crazy stuff you see at the gym

Options
My gym is in Greenwich Village, so maybe there is more than the average amount of crazy, but I've really seen some looniness. Today's wasn't the craziest ever, just nude ab blast in the sauna. The craziest I've ever seen was a woman scrubbing herself with a brillo pad (the green scouring pad normally used to wash dishes).

Do I just have a knack for seeing these things? What's the craziest thing you've seen at the gym?

Replies

• robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I once saw two novices sit reverse on a decline bech so they could do inclines. They didn't use a lot of weight but it sure was strange. Guess they didn't want to wait for the incline bench since the weight room in Hurlburt Field is TINY and always packed.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Woman trying to dribble a medicine ball. She was trying the third one when I explained what a medicine ball was. We had a good laugh.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    There is a guy, 60 something, who runs in the treadmill. As he gets closer to the end he begins screaming and saying things like: "You are a good boy!" "You are pretty, you are ugly!" "give it to me!" "come on, hmm, hmm hmm..oh yeeeess!" and other equally disturbing phrases. Everyone is startled by his moaning, it is, at best, annoying an distracting.
  • nblais06
    nblais06 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Woman trying to dribble a medicine ball. She was trying the third one when I explained what a medicine ball was. We had a good laugh.

:laugh:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer, I have to pass on what I've seen at my hotel pool in the past two weeks:

1. 40 teems in the pool, a teacher who was having them create a whirlpool effect while I swam laps. That was a tough swim.

2. Scuba divers in the pool. Gear was floating before they started, then while they were under, it was like swimming with whales. Big shapes soundlessly appeared under water.

3. A convention of clowns, most drunk and all in the water.

4. The Creepy Guy, an older (late 50's) guy who drifts in the water and spends way too much time checking out the little girls, my daughter included. I've already talked to management and the police.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was jogging on the treadmill and a lady a few machines down for me, was walking, pulled out and ate two packs of Reese's Cups.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    -At my old gym in the showers. This old wrinkly white dude would sit there, undress, and hold his d*ck looking at whoever came in the locker room. He would be there for hours.

In retrospect when I am that old I probably will not care either.

-My gym before my most previous: A guy came in and literally started jumping and rolling over equiptment like a ninja. There were two benches parallel, this fool jumped over one and tumbled over the other. He did this for like 10 sets. He then hopped on the chin-up bars and started swinging. At one point he had so much momentum that he was 90 degrees parallel to the floor. I was trying so hard not to laugh.

-This other guy had tourettes and used to make all kinds of sounds, turns out he got hired at my new gym and got over his tourettes.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    People working out and minding their business.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Me working out my back, seams like people are always looking at me when i do certain exercises.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Me working out my back, seams like people are always looking at me when i do certain exercises.

Maybe it's because you're super handsome and swole bra!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    me last night! I was starting my final sets of squats, did the first rep, on the second rep I got too low and sat down. Thankfully the safety bars were in place. I was laughing at myself, and told the guy in the rack next to me that it was the first time it had happened. Then I was standing looking at the bar on the safety racks, thinking 'there's no way I can lift this back up, I'm going to have to unrack all the weights' and thankfully he came over to help lift it back up. He didn't even try to hide his laughter (a good job, because neither was I!). What a numpty! :)
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    Quote: "People working out and minding their business"

I know, I know. I try. But sometimes it's so hard! I guess people watching at the gym sometimes just helps to keep it from getting too boring.

This reminds me that a friend of mine was complaining to me about people who read while working out. He said, "If you can read while you are doing it, you aren't working hard enough." I told him to mind his own workout.

And then the very next week, I saw a guy running on the indoor track holding an open, full-sized newspaper out in front of him as he jogged. It was amazing!

(edited to add in the remark this is in repsonse to!)
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen this girl for a while but she use to come in and use the step calf machine for about 2 hours, while reading a book and drinking sometimes two 2 litre bottles of pop usually pepsi. I never understood that.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    There's this guy at the gym I go to, bless him he's absolutely tiny, like a stick. And every morning I see him, the first thing he does is bicep curls using about 2kg of weight and doing about 50 reps, as quickly as possible, swinging his body backwards and forwards. I have gone up to him and asked him if needs any advice but he says no.

I don't see him being there much longer.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    people curling in the squat rack

people squatting in the curl rack

cats and dogs living together

this world is in complete chaos
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    It was just a couple of weeks ago. Walking to the training room with my personal trainer. Saw a couple of young guys (late teens/early 20s). One guy was kneeling, holding his buddy's ankles like he was goign to do crunches or sit-ups. Oh no. From laying down, he stood all the way up. Besides the strain on the back, he ended up thrusting "his junk" into the face of his buddy holding his ankles. Over and over again. I haven't seen a lap dance with that much hip thrusting before. My trainer and I watched wondering WTF they thought they were accomplishing. But I realized it may been the gayest thing i have ever seen. Normally I loathe the phrase "that's so gay" Because being a gay man who has seen and done more than you could possibly imagine. But that really was the gayest thing I may have ever seen. And that really is saying something. So we just went to our training room and I started smacking my head. With a kettlebell. To get that image out of my brain. It didn't work.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    2. Scuba divers in the pool. Gear was floating before they started, then while they were under, it was like swimming with whales. Big shapes soundlessly appeared under water.

When someone is getting certified to scuba dive the classes are held in pools so it's not that odd.

I really don't have any crazy stuff that I see in the gym other than people doing exercises very, very wrong.