frustrated & confused

Options
2 weeks in, going to the gym every morning for 25 minutes of cardio then weights for different body area switching it out, zumba twice a week in the evenings. trying to stay around 1200 calories, working towards 50% protein, 30% carbs & 20% fat. the protein is the kicker for me...i am about sick of grilled chicken breast & greek yogurt. went down 4 pounds the first week & a half now nothing, not an ounce.

this morning i have my "orientation" session with a trainer there at the gym & he shows me all the machines, said stay completely away from free weights do 10 minutes of cardio to warm up then an entire body circuit on the weight machines 3x a week with zumba twice & to increase my carbs,that i needed to "eat some bowls of spaghetti" for energy?!

so what the heck is a girl to do? i'm pushing 40, need to lose about 40 pounds & the weight doesn't just fall off like it did in my 20's & early 30's...i have a desk job, & get to the gym by 5 to squeeze in an hour before work. every website & forum thread seems to have conflicting information on everything from what to eat & when to eat it to supplements & exercise.

not looking for sympathy, just suggestions.

Replies

• brosehemian
    brosehemian Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    And what percentage of your food do you think you're consuming of vegetables and fruit? Granted, fruit can usually count as a carb but your veggies, especially the greens, which are incredibly water dense, will totally help you get lean. I know that I do best when the majority of my calories are coming from fruits and veggies. Also, perhaps look at where you're getting your carbs and protein from. Refined carbs can completely stop my weight loss all together. So I look at more whole and natural carbs... fruits, sweet potatoes, corn, root vegetables. Same with the protein. Is a lot of your protein full of a lot of fat? Grilled chicken breast and greek yogurt seem like pretty good choices, but is it lean chicken and fat-free yogurt? I know that a lot of people don't vouch for 'fat free' thing but for me, it helps.

Like I said, lots of people have conflicting ideas so I wouldn't get too caught up in what different people say on the internet. Just try some different things out and see what works for you! Best of luck, and keep trekking on.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Get a new trainer cause that one is clueless. Lift heavy. Done.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    First off you may want to consult with your Dr. and / or a dietician.. What I've done for myself is cut down on my sodium and sugar intake. Eat more fruits , veggies , nutz etc. :wink: Give your body a chance to re-adjust to your new diet and life habits. :bigsmile: And don't forget to get plenty of rest ...(that gives your body a chance to heal for the next day):happy: :happy:
  • sherriwedel
    sherriwedel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks! i will just keep at it. anything is better than the lay around in the morning with the tablet & facebook before work that i was doing 2 weeks ago.

im eating a lot of egg whites scrambled up, spinach, mushrooms, carrots, grilled chicken breast, sweet potatoes

cutting out diet coke...that one hurt! & trying to figure out to to with the tsp of sugar in my coffee & the 2 tsp of half & half?

just going to keep moving my butt...eventually there will be less of it to move...
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Try different sources of protein, eggs, fish, red meat, cottage cheese, etc. You don't always have to eat chicken, it gets old after a while!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The reason why some trainers will lead you to the machines is that they are safer for those who are new to lifting. Using free weights requires control, balance and making sure you're using proper form and can be detrimental if you're not sure of what you're doing. If this was just your typical orientation meeting, it makes sense as he wouldn't necessarily continue to monitor you and wants you to be safe. However, if you plan to continue to meet with this trainer, request that he start teaching you to use the free weights. Or find another trainer.

I'm not sure where you got your macro balance from but that is a lot of protein! The general recommendation for active individuals is 0.8g per 1 pound of body weight which roughly translates to about 30% of daily calories. The amount you're trying to reach is more like bodybuilder level. Alternately, you could increase your fat intake a bit and open up your protein options by allowing for nuts, seeds (and their butters), lean red meats, pork and even skinless/boneless chicken thighs. There's not much more fat in these options as long as you're choosing the leaner cuts and/or removing excess fat and skin.

As far as the spaghetti recommentation - that just seems odd to me. However keep in mind that carbs are the main source of fuel for muscles so if you are feeling run down it might not be a bad idea to get a bit more in. Pay close attention to how you feel and shoot for healtheir/natural options as others have said.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped eating all meat except for fish and lost 12 lbs and I am working out half as much as I was before. I still have yogurt, eggs and milk occasionally. I do short but intense workouts instead of hours of cardio. I think my body is responding better to less animal protein. You just need to find what works for you. Hang in there.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, and you're probably building up a lot of muscle. The good news is that the muscle will also help you burn fat. Keep going, plateaus are really normal. Even if it's not taking the weight off just yet it's making your body healthier on the inside, the weight will come.