Tell me why? Only serious replies please.

Options

Replies

• Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to read people's honest opinions, people who are educated enough, and have taken their time to research nutritional information, then I suggest you just listen to whatever your educated, certified trainer tells you to do.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    300 calories of cereal get converted into sugar almost instantly. Your body can only use up so much of it, and the rest must be stored as fat. Burning fat is not as easy as burning energy that is glucose in your bloodstream. To start burning fat reserves you need at least 20 minutes of intense cardio (or a certain amount of deficit). It is not a simple process, and your body resists doing it if it does not have to.

Your vegetable calories will be released gradually, giving you more chance to use the energy as it becomes available.

So if I eat 300 calories of sugar a day and nothing else, I will get fat?

Wow, that's what you got from this post? Than OK, why don't you go ahead and do that.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you are honestly 40% BF, I don't see a problem with your plan as long as it's temporay (6-8 weeks at most). The human body can with stand a lot of stress over a certain amount of time, but eventually there will be side effects. Those side effects maybe different for each person. Legality is a wierd word to use. There's nothing illegal about being on a low calorie diet. However, what I see is a mis-application of methods. I assume you're trying to lose as much body fat as possible but you're using the strategy of a competition body builder.

Unless you WANT to be a competition body builder, have some life threatening deadline, or trying to win a weight loss contest...you can accomplish your goals with less extreme methods. This will create less stress on the body and increase the likelyhood you will stick with your plan.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am actually serious people. I like food too. I eat more then 1000 calories everyday. I NET LESS then 1000. I aint doing it for life. I am doing it as temporary cut. Like cycling between cuts and bulks.

It is my understanding (but not from experience) that people who are properly cutting and bulking have specific macros for both (not just eating less food sometimes and more other times) and bulking is eating at or over your TDEE. Is that what you are doing?

If you eat less than your BMR your body will not have the energy to run everything it needs to run and will eventually have to slow down or shut off areas it can't maintain do to lack of fuel. I have read that for obese people it's OK to drop below BMR sometimes, though.

Do research on BMR and what your body requires for the bare minimum functions and what happens when you don't give it proper fuel. Do research on when and why your body uses fat for fuel vs muscle mass for fuel. I always highly suggest doing your own research.

Will do. I just thought the MFP community might be able to share some links!
    Actually I did see people share links and you brushed them off. You keep saying how legit and serious you are but I don't believe you. Why should people waste their time and energy helping you if you aren't really going to read what they have to share or blow it off because it's not what you want to hear? Seriously.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Wait.

Your bf% is 40 and you are netting 1000 calories per day? If that is the case: crack on. I don't see an issue.

Yes my bf% is 40 and I am netting 1000 calories a day. Just started monday. This is a temporary cut phase to lower my % body fat.

IF it is temporary, then you should be OK. I wouldn't suggest it long term - or more than 2-3 weeks.

I agree, too. It's not the same as those 18 yr old girls who have 15% BF and are eating 700 calories.
    Do it for a week, then go back up slowly, not all at once. I would think that would be fine
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Actually I did see people share links and you brushed them off. You keep saying how legit and serious you are but I don't believe you. Why should people waste their time and energy helping you if you aren't really going to read what they have to share or blow it off because it's not what you want to hear? Seriously.

I saw her thank people for links and say she would save them to read.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Before everybody jumps all over her, go back and really read what she wrote.

She doesn't EAT 1,000 calories a day, she NETs 1,000 a day a few days a week.

She EATS 1800 calories a day approximately.

She wants to do this for a short term to reduce BF.

She eats a nutritious diet for those 1800 calories.

I know most of the MFP community lives to eat rather than eats to live but before you condemn her for her question take a moment to really think about what she ask!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you are not a bodybuilder... so why would you be doing a bodybuilder's cut?? it seems to me that you are at step Y, when you should still be at step B.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    So based on this information, is ok for me to only net under 1000 calories a day?

Please don't responsed with eat more calories, eat more protien, starvation mode, eat healthier.... etc. Just please give me only serious answers to my question.

