Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Apples make me bloat...

... but only in the afternoon... Does anyone else have this or am I just weird...? And can someone maybe give me a scientific (not too technical!!) reason why this would happen...
Actually thinking about it, bananas make me bloat in the afternoon as well, but thought that was if I wasnt exercising within an hour, but maybe it's the same thing?
Anyway, thoughts?

Replies

• IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    When you say bloat, what do you mean exactly? Are we talking bowel gas, or something else?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Well feels like my stomach just doubles in size (although I'm sure it doesnt) and it's uncomfortable...
    Nothing major, just intreagued
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Do you eat them with the skin? Try peeling them. I can't eat an apple with peel without extreme stomach pain.
  • IronPhyllida
    Yes I eat them with the skin - how weird is that? I'll try peeling them tomorrow then...

edit: should have done F7...
  • deannakymer
    deannakymer Posts: 1 Member
    You might try taking probiotics. I had the same problem, although not really a specific food. I started on probiotics and it is sooooo much better!
  • gayleofdallas
    gayleofdallas Posts: 8 Member
    Apples DO bloat me so I have stopped eating them. I did research online and found that apples are one of the foods that can bloat you. I was looking pregnant, that's how bad I bloated. Now that I've stopped eating them, my stomach has gone down in size and I no longer look pregnant. I know, weird huh? Anyway, the articles I read suggested eating more 'water based' fruits such as watermelon, cantaloupe, berries, etc, and that's what I'm doing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Have you made plans to talk with a doctor about this? There could be a few reasons but I think it'd probably be better if you get tested to make sure there isn't something serious going on like a slight food allergy or IBS.
  • IronPhyllida
    I had a full medical last week, which didnt come up with anything. So I think it's just a reaction to apples.
  • fatfishy
    fatfishy Posts: 19 Member
    Try googling FODMAPS, your answer may be there. A low FODMAP diet is often recommended for those with IBS.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Yes, and my tummy makes the weirdest noises if I eat one when I'm really hungry. I find that they do absolutely nothing for my hunger, either.
  • Probably a very late reply, but I am the same too and have had to stop eating both apples and bananas. Both make me bloat, but apples are the worst. I think it's something to do with the fermenting properties apples have i.e when they're being turned into cider, or when you see apples fallen from a tree rotting on the ground, the same process is happening in your stomach, which leads to a build up of gasses. They can then either pass as wind or just build up in your stomach, thus bloating. I think it's a matter of some people being intolerant and others being fine. As far bananas, green/semi-green bananas are more starchy than ripe yellow bananas (starch has turned to sugar), which can also cause distress to the stomach.
    Hope that helps :) x