NO MCDONALDS

Options

Replies

• elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Someday you will not even be able to remember the last time you had McDonalds.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!!
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!!!! You'll find the less that you eat it, the less you want it. I gave up that garbage about 3 years ago. Even the smell of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Now I still love me some burgers and fries but I prefer higher quality food and in a place like Manhattan it's everywhere. An indulgence needs to be worth it for me so Shake Shack/The Breslin/Minetta Tavern/21 Club burgers ALL DAY over that crap.

Yes! I don't think McD's is poison, and still eat it occasionally when I'm crunched for time, but if I am going to splurge on a meal I want it to be a real treat! There is a little greasy burger joint in my town that makes the best burgers!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As delicious as the following list sounds, i'll stick to making my own food rather than this garbage. Make no mistake, just because you can lose weight eating it, doesn't mean its "healthy".

CANADIAN STYLE BACON:
    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sugar, Salt, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Sodium Diacetate And Sodium Nitrite (Preservatives)

EGG:
    Ingredients: USDA Grade A Eggs.
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin,
    Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color)

ENGLISH MUFFIN WITH 8 g WHOLE GRAIN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Whole Wheat
    Flour, Yeast, Maltodextrin, Cornmeal, Contains 2% Or Less: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate
    (Preservative), Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Dough Conditioners (DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono- and Tricalcium Phosphate, Enzymes), Calcium
    Citrate, Citric Acid, Wheat Starch, Torula Yeast, Caramel Color, Sorbitan Monostearate.

PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE:
    Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic
    Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

LIQUID MARGARINE:
    Ingredients: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and
    Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

I at McDonald's and Wendy's no fewer than 4 times/week (I still challenge anyone to find a day I haven't had a Wendy'd chili for lunch) and my HDL improved SO MUCH that my doctor asked me how the hell I did it. My triglycerides were also very low (.66) and everything else (with the exception of my iron which was ONLY .45 was "optimal". I had a baseline test also, REMARKABLE improvements. So umm... yeah. that's all.

This is me, eating fast food 5+ times a week.

lipids.png
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

This is me, eating fast food 5+ times a week.

lipids.png

Very nice!
  • reesha35
    reesha35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have lunch from McDonald's.
    Chicken nuggets or chicken wings and a side salad (no dressing).

If I didn't diet, I'd have French fries and ice cream but that goes straight to my hips.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting a goal you set.

It's not "poison" nor really bad. A 300 calories sandwich is not excessive for a meal. And yes they use real eggs, cheese and ham, the same you would buy at a store.

It's positive for the OP to avoid if McDonald's is her vice and derails her from losing weight, but McDonald's is hardly poison.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I highly disagree, but each to their own. You eat McD's everyday and I'll eat fresh foods from the farmers markets everyday and we'll see who dies first.

Most all diseases that cause early death are caused by a bad diet coupled with being overweight, and by bad diet, I mean eating at a surplus and hitting terrible macros (low protein, low fat, high carb for example). If you are at a healthy weight, and you exercise, and you hit good macros, to be honest, it almost doesn't matter what you eat, you will be fine. That being said, I eat 4 servings of vegetables and 3 pieces of fruit every day coupled with a multivitamin and fish oil, but that doesn't mean I don't eat a lot of what "clean" eaters would consider to be poison. This is evidenced by the multitude of IIFYM eaters, who regularly eat Ice cream, pop tarts, and fast food everyday, while still hitting their macros and have immaculate cholesterol levels, ideal blood pressure, low resting heart rates, and basically perfect health. Bring on the ice cream, pizza, fast food, twinkies etc. Diet freedom is bliss.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I sometimes have lunch from McDonald's.
    Chicken nuggets or chicken wings and a side salad (no dressing).

If I didn't diet, I'd have French fries and ice cream but that goes straight to my hips.

I eat ice cream almost every day of my life. Amusingly, this only started recently once I started losing weight again.

It doesn't "go straight to your hips" if you eat it while in a calorie deficit. A couple of the most fantastically successful women here on MFP also eat ice cream every day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Diet freedom is bliss.

This is exactly right. Having a healthy outlook on food is about freedom, not demons and fear. Denying yourself something you love is a form of self-torture, not a path to a healthy body.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting a goal you set.

It's not "poison" nor really bad. A 300 calories sandwich is not excessive for a meal. And yes they use real eggs, cheese and ham, the same you would buy at a store.

