings, but limited myself to 1 stick of string cheese and 1 100-cal bag of "kettle corn" popcorn.

I will push myself to work out because I know that my PMS symptoms are WAY worse if I skip them (even when my body feels sooooo lethargic) and if you really push through, when Aunt Flow actually visits, you see "magic" on the scale as you finally stop retaining all the extra water! :wink:

Hang in there, sister!!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I was just biatching about this on my newsfeed that I am carb crazy today.....well the last 3 days. Getting in a good workout seems to help alot and at times I just give in and then burn it off with exercise. Either way it is the same thing every single month. Best of luck to you and you will be great for your wedding because you CAN do this!
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time dealing with this too! I can't contribute anything helpful, just wanted to say that I understand and it totally sucks. :sad:
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at my diary and noticing how carby i get during Shark Week. I guess I just kind of just roll with it... i manage to stay under my calorie goal and eat what I want. If I did happen to go over, I probably wouldn't care too much anyway cuz I'm already cranky lol. But I do take in extra water also to try to avoid it if I can.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    try and make your cravings part of your meals- if you want toast or something then have it for lunch instead of an extra. It might make everything bit unbalanced but it works to avoid a binge. Well, most of the time.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just go with it and let it happen. I'm not really a binge eater, but on the few days before my period it feels like I am never quite satisfied and I am steadily eating throughout the day. It's only a few days and most of my choices are still healthy...I just eat more.

Hasn't really hurt my progress thus far and I've been at this for 7 months.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time dealing with this too! I can't contribute anything helpful, just wanted to say that I understand and it totally sucks. :sad:

^This :/
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    try and make your cravings part of your meals- if you want toast or something then have it for lunch instead of an extra. It might make everything bit unbalanced but it works to avoid a binge. Well, most of the time.

I do this ^^^ because if I don't plan it in there, it will wreck all my diligence.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I am always ravenous the week before as well. I always eat a lot more that week than what I normally do but I focus on it being healthy foods. I figure if my body is really sending those signals I better listen and feed it.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LOL - salty foods. I had a problem last month but bounced back. It's only a few days. I say if you are craving something, have a little of it.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to indulge a little to satisfy cravings and do the best I can. I'm only in really rough shape one or two days. One or two days isn't going to undo it all.
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOL, I swore I was the only one with this problem. I become a raging carb-aholic during that week. And I'm afraid to have just *one* of the thing I'm craving at the time, because I just want more.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Not well!!! That's all I've got :-(
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    This is how I dealt with it: H.Y.S.T.E.R.E.C.T.O.M.Y. :tongue:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I usually don't crave, except about four times a year I NEED McDonald's french fries. Luckily a small will do me.

I have more trouble with cramps so bad I was prescribed pain killers just to function. No exercise those days...
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This is how I dealt with it: H.Y.S.T.E.R.E.C.T.O.M.Y. :tongue:

Not a bad idea!
  • Librarymind
    Librarymind Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recognize that the gain is water gain and then I do what I can to keep the number down. When it's over, I get a nice drop at the end to a point below where I started. I feel like this is the best weight loss week of the month for that reason. I also take maitake mushrooms in capsule form during that week. They are good for female parts and they also help with weight loss. You can also get it in tea bags.

To deal with cravings I usually tell myself that those foods will always be around and available, and that I don't have to eat them right now, and that I can eat them later. This usually helps me think out a healthier choice. I've been eating lots of fruit like crazy. Also steamed vegetables, and fresh salad I make myself. And just lately I'm into blended fruit drinks with lots of nutritional powders in them. I don't force them down. I tell myself that I don't have to have them if I don't want them, and I'm just seeing where they take me.

I don't want my monthly time to end. I want it to go as long as possible, as an indication of how long I might live altogether. Also I really do think they help me lose weight. They also help us detox (through the blood), so thinking of it that way helps me to remember to cooperate and not add to the toxins.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have always bowed down to the beast, and had something salty and sweet. I have been trying to plan ahead and have something healthier to cheat with...Like PB2 mixed with yogurt with apples....
  • amandabrooke17
    amandabrooke17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't deal with it well :( Had 2 consecutive "cheat days"...and consumed 1# worth of food in that short time! I'm about to get back on B.C. too so anticipate I may gain some weight from it but hopefully that will even out some of the "time of the month" issues including the constant food cravings.