Should I build muscle while losing weight?

Options
I'm on track to lose 60 lbs by October, tracking caloric intake and regular cardio...the plan is working for me at this time.

My question is...while I'm working to lose in order to reach my ideal weight, should I also be trying to build muscle, or will that slow my weight loss? The only strength exercises I currently have at my disposal are calisthenics, so I'm not talking major growth anyway.

Your thoughts (based on experience)?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Strength train x 3 per week and cardio x 2 per week.

You won't build much muscle (if any) at a caloric deficit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't lift weights.
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ^^ yep, I think is more important to focus on keeping what muscle you have while in a calorie deficit.

Tim
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    And it takes more calories to feed muscle, so build some muscle as you lose, it will make your fat loss that much faster! (And go by inches..., or even better, by your body fat percentage---diff. than BMI, which is not so accurate, esp. as you build muscle!)
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm on track to lose 60 lbs by October, tracking caloric intake and regular cardio...the plan is working for me at this time.

My question is...while I'm working to lose in order to reach my ideal weight, should I also be trying to build muscle, or will that slow my weight loss? The only strength exercises I currently have at my disposal are calisthenics, so I'm not talking major growth anyway.

Your thoughts (based on experience)?

if youre on a caloric deficit, you can only maintain your current muscle mass. in order to preserve muscle while you lose weight, you need to lift heavy weight at low rep ranges and eat A LOT of protein. In my opinion its better to do one thing at time in order to achieve the best results. finish your cut and then start your bulk..dont try to do both at the same time.
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. You don't want to start losing muscle as well. Feed the muscle or you'll begin burning that away too.
  • JanOsterman
    JanOsterman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Based on advice from my personal trainer it is best to try and maximize protein and to lift weights to preserve your muscle mass while on calorie deficit. If you don´t do that then your body will eat up your muscles as well as your fat and at least for me that is not what I want.

BR,

- 10 kg and + 4kg muscles = -14 kg fat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Strength train x 3 per week and cardio x 2 per week.

You won't build much muscle (if any) at a caloric deficit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't lift weights.

this
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It`s completely possible. You just have to keep the weight training high and cardio low, and might I suggest a more anabolic diet such as the renegade diet.
    http://choppysreviews.com/the-renegade-diet/