Has anyone else noticed . . .

Options
aquarabbit
aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
That when you look a lot (although not all) before and after weight loss pictures, the after pictures for women tend to be tanner (or bronzed or brown, or whatever your neck of the woods calls it) and the men are usually sans upper body hair? Will you follow this trend when you are down to your goal weight? Give me your thoughts.

Replies

• tattedbarbz
    Options
    I think sometomes when people are bigger if they lack self confidence they dont like trying new things out beauty wise. Im the opposite, because im uncomfortable with my body I try and compensate by everything else so im always tanned, nails done and full face of makeup. I think if I was more comfortable with my body I would care less about having makeup on all the time and stuff
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Well I'll probably have lost the weight by the end of Spring (winter here in Aus), so chances are, I'll have been outside tanning! haha
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My goal is to shave my chest. Shows more definition thats why us men do it when we shredded to shreds of shred.
  • Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am Indian, born with a natural tan! :laugh:

For us(darker skins) though i noticed something opposite, when a person loses lots of weight we start looking lighter with a more glowing complexion :)
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I am just a few pounds from my goal weight, this summer I have been letting a lot more skin out on show, so I definately looked more tanned. This wasn't a concious decision as such, i just dont feel like i need to hide every inch of myself now
  • summerspanton
    Options
    Being tan makes your body look more toned and thinner - it creates better shadows. This is why body builders all get super-tan, too - so any definition is magnified and any flaws are minimized. Just like wearing white makes your *kitten* look huge while wearing black thins it down - optically. It's an optical illusion that helps with the visualization of having lost a lot of weight. As for the upper body hair on men - it's much easier to show definition (like Chadomaniac said) without all that hair in the way. ;)
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd not shave the Torso or hit the sunbeds.
    I've nothing against those that do, it's just not me.
    It's the same with sleeveless / tank / vest tops or those lads that walk down the street in the sun with no shirt on.
    Fair enough if that's your bag but for me, that's reserved for the beach / pool and always will be.
    It's not really a confidence thing, just my own personal taste.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I plan to lay out in the sun when I get thinner, but mostly to reduce the apparance of my stretch marks (pregnancy) I would do it not, but the stretchies hold me back and Im hoping they will fade more as I get thinner :)
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A darker complexion and hairless body really shows your muscle definition. Separation and striations are far more distinct and visible under these conditions.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I have the dark part down. I will, however, shave my chest.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I'll be super pale no matter what. I never tan.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Mine are the virtually the same colour wise, although I do tan in the summer. And the hair is the same because, well, my wife likes it so I'm keeping it.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    what is a tan?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I was born with a tan
  • Wmy890
    Wmy890 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, I will tan, get new make up, neck lift, face lift, thigh transplant, lol
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    I'll be super pale no matter what. I never tan.

I feel you. Natural redhead here. I look so stupid with a tan.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Mine are the virtually the same colour wise, although I do tan in the summer. And the hair is the same because, well, my wife likes it so I'm keeping it.

Your wife - I like her.

No body tans for me, just what gets exposed with tank tops and shorts.
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    My goal is to shave my chest. Shows more definition thats why us men do it when we shredded to shreds of shred.

:brokenheart: Shame. I sometimes feel that I'm the only one left who prefers a hairy lumberjack.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i dont tan, its called shades of red for me

as far as shaving, theres only one area i shave asked from various parts of my skull
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When the picture was taken has an effect on how tan the person is as well. I know that one of the pictures I use as a before pic was taken in January or February (mid winter.) I don't use tanning beds so there is no way I'd be tan during that time of year. I am very white compared to a picture I would take today. That's one of the perks to it being summer! For me, my fat looks better tan :wink: