Question for those with PCOS...

Options
rachso
rachso Posts: 174 Member
HI! I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago so am WELL AWARE of what pains are involved, how hard it is to lose weight, etc. I also know what a flare-up (other than the norm) feels like. Ok so Mon I started the 30DS. Yesterday after day 2 I had muscles hurting in places I didn't know existed-including my abdominal or "core" muscles from the abs section of the program. Figured it was norm soreness from working the muscles that haven't been worked in a while.
Anyways, last night I woke up in pretty intense pain in my lower right side and into the middle of my tummy. For hours (and even now) the pain was very sharp and makes me "sick" feeling. This has happened before and it has been a PCOS flare-up with a particular cyst causing issues. Nothing can be done but pain meds and riding it out. ANYWAYS, I'm certain I am having another flare-up today and will NOT be doing any abdominal exercises (as well as will be skipping the shred today and go for something lower impact).
My question is this: Could my abdominal workouts have caused the flare-up or is the timing just coincidental? And if it is/could be from the abdominal workout then how do you lose inches off your tummy and core area? Like, what can be done besides the crunches I've been doing? (crunches, bicycle crunches, leg raises, side crunches, )

Replies

• eamonge
    eamonge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, let me preface this with I'm not a doctor. Since the hormones that are responsible for most of our issues with PCOS are stored in fat, you run the risk of flare ups after any fat burning exercise. That being said, it would be my guess that the increased blood flow to the area, and mild swelling in the abdomen could have just exacerbated an existing problem. I have issues with pain flare ups any time there is any extra pressure exerted on my abdominal area, and they seem to lessen in intensity once my body has had a chance to get used to the changes.