cutting portions vs clean eating

Options
ced1389
ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't deprive myself of anything, but I generally eat very very clean and consciously. I also work out. I am in a constant debate with my aunt (she is 40 and has 2 year old twins and CONSTANTLY complaining about losing baby weight). I know our situations are different, however, when her and I were working out together after taking her boys to swim lessons - she was doing about 20 moderate minutes on the elliptical (which is totally fine if that's what you're capable of) and then eating mcdonald's after (I had their oatmeal and was even a little upset about that)! What she said was "no matter what I do, I lose weight slowly, so I'll just cut my portions." So eating a big mac and only having half the fries is going to help you lose weight? Call me crazy, but that's already more than you just burned on the elliptical...

I'm not judging anybody in any way, shape or form, if it works for them to only have 2 slices of pizza instead of 4 and lose weight, that's great. But I can't seem to find the right words to explain to her why what she eats plays a huge role in her weight loss. Nevermind the calories, what about all the sugar and fat and etc?! I know I can't force her to do it the right way but I'm always over at her house helping her with the twins and I'm to the point where I want to just say "Look, if you're not going to do anything about it, please stop b!itching about it!"

So -- does cutting portions vs clean eating ACTUALLY work? And to what extent? Yes, you'll slowly lose weight, but won't you still look flabby? It's about nutrition. How can I make that clear?

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy does far more for flab than choosing broccoli instead of pizza. Cutting portions only works if you are taking in fewer calories than you burn in a day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    if you eat less then what you used to eat you will lose weight for a bit.. until there is no longer a deficet. So she's not wrong.. she's just setting herself up for failure. You are talking about teaching her nutrition more then anything else. Good luck.. until people are ready to recognize they are making the wrong choices, they will not recognize it.

You can lead a a horse to water...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So -- does cutting portions vs clean eating ACTUALLY work? And to what extent? Yes, you'll slowly lose weight, but won't you still look flabby? It's about nutrition. How can I make that clear?
    Yes it will work, and why would you still look flabby. Your body will not know if the 30 grams of protein came from a big mac or chicken breast. As long as your macros, micros, and cals are the same there will be no difference in weight loss (fat loss and muscle retention). That said you may feel better eating clean, but as far as fat/weight loss, no difference at all.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    well by cutting the portions you cut back on the calories so technically you'll lose weight. but obviously its not the healthy way to do it. by eating clean your body uses the nutrition you're feeding it more effectively, and can eat more for less calories. plus you just feel better overall. its a win win!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If she tracks her intake and cuts portion sizes to a caloric deficit, she'll lose weight.

If she randomly eats half a serving of fries, sometimes, she probably won't see any results.
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy does far more for flab than choosing broccoli instead of pizza. Cutting portions only works if you are taking in fewer calories than you burn in a day.

^^^^ TRUTH!!!!!!!
  • Kabear2013
    Kabear2013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I take it that losing weight is not REALLY a priority for her right now just something to talk and rant about.
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lost 68 pounds by just cutting portions and working out...I met my goal weight, but not sure it works for all
  • ced1389
    Options
    I lost 68 pounds by just cutting portions and working out...I met my goal weight, but not sure it works for all

That's awesome! Congrats :smile:
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Cutting portions does work, as long as you cut to where you are eating at a deficit. When I cut portions before I found MFP and started logging, I don't think I cut them enough to lose even though it felt like it, probably just enough to stop gaining.

She needs to actually track both exercise and food. Suggest she try MFP for a couple of weeks (the people I have suggested it to said they wouldn't try it because they wouldn't stick with it). Tell her that by tracking for just a couple of weeks she will be able to see where things really stand and be able to make changes that might help her lose weight faster. (and hopefully she will keep tracking after a couple of weeks - but don't mention that part)
  • ced1389
    Options
    I take it that losing weight is not REALLY a priority for her right now just something to talk and rant about.

