Get rid of that sweet tooth: How to quit sugar

Options

Replies

• gebona
    gebona Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello eveyone, and great posts. I have not elliminated my junk sugar intake completely , but I have greatly decreased it. The thing that did it for me was finding out that sugar breaks down protien. The less muscle mass you have, the less calories you need and/or can eat( Idiots Guide to Nutrition,and Wielders Nutrition Guide). I like to eat, so it was easier for me to limit just knowing that.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Got rid of my cravings with shakeology nutrition drink. Simple!

There is sugar in those shakes, hun.

You know you can't completely deplete the body of sugars. That and sugar in Shakeology is minimal at best anyway and is natural, Considering its made with mostly fruits and vegetables. Its even been recently certified to have a lower GI score than Apples as well. http://images.beachbody.com/pdf/Shakeology_LowGI.pdf

If you'd like to talk about it more feel free to PM, don't want to hijack this nice thread.

It's 9 grams of added crystalline fructose.

That's not exactly "natural" sugar.

Its 9 grams, if you're really going to cry over that, you must live on a very strict diet. But you sir are very awesome indeed for doing what works for you. But If you/anyone eat yogurts(lord only knows how many items have a sugar in them "natural" or not) of any kind you've likely eaten some form of half natural/half artifical sweetener. As far as I know fructose (noT HFCS), is a perfectly okay form of sugar. Its not my place to nitpick over the type of sugars, as long as its not HFCS or proven to be adversely bad for consumption anyway. needless to say my sugar ranges from 20 to 30grams any given day.

IF you honestly haven't tried one, you can't claim anything against it for your reasons for not using it come out to be the same as someone dismissing, either going to the gym because they do workouts and run at home, or someone that dismisses home fitness dvds because they go to the gym. All while never trying to the options. Whatever works for you, works for you, we get that, but it gives you no right to preach down anyone elses opionion of what worked for them.

Then answer isn't shakeology, its whatever helps you get healthy, it was under MY understanding that anyone is free to post what works for them. Not a single person except you, has dismissed someone elses post. Simple as that, 9 grams of sugar for one meal with healthy benefits. (gasp, one people say have helped them beat other food cravings.)Is and will be far better than eating a twinkie. Its about replacing something horrible with something healthy. But since you haven't tried it and won't, its only your loss for not seeing if there are any benefits of having it in your diet. thats your choice and no one is forcing that on you. Considering its made from GASP OMG REAL FOODs but turned into a powder and brings a caloric value, and is consumed and provides fuel its still a source of energy or AKA food.

:) Good day to you.

Edit: I also dig your NPH picture, if you haven't already, check out Dr Horrible's blog.

Haha, whaaaaaaaat? Where did I "preach" down to you? I stated a FACT. 9 GRAMS OF SUGAR direct from the ingredient label.

I ate 4 total grams of sugar today. That's pretty normal for me. There's days when I may approach 10-15 because of fruit or Greek yogurt, but again, like my other post said above there, I eat them sparingly.

I've tried Shakeology. I wasted a lot of money on two bags of the stuff. And yeah, yeah, I know the ingredient list and all that stuff. But before you jump down my throat for "bashing" your product, hear me out - the stuff is SWEET. Beyond sickening sweet. When some of us have something THAT sweet in flavor, it triggers a chain reaction of sugar cravings for the rest of the day. It basically renders the product useless as it's not very filling and just triggers cravings.

And blah blah blah....

So before you jump on the bash BarneyStinson train, get YOUR post straight.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

<snip> sweet in flavor, it triggers a chain reaction of sugar cravings for the rest of the day. <snip>

Same for me, never tried Shakeology so can't make a statement about that at all. But in regards to sugars, wow, sometimes it really sets me off. Definitely simply sugars but even the other day I ate watermelon and an hour later I was craving PB M & M's. weird...but it was the natural fruit sugar, since the GI level in watermelon is high. But I love it anyhow:love:

Just me tossing in my thoughts on part of this extended quote, I snipped out alot of it as it was getting long and I was merely replying to a bit of it. :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Hello eveyone, and great posts. I have not elliminated my junk sugar intake completely , but I have greatly decreased it. The thing that did it for me was finding out that sugar breaks down protien. The less muscle mass you have, the less calories you need and/or can eat( Idiots Guide to Nutrition,and Wielders Nutrition Guide). I like to eat, so it was easier for me to limit just knowing that.
    Wellllllllllll Looks like I'll be headed back to the library to check out this book now. lol I never realized that.."protein is broken down by sugar", if I used to know it, I'd forgotten it, so I appreciate your post for the reminder! Yet another good reason for me to stick to healthy choices in moderation.