It's positive for the OP to avoid if McDonald's is her vice and derails her from losing weight, but McDonald's is hardly poison.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I highly disagree, but each to their own. You eat McD's everyday and I'll eat fresh foods from the farmers markets everyday and we'll see who dies first.

Most all diseases that cause early death are caused by a bad diet coupled with being overweight, and by bad diet, I mean eating at a surplus and hitting terrible macros (low protein, low fat, high carb for example). If you are at a healthy weight, and you exercise, and you hit good macros, to be honest, it almost doesn't matter what you eat, you will be fine. That being said, I eat 4 servings of vegetables and 3 pieces of fruit every day coupled with a multivitamin and fish oil, but that doesn't mean I don't eat a lot of what "clean" eaters would consider to be poison. This is evidenced by the multitude of IIFYM eaters, who regularly eat Ice cream, pop tarts, and fast food everyday, while still hitting their macros and have immaculate cholesterol levels, ideal blood pressure, low resting heart rates, and basically perfect health. Bring on the ice cream, pizza, fast food, twinkies etc. Diet freedom is bliss.
    AMEN!
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Good for you for losing the weight Jonny, but still doesn't mean fast food is "healthy". I wonder how much better your numbers would be if you had chosen better foods than this. There's not a single argument you can make that can definitively prove that eating this list of chemicals is on par with whole foods prepared by one's self.
    None.
    You will never convince me that processed food is as "healthy" or more "healthy" than a whole food.
    I put quotes around healthy because health is broad measure, not one that can be defined by a simple lipid profile, cholesterol test, etc... it's a collection of things.
    Oh, and eating cholesterol doesn't raise your blood cholesterol.
  • jenn_zimm
    jenn_zimm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Now I'm sad it's too late for McDonald's breakfast...
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I came here to support you. I cut back on my Mcd's before I was off for summer. I don't know if I lost weight or not - wasn't weighing then - weighing often is not something I do. But I knew, it wasn't the best choice FOR ME. Problem is if I drove through for ANY reason - like those giant unsweetened teas for $1 I'd have to fight myself not to order other things! That dollar menu was killing my resolve. Only $1? Sure, I have $3 so lets just for today get a .... bad decision for ME. If it hurts you - then that's your cross to bear...

Maybe we need some bully repellent.... be supportive people. Because it's her nemesis - doesn't mean it's yours as well.

I APPLAUD YOU! You do what you need to do... I've learned diets don't work sometimes because whatever you are trying others want to pick it apart and tell you what you SHOULD be doing... well let them do it and I'll do mine. I got your back, you just keep moving down your path.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Good for you for losing the weight Jonny, but still doesn't mean fast food is "healthy". I wonder how much better your numbers would be if you had chosen better foods than this. There's not a single argument you can make that can definitively prove that eating this list of chemicals is on par with whole foods prepared by one's self.

And there's not a single argument you can make that can "definitively prove" that my numbers would be any better if I had eaten the same macronutrients of any other food.

You will never convince me that processed food is as "healthy" or more "healthy" than a whole food.

Well, at least you admit to being irrational and biased and immune to science and logic. Good luck with that.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    http://www.squawkfox.com/2013/03/21/egg-mcmuffin/

Make it at home. It's cheaper and while not significantly leaner, you at least cant control the source of the ingredients.

You can reach your weight loss goals while eating fast food, but for most people moderation is key and proving to yourself you can live without fast food is an awesome thing.

So congrats on your first triumph.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    None.
    I put quotes around healthy because health is broad measure, not one that can be defined by a simple lipid profile, cholesterol test, etc... it's a collection of things.

Kinda makes me laugh. It's evident by your posts that you have done very little research into scientific studies on nutrition. Don't accept things as truth without doing your own research into scientific papers on the matter, and if it's not a scientific paper, it's meaningless.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    None.

First it can't be measured in weight loss, now it can't be measured in weight loss and a champ lipid profile? I lowered my BP from 190/100 to 125/75 IN ADDITION to a great imrpvement of my cholesterol so where do you stand on the trifecta? What else IS THERE?!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    None.

First it can't be measured in weight loss, now it can't be measured in weight loss and a champ lipid profile? I lowered my BP from 190/100 to 125/75 IN ADDITION to a great imrpvement of my cholesterol so where do you stand on the trifecta? What else IS THERE?!

The goalposts always move. It's not weight, body composition, strength, performance, lipid profile, blood pressure, CBC, or anything else. It's just "bad" or "you'll know you were wrong when you die at 45" or something.