Too much protein?

Options
I seem to be going over the amount of protein I need for the day but am under the calorie and fat intake each day. Is this ok?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    your body uses protein to build muscle, shouldnt be a problem
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    the protein levels are set really low on here. High on carbs. I dont know why they sit it that way, but I adjusted mine to read 35/35/30 prot/carb/fat. More of a balanced diet.

It's always better to eat more protein than carbs, keeps you satisfied i.e. staves off hunger.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I seem to be going over the amount of protein I need for the day but am under the calorie and fat intake each day. Is this ok?

Better than ok, I'd say perfect.

You should be getting more protein than what is recommended and if you are exercising you need much more. Protein has the added bonus of increasing metabolism through it's thermic effect, which is about 30%. In other words for every 100 calories protein you eat your body uses 30% or 30 calories just to process it.

I believe a spilt of 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat is about ideal for most people who are exercising.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    If you take in more protein then your body needs, in the long run it can be bad for your kidneys, but thats if you go WAY over your daily limit for an EXTENDED period of time (years). Going slightly over your protein limit won't hurt you. And if your exercising lots your body is rapidly breaking down the protein compounds anyway, and you could stand to go a little over. And like Anna said, the limits on MFP are set kind of low for protein
  • NicoleGB
    Options
    Thanks for your rapid replies!:smile:
  • kfrazier
    kfrazier Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was wondering the same thing myself!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hi there, Im in the same boat....more calories, more carbs, even more fats, but little protien
    I went online and found out, instead of the 72 grams of protein, mine should be 92.7 grams

take your weight and divide it by a kilo, ie, divide your weight by 2.2, then multiply it by .8
    that gives you what the AMA suggests, as well as other citings

mines 255/2.2 x .8 = 92.72, which is a lot better than the 72 that they suggest......

I am also working out 7 days a week on cardio, so to me, Id rather use the 92 grams for my muscle

Im only using 1700 calories daily, and its paying off........I m losing and getting healthy

good luck Lloyd
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If you take in more protein then your body needs, in the long run it can be bad for your kidneys, but thats if you go WAY over your daily limit for an EXTENDED period of time (years). Going slightly over your protein limit won't hurt you. And if your exercising lots your body is rapidly breaking down the protein compounds anyway, and you could stand to go a little over. And like Anna said, the limits on MFP are set kind of low for protein

This is a great post.

I hear people say all the time that too much protein is bad for you which is true, but too much is LOTS of protein. I'm talking like 400-500 grams for a 200lb male or 200-300 for a 120 pound female. The numbers are kind of coming out of my backside because there is no data or proof but i am going off of my experience working with lifters and trainers. Personally I get 220 grams a day and I weight about 208lbs, I also lift heavy 3 days a week. IF I was to increase my workouts to 4-5 days a week I 'd up my protein to about 250 grams a day and conversely If I stopped working out I'd go down to 150-175 grams a day.

The more you use the more you need, and if you are not exercising WHY NOT? you still need more than what is recommended especially if you are trying to lose weight.
  • lauralynette
    Options
    hi there, Im in the same boat....more calories, more carbs, even more fats, but little protien
    I went online and found out, instead of the 72 grams of protein, mine should be 92.7 grams

take your weight and divide it by a kilo, ie, divide your weight by 2.2, then multiply it by .8
    that gives you what the AMA suggests, as well as other citings

mines 255/2.2 x .8 = 92.72, which is a lot better than the 72 that they suggest......

I am also working out 7 days a week on cardio, so to me, Id rather use the 92 grams for my muscle

Im only using 1700 calories daily, and its paying off........I m losing and getting healthy

good luck Lloyd

I did the same thing and I keep my protein at about 72 which is the recommended amount for me, thank you for posting this