Running my first Half Marathon

Options
I have decided that I want to run a half marathon in the Fall and I am looking for some advice from the runners out there. I have been running since 2009 and do about 10 5ks a year. I run about 4 days a week with a maximum distance of 7 miles.

Do you think this gives me enough time to train? Does anyone have any training plans they suggest?

Thanks for all your help!

Replies

• pmtuft
    pmtuft Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last August and if I can do anyone can! :) Try Hal Higdon plans. I actually joined a running club to train for my half-which I ended up doing intervals for as I was not able to run the whole thing yet. I kept a 5:1 interval pace through out the 13 miles and successfully completed it ! Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on Hal Higdon's training plans. If you're already hitting 7 miles for your long run and you're consistently running 4 times a week you'd be at week 4 of his Novice 2 plan which would have you ready for 13.1 by this fall.
  • mamillien1
    Options
    I am not a runner so my advice wouldnt be good enough, but online you can research pretty much anything! I wish you Super GREAT LUCK!!!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You have TONS of time to train and since you are already an experienced runner - you will do fine. I read a book called marathon rookie - it helps for half marathon's too - they have a website too...marathonrookie.com or something like that. You can find all sorts of training plans online - 10 week, 12 week, beginner, intermediate. I ran my first half marathon last Oct. Good luck. You will do great
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I say Hal Higdon's plan as well. I'm using his Novice 1 plan for half marathon training because I want to run a half next April. I decided to give myself a year in order to make sure with my breathing that I will be okay. I agree with Brain, since you already running 7 miles for your long run, you are a little over halfway there and can do it by fall!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    PLENTY of time to train. I ran my first half-marathon 3 months after running a 5k and my max distance to that point was 4 miles. Since you have a max of 7 miles, just increase it by a mile each week and run that distance twice if you feel the need. :-) I've never followed a program, my schedule has always been so weird that I would just loosely follow something. Usually 3-4 miles for my 2 or 3 short runs during the week and then a long run on the weekends.

I'm running a half in August and am slightly behind where I want to be, but I'm not worried. Feel free to add me :-)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Hal Higdon. I've used his training programs for pretty much every race distance above a 5K, including both of my half marathons. I love how he lays it out and I also love that he explains that each of the schedules can be modified to fit your week, as long as you set the schedule and stick to it. I've done his programs exactly as laid out and also slightly modified (I added in hill training for my first half since it was in San Francisco) and have always had stellar results.

With how long you've been running and the fact that you already fun four days a week and up to seven miles, I'd say that you could definitely get started into a half marathon training program and be ready for a race in the Fall.
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am also running my first half this fall on September 22. I have run a 5K and 10K and max distance for me is also around 7.5 miles so far. I am using Hal's Novice 1 but may look at the Novice 2 training plan. His plans are 12 weeks long so I hope I am ready by then. I am excited. Does anyone else have any advice for first timers? Feel free to add me!
  • Jdiaz72
    Jdiaz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon is the plan

Easy way to achieve...run 3 short runs and one long run a week until you reach at least 10 - 11 miles.

2 weeks prior to race shave down your long run.

Good luck - you will do great