Thanks!
    Becca
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Wellllllllllll Looks like I'll be headed back to the library to check out this book now. lol I never realized that.."protein is broken down by sugar", if I used to know it, I'd forgotten it, so I appreciate your post for the reminder! Yet another good reason for me to stick to healthy choices in moderation.

Thanks!
    Becca

Sugar does not break down protein. Protein is broken down by the Enzymes....................

In particular this one:

protease – breaks down proteins found in meats, nuts, eggs, and cheese

Enzymes and Amino Acids are what breaks down protein.

Becca - You didn't know it, simply because it is not true!!!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I gave up refined sugar 7-8 years ago. I spent the first three days in bed with migraine headaches. I had no idea they were from quitting sugar until a year later a friend quit eating sugar and said "you didn't tell me I would get a headache." Oops.

I didn't really lose much weight at the time, 10lbs, but I did go from a size 12 to a size 6. It was like being a teenage girl all over again. Every week for about three months my body was different. My hips, stomach and upper thighs just melted away to other parts of my body. I'm think now, that I must have been pre-diabetic. I'm NOT saying this will happen to anyone but me. This is a purely anecdotal story, my story yes, but purely anecdotal.

I don't know how I did it. I just woke up one day and said I'm not going to eat sugar for the month of March. (I used to be catholic) I'll give up sugar for a month and see how it goes. Well sense it was the hardest thing I've ever done, I wasn't going to do it again, so I haven't had any sense. I feel good about it, but I don't preach it. It's not for everyone and that's okay. So not preaching, just thought I would share my story sense the tread is about sugar.

And before you go to my diary and flame me about something I may have eaten with sugar in the ingredient list. I'm not a sugar lunatic. I read the label if I miss it or if it's a truly negligible level (.5 to 1g/ some huge amount) I don't make myself crazy. If I can't read the label, I make the best realistic guess I can. Please remember I'm not asking anyone else to make my choice, I'm just sharing my story. (can you tell I get a lot of **** when I tell people I don't eat sugar. Hee Hee)
  • gebona
    Options
    I wasn't talking about the protien you eat, I was refering to muscle in your body. I was shocked when I read it too, but I will go back and double check it.
  • gebona
    Options
    Well I cannot find the books, and I cannot find it on the internet anywhere. I must have missread it,I am truely sorry for passing on false information, it was unintensional. Though I have to admit, it did help me stay away from sweets so I am glad I misread it, but I will not pass it on anymore.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Well I cannot find the books, and I cannot find it on the internet anywhere. I must have missread it,I am truely sorry for passing on false information, it was unintensional. Though I have to admit, it did help me stay away from sweets so I am glad I misread it, but I will not pass it on anymore.
    Well I took the info from you in good faith and took it have yet another reason to chill back on sugars if I get a craving, so for ME?? Your info was priceless, thank you gebona!!:flowerforyou: :heart:

Becca
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I gave up refined sugar 7-8 years ago. I spent the first three days in bed with migraine headaches. I had no idea they were from quitting sugar until a year later a friend quit eating sugar and said "you didn't tell me I would get a headache." Oops.

I didn't really lose much weight at the time, 10lbs, but I did go from a size 12 to a size 6. It was like being a teenage girl all over again. Every week for about three months my body was different. My hips, stomach and upper thighs just melted away to other parts of my body. I'm think now, that I must have been pre-diabetic. I'm NOT saying this will happen to anyone but me. This is a purely anecdotal story, my story yes, but purely anecdotal.

I don't know how I did it. I just woke up one day and said I'm not going to eat sugar for the month of March. (I used to be catholic) I'll give up sugar for a month and see how it goes. Well sense it was the hardest thing I've ever done, I wasn't going to do it again, so I haven't had any sense. I feel good about it, but I don't preach it. It's not for everyone and that's okay. So not preaching, just thought I would share my story sense the tread is about sugar.