Definitely feels that way...
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day its all about calories in vs. calories out. If she is ending the day burning more calories than she has consumed, and is consistent with that, she will lose weight. I do agree with you however, if you are going to lose weight and cut calories it is better to get a great day full of whole, natural and clean foods - not having half of a Mcdonalds hamburger and not eating anything else for supper.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Laws of thermodynamics...if there is a calorie deficit, either works fine. Probably getting better nutrition eating more nutrient dense whole foods, but really, weight loss is about calorie deficit. If there is a deficit of calories from maintenance, you lose weight...'cuz science.

My first 20 Lbs came with just portion control. A ME serving was always way more than an actual serving and I was never shy about going back for 2nds either. Before I found MFP and counted calories, I just cut back and had 1 serving of anything and nothing more and gradually lost my first 20 Lbs. My second 20 Lbs came with MFP and calorie counting and training and properly fueling that training and getting some good nutrition on.

Also, you burn calories just being alive...so it's not really about eating more calories than you burned on an elliptical unless you're trying to create your deficit with exercise...it's much more efficient to create your deficit in your diet. The vast majority of calories you burn in a day are burned just being alive...pumping your heart...making our lungs work, etc. These are your BMR calories and make up about 60-70% of your daily burn on average...then you have your NEAT and TEF...and finally your exercise (EAT). Exercise for most people is fairly nominal in RE to actual calories burned in a day...unless of course you're an athlete or are over training.
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe show her how much more food she could eat if she's eating healthier? I tried cutting back portions and I was always hungry.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'll let someone else post the obligatory Twinkie diet link.

Looks like rubbish to you? That's okay, she's the one trying to lose weight. She's the one who needs to be satisfied with what she has, and if she sticks better to smaller portions of McDonalds than heaps of veggies and she sticks to it long enough to get the job done then she's built a better mousetrap for herself. Remember, there's only one person her diet needs to work for: her. Not you, but her.
  • ced1389
    Options
    I'll let someone else post the obligatory Twinkie diet link.

Looks like rubbish to you? That's okay, she's the one trying to lose weight. She's the one who needs to be satisfied with what she has, and if she sticks better to smaller portions of McDonalds than heaps of veggies and she sticks to it long enough to get the job done then she's built a better mousetrap for herself. Remember, there's only one person her diet needs to work for: her. Not you, but her.

I was simply asking if there was success in it or a way to better explain my point of view on why I think clean eating is better. I mean, she is my aunt, regardless of her size I would like her to lay off the mcdonald's a little simply so I have her around longer. I am in no way judging her or her form of dieting. But I DO think that if she is going to complain about it and compare her weight loss to mine, she should take it more seriously.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Weight loss = calories consumed less than calories burned. period.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've always had good luck with just cutting portions, but I do make good choices in terms of what I'm eating too. It sounds like you're more interested in getting her to eat healthier. I'd just tell her what you said above, that you want her to eat healthier so you don't lose her at a young age. I wouldn't expect her to start eating clean all of a sudden, but she could make better choices, like eating the grilled classic chicken sandwich at McDonalds instead of a Big Mac. And not getting a meal, but just a sandwich and drink (or better yet, water). I wouldn't tell her to completely give up the McDonalds. I'm her age and I have kids. I go to McDonald's occasionally too. I just make better choices. There are things she can do that aren't as drastic as giving up McDonalds completely, things that are easier to change so she won't feel deprived. I think you'd be better off giving her suggestions like that.
  • ced1389
    Options
    Thanks guys :happy:
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you can lose weight by eating smaller portions of "unhealthy" food, but to me, it's hard to do because I always feel hungry. By eating more nutrient dense food, I can feel satisfied and still lose weight. For me, I know balance is key - I have to eat right most of the time, but if I felt like I could never get some french fries agan, I'd definitely have a hard time.

I do have a friend who just cuts portions, no workouts, and she's lost all of her post baby weight (and then some).