So, tell me if it's okay, but don't tell me it's not okay? I don't understand what you're asking for. If you feel people who would tell you to eat more aren't "serious," then you aren't really asking a question.

I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other. I'd talk to a doctor instead of a bodybuilder and I'd listen to your body. You should know it well enough to know if your diet is making you feel like crap.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options

I saw her thank people for links and say she would save them to read.
    and she is back here posting asking why people aren't giving her links instead of reading the ones she had already been provided = brush off
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    3. A calorie is a calorie (in regards to energy not nutrition)

Majoring in Nutrition Science - I want to scratch my eyes out everytime I read this!!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It's good for short term, not long term.. Because of health problems. If you were to under eat to that extremity, you're going to get sick and your body will hold onto that fat like glue.

If you're eating so little, your body is going to want SOMETHING that will give it energy, what will that something be? Your fat stored. So by under eating so much and long, your body will realise it NEEDS the fat to help with energy, thus causing you to keep fat stored. . . . . This is as simple I can possibly make it for someone who doesn't want the science and confusions..
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Short-term, I bet it's a great way to jumpstart. I wouldn't do it longer than a few weeks though, just in case. But that's me.

Wait.

Your bf% is 40 and you are netting 1000 calories per day? If that is the case: crack on. I don't see an issue.

Yes my bf% is 40 and I am netting 1000 calories a day. Just started monday. This is a temporary cut phase to lower my % body fat.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    3. A calorie is a calorie (in regards to energy not nutrition)

Majoring in Nutrition Science - I want to scratch my eyes out everytime I read this!!
    why?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    300 calories of cereal get converted into sugar almost instantly. Your body can only use up so much of it, and the rest must be stored as fat. Burning fat is not as easy as burning energy that is glucose in your bloodstream. To start burning fat reserves you need at least 20 minutes of intense cardio (or a certain amount of deficit). It is not a simple process, and your body resists doing it if it does not have to.

Your vegetable calories will be released gradually, giving you more chance to use the energy as it becomes available.

Wow, that's what you got from this post? Than OK, why don't you go ahead and do that.

The entire post was nonsensical.
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth your OP works for me. I pretty much agree with all of it as general guidelines and a starting point. Lots of options that will get you to your goal, just be mindful of your body. Understand the give and take, play with your numbers and find what works for you. Best wishes.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Short-term, I bet it's a great way to jumpstart. I wouldn't do it longer than a few weeks though, just in case. But that's me.

Wait.

I only have my trainer for another 5 weeks so I am trying to maximize my results by lowering my %BF in that time span. I will be only netting that low for 4/7 days a week.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Considering that's what you wrote, yes, that is what I got out of it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The reason that eating under a 1000 calories daily is that if your body feels that it is "starving" itself, it will go after the most easily accessible form of energy, which is muscle not fat. Fat is energy dense, with the average gram containing 9 calories. Your muscle tissue is made of mostly protein and water. Protein on average contains 4 calories per gram. This is easier for a body to access.

I think you're mistaken.....your body uses stored glycogen first, fat second and lean muscle mass third but if you could cite a reliable source (not some broscience blog) that contradicts this I'd be interested.....

To the OP, my understanding of the downside of VLCDs is that it is difficult to consume the variety of foods needed to supply the variety of nutrients (both macro and micro) that our bodies need to function in a healthy way - which, if you're netting 1,000 cal (ie 1,000 + exercise calories) may not be a problem. In addition, with severe caloric restriction over an extended time period (can' be compared with a wrestler's or bodybuilder's cut phase) may affects your metabolism ie it adapts to the new normal

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198305

Executive summary: "Body weight is defended in non-obese participants during modest caloric restriction, evidenced by metabolic adaptation of RMR and reduced energy expenditure through physical activity."
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You will get extreme results from extreme diets, but it's not sustainable long term, and I assume that's your goal. Listen to your body. Load up on highly nutrient rich foods, and if you're HUNGRY, eat something. Good luck.