And before you go to my diary and flame me about something I may have eaten with sugar in the ingredient list. I'm not a sugar lunatic. I read the label if I miss it or if it's a truly negligible level (.5 to 1g/ some huge amount) I don't make myself crazy. If I can't read the label, I make the best realistic guess I can. Please remember I'm not asking anyone else to make my choice, I'm just sharing my story. (can you tell I get a lot of **** when I tell people I don't eat sugar. Hee Hee)

Hi Paige,
    Well I'm far from the sugar police. :) You look terrific and I love to view your diary because it's always got yummy healthy ideas in it! Guess we all take 'sugars in our diet' differently, the term I mean. I guess for me now I think of simple sugars/junk carbs as being sugars I chose to keep very very limited for myself. But fruit etc., I don't worry to much about, same with veggies as they too have sugar in them. I no longer eat a lb. bag of M & M's (oh wait do they still make that size? lol) etc., I prefer something naturally sweet, fruit etc. But if I have a treat, so be it but it can most definitely trigger me so I find it easiest to steer clear as much as possible.

Glad you posted, I got alot out of it, plus now I know I'm not the only 'recovering Catholic' out here......:smokin: :tongue:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Haha, whaaaaaaaat? Where did I "preach" down to you? I stated a FACT. 9 GRAMS OF SUGAR direct from the ingredient label.

I ate 4 total grams of sugar today. That's pretty normal for me. There's days when I may approach 10-15 because of fruit or Greek yogurt, but again, like my other post said above there, I eat them sparingly.

I've tried Shakeology. I wasted a lot of money on two bags of the stuff. And yeah, yeah, I know the ingredient list and all that stuff. But before you jump down my throat for "bashing" your product, hear me out - the stuff is SWEET. Beyond sickening sweet. When some of us have something THAT sweet in flavor, it triggers a chain reaction of sugar cravings for the rest of the day. It basically renders the product useless as it's not very filling and just triggers cravings.

And blah blah blah....

Hm my post didn't go through. Anyway, majority of my post was meant for the person below you, they just weren't quoted in there although I thought they were. I figured the paragraph spacing was enough to point that out but I guess not. She was the one preaching. You're the one being extreme about sugar intake.

Sweet is subjective to a person's taste buds. 9grams of sugar is not sweet to me. None of the Shakeology drinks are sweet to me, nor do any of them trigger any sugar cravings. I have been told by people that like the Greenberry drink that they find it sweet but I have never found the drink to be sweet in the slightest and the chocolate taste like a hershey syrup/hot chocolate to me, almost close to dark chocolate but not quite. I hate dark chocolate, where as other people love it. As I stated previous, good for you and your low sugar diet. I eat up to 30grams at the bare minimal of my diet. Sugars aren't something I aim low for, only carbs. But since I am mainly a high protein person, its usually low, except for when I am drinking milk. (Which I refuse to give up :) )

The point is this. You and the other poster are jumping on someone because they said Shakeology helped them. What's your problem? You should be happy that it helped them, even if it didn't help you. Since you said you purchased it twice, which is a shame that it didn't work in your favor. It did have its money back guarantee if it didn't work for you so you must have been hopeful. It fills and curbs others sugar craving. If drinking it triggers a sugar craving for you, that is related purely to the fact of your low sugar diet and likely your mentality towards sugar. In short, you're dieting in a area where youre low in sugar but you taste something that you find sweet (Sweet as in, you're mentally comparing it to say.. a doughtnut or a candy bar, something with a high amount of sugar grams, also your own taste buds playing a role as well) and you're kicked back into that binge habit. That's on you alone, sorry. thats just my opionion. If you don't have the willpower to resist temptation, you're the only one to blame. No one is force feeding you or making you eat the sugar, so you're doing what you need for YOUR diet. Again, Look at your words, SOME OF US. Not all of you. Which is my point. I see your side but you refuse to see anyone elses point but your own. I'll be honest I don't frequent these boards but Im not going to outright bash someone for their opionion.

Edit: I can also add that everyone has some addictive trigger at one point or another. I believe in eating a diet that works for you, that is healthy, but that isn't extreme, unless you're after results of a specific kind. If I was competition prrepping, then my diet would be more strict than it already is at the moment. Throwing yourself into a extremely strict diet, is a dangerous area that will more often than not, lead to yo-yo like results. and I know this through my own trial and error until I found what works for ME. What works for me may not work for you or the next person. That's just how the world turns.

That is also a great Story Paige, I found my biggest weight loss came when I dropped salt and butter for several weeks, they're back in my diet now but in different forms. I like how it takes a little bit of kosher salt to really bring out the flavor in something, where as before it was like I needed a mound of table salt to get any flavor.
  • gebona
    Options
    <HUGS> Becca :flowerforyou:
  • AmenoKaji
    Options
    I wasn't talking about the protien you eat, I was refering to muscle in your body. I was shocked when I read it too, but I will go back and double check it.

