Freaking out-eating out

Options
Have to go to dinner,have to order off the menu.what can I safeky eat to not throw myself off, or is it one of those things that once I'm off just scrap the day and start over.ugh. Freaking out.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What restaurant is it? A local one? If it's American-style, often a plain steak with vegetables is a decent bet. You could also order a salad (one that isn't loaded with too many extras like cheese or bacon) and get dressing on the side so you can control the portion.
  • fatmommy2013
    Options
    I get the feeling its not American style, but more like a fast food deal. What a options in case they don't hae steak or salad. Are there basic low sugar foods I can look for (remind me please) ..

Desperate,
    The girl who already ate dinner
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Have to go to dinner,have to order off the menu.what can I safeky eat to not throw myself off, or is it one of those things that once I'm off just scrap the day and start over.ugh. Freaking out.

I try and look at the menu online a head of time, and if not I look at the selections and make a realistic choice on what fits my diet best. A char grilled steak over season vegetables sounds much better than the sante fe chicken salad with fried wontons, corn, beans, and chipotle dressing.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I get the feeling its not American style, but more like a fast food deal. What a options in case they don't hae steak or salad. Are there basic low sugar foods I can look for (remind me please) ..

Desperate,
    The girl who already ate dinner

If you don't want to eat unhealthy, don't. Order a drink or something to snack on that's light or be honest and say that you already ate dinner and are there to hang out.
  • fatmommy2013
    Options
    It's a family thing. There very little option. If you don't eat, something is wrong type of crew. Ill e really hoping for a salad or something I can easily figure approximates on. Thank god I got that workout in today. Even without it I till have. Littke wiggle room.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One meal isn't going to completely stop you from losing weight in the long run.. but if you're not hungry, don't order anything, and don't worry about what your family says. Or just get an appetizer. Or order a regular meal and save most of it for another day.

Here's a list of words to look out for on the menu descriptions of foods that are likely better (grilled, baked, etc.) and others to avoid (fried, loaded, etc.): http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=115
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    One meal is not going to destroy your progress. Relax a little. Eat with your family, make them happy.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat out 5-6 nights a week and have no problem dropping weight. Look up the restaurant's nutrition facts if they're available, if not then find similar items that are already in the database and go for the higher estimates, that's what I do. You will be fine :)
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Veggies, veggies, veggies.

And, then a little of what everyone else is having.

Our stomach has about a 3 cup capacity, and it doesn't care if you fill it up with bacon or veggies. But, 3 cups of veggies will be kinder on your hips.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    EAT HALF the portion no bread have a salad or a soup if that is an option as a sort of a filler...get the dressing on the side non creamy or oil make sure its vinegar base or light....and drink water...don't have pasta have fish or chicken grilled or baked........whatever you do EAT half and enjoy the rest the next day for lunch *winks*....no potato...ask for extra veggies instead...
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to find out which restaurant you are going to and look up the nutrition info online. I went to Applebees today for my birthday lunch (a friend always treats me to lunch for my birthday even though it really is tomorrow) and made sure to look up the nutrition info first. It was a really good thing as even most of their salads hit the 1000 calorie mark. I stuck with their under 550 calorie menu and had a delicious meal of spicy shrimp, broccoli and rice for about 380 calories. If I hadn't, I probably would have been kicking myself when I got home. So I really suggest you look it up first.

If you can't find the nutrition info, the previous advice from a number of people is right on.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My go to with eating out is a grilled chicken sandwich (no sauces or cheese) with fruit or veggies on the side. Most restaurants will have something like that. Then you don't get the weird looks either. I have an app on my phone too for restaurant choices under 600 calories that helps me lots. If you can try to see the menu before you go too and make your decision beforehand.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

I try and look at the menu online a head of time, and if not I look at the selections and make a realistic choice on what fits my diet best. A char grilled steak over season vegetables sounds much better than the sante fe chicken salad with fried wontons, corn, beans, and chipotle dressing.

This sounds like good advice. Even Mcdonalds has things on their menu that wont ruin your daily caloric intake. Here are a few things I like to do to reduce my caloric intake when eating out
    1. Go with tomato sauce over cheese sauce
    2. Opt for veggies instead of potato's..I often order double the veggies and most fast food places even serve veggies now.
    3. Ask for no cheese, no mayo, light or no dressing
    4. Avoid the bread basket or limit myself to one slice of bread, or one breadstick

It really helps if you know where you are going and can look up the menu in advance and plan your meal before you go. It can be easy for the calories to add up and there is often a lot of extra oil and butter added to make it taste better. Even on steak they usually top it with a ladle of melted butter and seasoning, so don't be afraid to be a picky eater and ask for no butter or substitute for healthier options.
  • mitfam
    mitfam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Look for lean, no fat, don't eat skin from chicken, turkey is a lean meat too. However, if it's family, they are more likely to appreciate your company than be worrying what you are putting in your mouth, surely? Besides, it's just one meal. I allow myself one or two meals a week, when I eat what I want, IF I feel like it. I am still losing weight.

Don't worry about one meal. E joy yourself and their company too :)
  • adrylong
    adrylong Posts: 29
    Options
    Grilled chicken is always a good option. Salads with olive oil and vinegar on the side (to help you control how much dressing/calories) is also good.