how can I lose weight during ramadan?

Options
Its ramadan now and I can only eat between roughly 10pm and 4am. How am I going to lose weight considering all my eating is going to be done before sleeping

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't exceed your daily allowance you should be fine. It's meant to be a myth about when you eat making a difference to weight loss. If you are using more calories than you eat you lose. Take care if it's hot where you are.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    What time you eat makes no difference. Just stay within your calorie limits and look at 16:8 fasting or leangains. It's what you'll be doing in essence.

It has to be hard this time of year when there's so much daylight, but you absolutely can lose weight this month. You'll be ravenous when you do eat, so just be sure you don't overdo it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    By counting your calories and being in a deficit for the day.

That you eat before sleep doesn't matter.

The idea that late night food turns to fat ignores that you will have been burning fat all day long while fasting.
    Loss is about the calorie balance over a period of time.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Oh, and drink your water before you eat (well, after the dates, of course)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    My friends who observe Ramadan, always loss some weight. Be careful to not over do it during the summer days, with no water allowed, it will be rough.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you aren't eating over your daily allowance, you should be fine
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im fasting too...and I think you should focus on the spiritual aspect of ramadan. Just eat when you should (i'd be careful eating the loads of fried goodies and sugary drinks used to break fast). And exercise lightly. Dont forget to hydrate. Ramadan mubarak!!!
  • Raeesa007
    Raeesa007 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just don't exceed your calories, and try not to eat anything after you pray Esha/Taraweeh.. i eat a proper iftaar.. and between Magrib and Esha I take a 30min walk and after Taraweeh i try not to eat anything
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Assalaamu Alaikum Sister

Remember, this blessed month is all about fasting, not feasting, so stick to the Sunnah and eat light. Try and stick with soups for iftar, and oatmeal and fruit for suhoor. After you eat suhoor and pray Fajr you can stay up and read Quraan for a little bit so you're not going to sleep directly after eating insha Allah. I know it's hard when you get invited to so many iftars with the beautiful ethnic food, which is usually a bit greasy (I have a soft spot for samosas and pakoras myself), but keep counting those calories and you'll do great insha Allah.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Taunto posted a GREAT thread about exactly this a couple days ago:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038039-ramadan-fasting-mfp-and-you-a-guide
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is BS . everything you learnt about carbs before bed is bad and all of that means nothing

What counts is your TOTAL DAILY INTAKE at a deficit.
  • Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the eating before bed myth, it's all a load of nonsense. I don't sit down to eat my main meal until at least 9:30pm so if it was true I should be the size of a house. (I'm not. :smile: )
    Be as honest as you can with the calories you eat and drink and stick to your daily goals.
    Don't overdo it on the exercise, you will de-hydrate and as you are unable to replace your fluids it's dangerous.
    If you are on any medication, speak to your pharmacist. I know there are allowances for Muslims who are diabetic etc. during Ramadan, but certain medications for other conditions need to be taken with food, or they don't work. They will also be able to give you advice on nutrition during fasting.

Ramadan Mubarak
    :heart:
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I personally find it difficult to sleep if I eat directly before going to bed, that's why I avoid it. but everyone is different, every body will react to different foods in a different way so just pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you find it hard to sleep right after a meal, like me, then try giving your body a bit of time to digest before laying down. However, if you find you don't have any problems getting to sleep then alhamdou lillah :) As far as timing, do what feels best for you.