You might have read something about the liver making glucose by breaking down muscle protein/tissue, but I am not 100% on that. :)
  • bubbab666
    Options

You know you can't completely deplete the body of sugars. That and sugar in Shakeology is minimal at best anyway and is natural, Considering its made with mostly fruits and vegetables. Its even been recently certified to have a lower GI score than Apples as well. http://images.beachbody.com/pdf/Shakeology_LowGI.pdf

If you'd like to talk about it more feel free to PM, don't want to hijack this nice thread.

Its 9 grams, if you're really going to cry over that, you must live on a very strict diet. But you sir are very awesome indeed for doing what works for you. But If you/anyone eat yogurts(lord only knows how many items have a sugar in them "natural" or not) of any kind you've likely eaten some form of half natural/half artifical sweetener. As far as I know fructose (noT HFCS), is a perfectly okay form of sugar. Its not my place to nitpick over the type of sugars, as long as its not HFCS or proven to be adversely bad for consumption anyway. needless to say my sugar ranges from 20 to 30grams any given day.

IF you honestly haven't tried one, you can't claim anything against it for your reasons for not using it come out to be the same as someone dismissing, either going to the gym because they do workouts and run at home, or someone that dismisses home fitness dvds because they go to the gym. All while never trying to the options. Whatever works for you, works for you, we get that, but it gives you no right to preach down anyone elses opionion of what worked for them.

Then answer isn't shakeology, its whatever helps you get healthy, it was under MY understanding that anyone is free to post what works for them. Not a single person except you, has dismissed someone elses post. Simple as that, 9 grams of sugar for one meal with healthy benefits. (gasp, one people say have helped them beat other food cravings.)Is and will be far better than eating a twinkie. Its about replacing something horrible with something healthy. But since you haven't tried it and won't, its only your loss for not seeing if there are any benefits of having it in your diet. thats your choice and no one is forcing that on you. Considering its made from GASP OMG REAL FOODs but turned into a powder and brings a caloric value, and is consumed and provides fuel its still a source of energy or AKA food.

Edit: I also dig your NPH picture, if you haven't already, check out Dr Horrible's blog.

And blah blah blah....

Barney's posts are dead-on IMO.
    Kudos to the thread starter. INSULIN Management is KEY.
    SUgars are sugars, natural or not. They cause larger insulin spikes in many cases than starches. The trend in ingredients these days is fructose... They bank on the fact that people fall for the " natural is good" gimmick. Cocaine is natural, arsenic is natural. If a food has packaging that is trying to "inform" you of anything it is 99% not REAL food.
    Sorry, i'm rambling. Need to get to bed.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

And blah blah blah....

Barney's posts are dead-on IMO.
    Kudos to the thread starter. INSULIN Management is KEY.
    SUgars are sugars, natural or not. They cause larger insulin spikes in many cases than starches. The trend in ingredients these days is fructose... They bank on the fact that people fall for the " natural is good" gimmick. Cocaine is natural, arsenic is natural. If a food has packaging that is trying to "inform" you of anything it is 99% not REAL food.
    Sorry, i'm rambling. Need to get to bed.

Thank you.

Good point on the insulin spikes - it's often something that's overlooked. I'm not a diabetic but have tested my blood sugar to see the effects of various sweets. My fasting BG level is 60-70. After a piece of cake and ice cream (estimated 40 grams of sugar), it doubled - 145. It maintained near that at 4 hours post, then came back down. Items with 15-20 grams of sugar, let's say a smoothie prepared with yogurt and fruit, will usually take it up to 105. 105 isn't bad, but anything over 100 isn't preferable.

So, even for someone with extremely healthy blood sugar levels, even a "moderate" amount of sweets can spike blood sugar, and usually trigger cravings. Re-reading my rebuttal regarding Shakeology, yeah, the post was a bit immature in tone and wasn't meant as an offense to anyone. I'm still not convinced that it's an ideal solution for most who try it and there are considerably cheaper options out there with far less sugar (see recipe below...)

Most all of us can create energy drinks at home from whole food sources that don't create insulin spikes. Here's my go to post workout shake, a good source of wholesome fat and protein that keeps me good and full for 3-4 hours...I buy the ingredients in bulk and get the eggs locally to keep cost down...

