America no longer world’s fattest developed nation

Options
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/america-fattest-obese-un-144341236.html

'Murica! *kitten* yeeeaahhh!

"Nearly a third of Mexican adults (32.8 percent) are considered obese—people aged 20 and older whose body mass index (BMI) is 30 and above. That edges out the United States, where 31.8 percent of American adults are considered obese.

Syria at 31.6 percent, is the third fattest among developed countries, while Venezuela and Libya are tied for fourth at 30.8 percent.

Mexico's urban lifestyle and rising income levels coupled with malnourishment among the country's poor have helped it claim this unhealthy title.

'The same people who are malnourished are the ones who are becoming obese,' Abelardo Avila, a physician with Mexico's National Nutrition Institute, told the Global Post. 'In the poor classes we have obese parents and malnourished children. The worst thing is the children are becoming programmed for obesity. It's a very serious epidemic.'"

Replies

• WendyLee74
    Options
    I wish the links were clickable..

Love that news, thanks for the share!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    FCK YEA FINALLY THE FAT JOKES WILL STOP
  • FrayaLace
    FrayaLace Posts: 14
    Options
    See the sad thing is, we didn't get thinner, somewhere else got fatter. I don't really call that a victory.
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    FCK YEA FINALLY THE FAT JOKES WILL STOP

nah, it just spread from here down to mexico, the jokes such as that will continue :wink: :laugh:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Sadly not because we are healthier, just that another nation has become even more unhealthy.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    See the sad thing is, we didn't get thinner, somewhere else got fatter. I don't really call that a victory.
    this

Plus I'm not totally sure I believe we as Americans are thinner, it only takes a glance to see much unhealthiness all around us.

I too don't take victory in passing the torch based on an article.

So instead of #1 we're now #2?:blushing:

1 Mexico 32.8
    2 United States 31.8

This!

Plus, it is a little sad people are so excited about not being the fattest country, meanwhile people in the fattest countries are suffering from malnourishment. That is not necessarily the #1 cause for obesity in the US. Not to mention, Mexico isn't exactly considered developed, it is developing. There is a difference.
    agreed
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options

This!

Plus, it is a little sad people are so excited about not being the fattest country, meanwhile people in the fattest countries are suffering from malnourishment. That is not necessarily the #1 cause for obesity in the US. Not to mention, Mexico isn't exactly considered developed, it is developing. There is a difference.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yeah! America shaming! And I grew up thinking baseball was our pastime :)
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I blame this guy.

tacobelldog_zps02ba31ec.jpg
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    As long as we're not number 1!