How often can I weigh in?

Options
Do I get to choose how often I enter my weight? Like, can I do it more often than once/week? Or if I miss a week does it matter?

Replies

• talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. Whatever works for you! Some people weigh in once a week or less, some (myself included) weigh-in every day. Good luck!
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Since weight can change so much on a day-to-day basis, I only weigh in once a week (Monday) after enjoying a low calorie exercise free Sunday. It feels great to get encouragement of a loss the first work day of the week.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do it every day :)
  • Xchubby
    Xchubby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday. it helped me to get a better understanding for my body,.to see the effects of the monthly cycle and so on.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I'll probably weigh in every day too. I find it very useful to see my fluctuations and keep track of which foods bloat me. I know some recommend only weighing once/week, but I find if I weigh every day I control the scale, the scale doesn't control me.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the logic of only weighing weekly because weight fluctuates so much. So, if you have a gain on your weigh in day, how do you know it's not a phantom gain if you didn't weigh yourself yesterday?

Anyway, whatever works for you. The crucial thing is to understand that it's just a number, not in any way your rank in society or your ability to be a good person or your chances of being loved.

It's one single, not terribly reliable, means of measuring your progress. I like it because it's quick. It's also a daily reminder of how far I've come as well as how adversely stuff like booze affects water retention.

What I like better is how my skinny clothes are starting to fit again. but that happens too slowly to keep me motivated. But, even if the numbers go up, they're nothing like they were a month ago, and that's motivation enough for me.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    True, I like to have full control over my diet. I want to see whats bloats me. Greeting
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Weigh as much as you like as long as you don't become emotionally attached to the numbers you don't want to see (increases etc...)
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Get a measuring tape and body fat callipers. Weight is almost not relevent. It is not as relevent as body fat and measurments, that is for sure.
  • jetlag
    Options
    That's very true, but calipers can't measure visceral fat, can it? (That's a genuine question, I'm not being sarky).

Edit: I guess that's what the measuring tape does...
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yep I do measurements and stuff too, I was just curious as to how often I can input my weight.
    I used to use the WW website, and you are not allowed to weigh in more than once/week there.
    I usually don't take my body measurements very often though, I give it a few weeks between measuring so I can see a difference each time. Too much hassle to measure every day lol
  • jdad1
    Options
    That's very true, but calipers can't measure visceral fat, can it? (That's a genuine question, I'm not being sarky).

Even body fat percentage is just an estimate. The number is not actuelly important. The best way to measure success is to just look into the mirror and do a "sexiness eye test" on yourself. :laugh: However body fat and measurments are much better to pay attention to then just weight.
  • jdad1
    Options
    Yep I do measurements and stuff too, I was just curious as to how often I can input my weight.
    I used to use the WW website, and you are not allowed to weigh in more than once/week there.
    I usually don't take my body measurements very often though, I give it a few weeks between measuring so I can see a difference each time. Too much hassle to measure every day lol

This is the exact reason people would give for weighing in weekly vs daily.
  • jetlag
    Options

I know, complete nonsense. It's on the (many) reasons I don't like WW. Too old fashioned in their thinking. A tin of coconut milk is 25 points!! Crazy.
  • jetlag
    Options

Even body fat percentage is just an estimate. The number is not actuelly important. The best way to measure success is to just look into the mirror and do a "sexiness eye test" on yourself. :laugh: However body fat and measurments are much better to pay attention to then just weight.

lol Yeah. Problem with that is that I always pass the mirror sexiness eye test with flying colours. It's not until I see a photo of myself that I feel sick to my stomach :laugh: I definitely have body promorphia :laugh:
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    I had to find what works for me. I weigh myself am and pm but only log my weigh in Friday morning. That way I can not stress so much during weekend for my weigh in Monday. It helps me stay on track!
  • jetlag
    Options
    I weigh every day but only track the losses. So, if you see a long delay in my losses, you'll know I've gained LOL
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

MFP will let you log your weigh in on a daily basis if you want.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day at the same time too - it helps me to keep an eye on what bloats causing water retention (RICE!!) and what different times of the month do to me. Also I agree that if you weigh once a week, if you choose a day when you have retained extra water you may feel downheartened; wheras the day before or after you would have been exhilarted.

Also clothes fitting are an excellent way of seeing where you are. I have only lost 3 lb in 6 weeks but have gone down a clothes size in that time - so my body is now firming up a bit (hurrah) and seeing the 11 inch loss on my waist more than makes up for the lack of seeing the scale move!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday BUT if you choose to do it too you have to realize that your weight will shift all the time. Mine usually fluctuates about 2lbs on a daily basis and up to 6lbs one week a month. Make sure you do it at the same time of day and without clothes and before a shower (A shower has added like 1lb to my weight before). I usually weigh myself about an hour after I wake up.