1/3 cup of coconut milk
    1 -2 eggs, raw (or, alternatively 1/3 cup eggbeaters - they're pasteurized for safety)
    1/2 cup of ice water
    3 ice cubes
    1 T cocoa powder (100%, unsweetened - Ghiradelli's is really good)
    1 T ground flax
    1/2 T flax oil (awesome Omega 3 source)
    1 packet (or several drops) pure stevia extract
    handful of spinach (sounds gross, but hear me out, it blends in with a nice texture)
    OPTIONAL - 1 oz raspberries or blueberries, nicer if frozen
    OPTIONAL - protein powder

Blend and enjoy.
  • AmenoKaji
    Options

Thank you.

Good point on the insulin spikes - it's often something that's overlooked. I'm not a diabetic but have tested my blood sugar to see the effects of various sweets. My fasting BG level is 60-70. After a piece of cake and ice cream (estimated 40 grams of sugar), it doubled - 145. It maintained near that at 4 hours post, then came back down. Items with 15-20 grams of sugar, let's say a smoothie prepared with yogurt and fruit, will usually take it up to 105. 105 isn't bad, but anything over 100 isn't preferable.

So, even for someone with extremely healthy blood sugar levels, even a "moderate" amount of sweets can spike blood sugar, and usually trigger cravings. Re-reading my rebuttal regarding Shakeology, yeah, the post was a bit immature in tone and wasn't meant as an offense to anyone. I'm still not convinced that it's an ideal solution for most who try it and there are considerably cheaper options out there with far less sugar (see recipe below...)

Most all of us can create energy drinks at home from whole food sources that don't create insulin spikes. Here's my go to post workout shake, a good source of wholesome fat and protein that keeps me good and full for 3-4 hours...I buy the ingredients in bulk and get the eggs locally to keep cost down...

1/3 cup of coconut milk
    1 -2 eggs, raw (or, alternatively 1/3 cup eggbeaters - they're pasteurized for safety)
    1/2 cup of ice water
    3 ice cubes
    1 T cocoa powder (100%, unsweetened - Ghiradelli's is really good)
    1 T ground flax
    1/2 T flax oil (awesome Omega 3 source)
    1 packet (or several drops) pure stevia extract
    handful of spinach (sounds gross, but hear me out, it blends in with a nice texture)
    OPTIONAL - 1 oz raspberries or blueberries, nicer if frozen
    OPTIONAL - protein powder

Blend and enjoy.

Its cool, I could have clarified it better. Trust me, by no means do I expect someone to buy/use Shakeology if they have alternate means. But it has worked in my favor, I can only say Im' sorry it didn't work for you. When it comes to health and budget however, its whatever keeps you alive/anyone alive. The main reason I use Shakeology besides all of the benefits you've heard about is because still as a picky eater(only certain fruits, and very few vegetables.), it is the easist/quickest way for me to take in a vegetable/fruit source. i'm a coach, its only 90 bucks for me, so its worth the price for me since it meets things I have been deficient in most of my life.

I will only recommend things that I know have worked for me and I pay/trust to use and think its worth the money. Like I could never recommend the beachbody protein, because I think its formula is horrible and that its overpriced, I will and do point to other protein brands I use and or have used based on taste or price range.

That's a great postworkout right there. For my omega 3/6/9s, i use this in my shakes http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/fiber3.html (only one of the fiber/omega sources i take) my post workout is always a single (cardio) or double scoop of whey protein, in a cup of skim milk or Calorie Countdown (if its available). the mentioned powder. the optionals for me comes down to what I feel like at the time, but thats the standard, sometimes its a small banana/half of one, or blueberries.

I use to be 440lbs, I use to be dangerously close to being diabetic too at one point as well. I do know the effects of extremely high sugar levels on my own body, slight insulin spikes here and there from an intake of sugar hasn't been a big deal for me, simply because my diet is still low in sugar (mostly from the skim milk i drink.)overall for the entire day. I workout twice in most days and the milk is in my protein shake directly after a workout. Fructose, isn't a sugar that bothers me unless its HIgh Fructose Corn Syrup (AKA the crap empty sugar source in 95% of all products that are on store shelves)

Crap snackcakes and candybars with HFCS are the only things that I eat that will cause that, craving, to keep eating more sugar, of course thats by their design anyway.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not all "sugars" are the the same. That's why there is a Glycemic Index. I don't care where you eat on the index, but it's good to be aware that there can be a very big difference in insulin reaction from one "sugar" to another.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    sugar bump
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    bummpppo
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bummpppo
    perfect timing for me Karissa:flowerforyou: , saw the chocolate bar on another thread and wanted to lick the screen:blushing: but stopped myself just in time.:tongue::smokin: