HRM Suggestions

Options
Hello I'm in the market for a HRM. I've read many of the posts about others' HRM's and notice that Polar seems to be the popular brand. I know that many people have recommended the Polar FT7, I've seen some pictures of it and the watch seems very bulky for my wrists. For those of you who have one what do you think? I also looked into the F6 and F4 and the women's model for those I like much better. Would getting the F6 or F4 hinder my experience with Polar HRM's? What do any of you think about the F6 and F4?

Thanks for your advice :)

Replies

• 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just recently bought the Polar F4 in ice blue off of ebay. It is a women's size watch and I absolutely love it. I was underestimating my exercise calories burned for about a month by about 200 calories per day so I am so glad I purchased an HRM. It was very reasonable in price....I paid 38.00 for it brand new and it works awesome. I love it and am so glad that I got it. It tracks all calories burned....my heart rate peaks and lows, and keeps a running summary for me. I really LOVE it and it fits great on me....not too bulky:) Good luck whatever you decide to buy... but I have to say getting an HRM is a great investment:)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7, its not really any bigger than a watch. Very easy to use, the chest strap is elasticy so its comfortable and it works in and out of water

From what I heard the chest strap on the F6 is like a plasticy material and the F7/FT7 have an elasticy band
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    From what I heard the chest strap on the F6 is like a plasticy material and the F7/FT7 have an elasticy band

I have the F6 (although all they had when I got it was the men's version so the watch is huge on on me) and yes, the front of the chest strap is plastic-ish, but the back is elastic. I love mine and my only issue with it is that I wish they'd had the women's version. I bought my mom the F4 and she loves it (she thinks mine has too many buttons LOL.)
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have the F6, in the women's version, and I like it! Still figuring out some of the details but I find the chest strap very comfortable, and the watch is bigger than I would wear in a normal watch, but it's not too terribly bulky.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I have an F4 and love it. I should have bought the F7 because it was only like $20 more and I think it has more features, but I just use mine to count calories burned and the F4 has served it's purpose. I wear it every day and it is comfortable, so much so that I usually end up forgetting to take the chest strap off. I got mine for about $90 at a sporting goods store, but be sure to check amazon, overstock and sears because they usually have good deals (I just wanted mine same day)!
  • justsomemodgirl
    justsomemodgirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info! I have been researching into one as well, and could not seem to make up my mind. I think it will be a worthwhile investment, and I'd really like an accurate read while completing my workouts. Where did you purchase this if you don't mind me asking? Is it best to buy online? I'm a newbie to the forum and was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon this one. Thanks for posting and replying to the above thread! I appreciate it!:smile::smile:
    Danielle
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    (I just wanted mine same day)!

HAHA! That's how I ended up with the men's version of the F6!
  • justsomemodgirl
    justsomemodgirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    so glad you posted this question! I've been looking as well! Thanks!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 mens and don't find it bulky at all. They didn't have any ladies ones when I was buying. The strap is extremely comfortable and like previously been said also find I forget to take it off.
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline hrm that I got from Target. It was $36, and it's really easy to use. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, and this one is great! It's also not bulky on my wrist at all.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Remember the F4 is not coded. So if you workout at a gym or around other people, you will get intereference. Otherwise, Polar's website has a lineup of the features for each watch so you can see what fits your lifestyle best.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I have the F6 (although all they had when I got it was the men's version so the watch is huge on on me) and yes, the front of the chest strap is plastic-ish, but the back is elastic. I love mine and my only issue with it is that I wish they'd had the women's version. I bought my mom the F4 and she loves it (she thinks mine has too many buttons LOL.)

I have the F6 in the women's version and the band is elastic, I have put it though the ringer and it's held up great for nealy two years, I even swim with it.
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I'm looking into the F6 but I'll let you know for sure what I end up getting......so many choices :)
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between the FT7 and FT7F? I am assuming the FT7f is the female version?
  • luvstolose
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 blue ice the womens it is awesome the wristwatch is not bulky at all and the heart rate strap stays in place great! I love seeing how many caloires I burn. I compared it to the machine at the gym the heart rate was right on and the calories were not far off! I would reccommend it. I will be using it for Zumba class in just a little bit.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F11 in ice blue - unisex version, so mine's a bit bulky. I love the "no interference" and the fact that I can upload all my data with no cable right to my computer..... I've learned so much about my body, heart rate, exercise, etc since I got it.

Whatever you get, USE IT, and enjoy it! I only wear mine when I'm exercising, don't use it as a watch..... I have the elasticy band too, and also wear mine swimming.... good luck, and congrats on taking another step to get healthier! :drinker:

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm in the market for a HRM. I've read many of the posts about others' HRM's and notice that Polar seems to be the popular brand. I know that many people have recommended the Polar FT7, I've seen some pictures of it and the watch seems very bulky for my wrists. For those of you who have one what do you think? I also looked into the F6 and F4 and the women's model for those I like much better. Would getting the F6 or F4 hinder my experience with Polar HRM's? What do any of you think about the F6 and F4?

Thanks for your advice :)
    I think it's going to depend on what features you want on it, and what uses you have in mind. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between the FT7 and FT7F? I am assuming the FT7f is the female version?
    I skimmed the posts rather quickly so perhaps I missed it but I didn't see the reference to a FT7F... I have no idea what that even means unless someone typed that to show they have the womens model, like you shared?
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... I looked at the ones one of the running shops around me has (looking online as they're closed now) and they have the watch-type models, but then they also have something called a "wearlink+" that looks like a belt. Do you need BOTH things?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... I looked at the ones one of the running shops around me has (looking online as they're closed now) and they have the watch-type models, but then they also have something called a "wearlink+" that looks like a belt. Do you need BOTH things?
    The wearlink is the part you put around your chest to measure your heart rate. The watches come with one but they can wear out after a long time of use. So, you can buy them seperate from the watch as well. Also, the watches come with one standard size so you can purchase different sizes.