Women lifting heavy

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
I have been seeing a lot of women are lifting heavy weights and I would like to start lifting heavy. I am scared to start now because I still have 60-80 more pounds to lose till I get to my goal weight.

What is your suggestion?

Also, please show before/after pictures for motivation

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Start now.

Now now now now now

Lifting on a deficit is not going to reduce your fat loss

It is going to accelerate it.

simple as that.

The best bit is it will be FAT loss not Weight loss. The muscle you have will be preserved assuming you are eating healthily.

No photos to hand but i will try and add later
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I am confused by your post. Lifting does burn calories and helps you lose weight. More than cardio... and when you have muscle, you're constantly burning calories at a resting rate :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Start now. You will preserve Lean Body Mass while you are losing fat, and that's a good thing for many reasons, it's never too soon to start.
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Im trying to decide to do a fat loss program on bodybuilding.com or new rules of weight lifting for women.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a lot of women are lifting heavy weights and I would like to start lifting heavy. I am scared to start now because I still have 60-80 more pounds to lose till I get to my goal weight.

What is your suggestion?

Also, please show before/after pictures for motivation

Why would you wait? Start now, or you'll regret it later!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Start now and continue at a calorie deficit. You will be amazed at the changes :-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Im trying to decide to do a fat loss program on bodybuilding.com or new rules of weight lifting for women.

I started with New Rules (which is a good read even if you don't end up doing that program). Then after a couple of months I switched to Nia Shanks.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm showing sitting down photos, mostly because my sitting down 'before' photo was the only one I could find.

8147291188_94f2d61730.jpg

125kg.

9206997484_9187f6ec07.jpg

99kg.

8289646955_829d5ce34d.jpg
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Good job!
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OMG, start NOW, Im currently doing Bodyweight training while I save up for a gym membership. weightloss so much easier and more energy, just generally feel so good, also squat, squat,squat, squat. your bum and thighs will thank you. \V/
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    thats easy ... START NOW . weight lifting continues burning calories for about 48 h after the training .. cardio stops when you stop ... dont entirely stop cardio but definately do 80% weight training - 20% cardio you will loose fat faster and gain sexy muscles that shapes your body nicely ! make sure you feed it well though as you need more protein to sustain muscle mass . Enjoy the burn!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    oh and dont fall for the .. you will look like a man bull**** . the only way you can look like a man is if you shoot testosterone in your butt for a year .
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I would say start ASAP :). My B&A is my profile pic and my weight lifting stats (i.e. max weights lifted) are in my profile. Heavy is relative and different for everyone, so start low and work your way up. I would also recomend getting a personal trainer for a couple of intro sessions to weight lifting to help with form and to show you a good variety of exercises to get you started.

Good luck!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I started with 75 pounds to lose so we are similar in that sense. I love lifting!

I have a gym membership so I've been doing Stronglifts 5X5 and Starting Strength. If you decide that you want to go that route, there is a fabulous MFP group for women doing Stronglifts 5X5.

When you lift, you help make sure that most of the weight that you are losing is fat, and not muscles. People who only do cardio often reach their goal weight and then have to work to rebuild that lost muscle. It's soooo much easier to lift while you are losing weight and retain the muscle than to have to try to rebuild it later.

I'm 'in progress', but you can see my profile pictures for how far I've come.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you do a search, you'll find a lot of lifting threads out there....not to mention numerous success stories showing the pictures you want with the info you need.'

Here's a recent one to get you started :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038104-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    New Rules isn't the best program out there, but the book is a good read, and I recommend you do read it.

Starting Strength is also a good read, and I recommend you read it.

Strong Lifts is good in that it gives you an actual starting point and a recommended progressive loading.

Start now, keep eating at a deficit, and keep up with your cardio for all the other reasons cardio is good for you (not body recomp)
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump