7 pounds in 10 days?....

Options
My initial weight loss has been high -- 7 pounds in 10 days -- on myfitnesspal. I'm verrrrry happy, and consider it a success. :smile: But I just want to make sure it's ok to lose so quickly.

I'm wondering if it's "water weight"?..... Like, that initial weight you sometimes lose at the beginning of a program? On WW I used to have a good first week, like 2-3 pounds, but never 7.

I don't expect to lose at this rate for long.

My calories are set at 1600. I'm hoping that's not too low. I put in my height, weight, and how much I want to lose, and that's what it came up with.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is water weight.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Since you have just started, much of that weight loss will be water weight. This is very typical of people who have just started a weight loss program. They tend to lose that first 10 - 30 pounds very quickly (depending on just how heavy you are - extremely obese people will loose lots right off the bat) and then will start to see the weight loss taper off. This is TOTALLY normal. 1600 doesn't seem to low to me - it seems just fine! Make sure you keep exercising and drinking lots of water!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Mostly water weight, the weight loss should steady
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's normal for most people to dump a huge amount of water and waste weight from eating fewer grams of food the first week or so.

It's only possible for the human body to lose about 1-2lbs of fat (unless super mega obese) a week. The rest of weight loss has to be a combination of lean muscle, water, and waste.

1600 sounds good just make sure you eat back exercise calories to maintain your deficit.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Make sure to be consistent with how much water you are drinking^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's probably water weight. I dropped six pounds the first week and 3-4 pounds the following week. Then it slowed to a normal pace.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could keep that up AND have it be healthy? ;) I'd love to lose six pounds per week. I could be at goal weight in no time.
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A pound or 2 might be "real lose" but I would say the majority of it is water weight.
  • devils44
    devils44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    With an significant change in diet and exercise you will typically lose weight faster in the beginning, but then the weight loss will normalize. Just beware of the plateau!!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    water weight, salt intake, how much you ****....you will "normalize" and maybe lose 1-2 pounds a week, but that is still a great loss.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    yes. water.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yep... water weight. A vast majority of people will lose 5-15lbs in their first week or two because of water weight and watching what goes in their mouth (carbs, protein, sodium).

Cutting out soda, fast food and high sodium foods is a sure fire way to lose pounds quickly. However, beware...it WILL slow down. Losing that much so quickly week after week is NOT healthy. Stick to 1-2lbs per week tops until you get closer to goal weight.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just lost the same amount in the same time frame. Doesn't it feel amazing?! While you can say "oh it's just water weight" that's still a good thing. You're taking a huge step and that's something to be proud of. Plus your clothes probably are already looser (I know mine are). Keep up the good work and you'll reach your goal. :)
  • Bellvillian
    Bellvillian Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am impressed with your weight loss and your goals. Can you tell me how you are doing it and could we connect as 'friends' I have a feeling you are going to motivate me for the long haul -- looking for life style change and on WW right now. Loving this site!! Great support :smile:
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    1600 is fine if you're more on the sedentary side
    If you're not particularly active your recommended intake's gonna be on the lower side. This is also true if you selected that you wanted to lose 2 lbs/week.

I'm 182lbs right now & on the lightly active-moderately active side & trying to lose 1.5-2 lbs per week, & MFP has me at 1200 calories O.o

When I first joined I was 210lbs & not so active & they had me at 1350. Now 28 lbs later & slightly more active I'm at 1200. Obviously it's working, I joined 10 weeks ago.

However, 28lbs in 10 weeks is a bit too fast in my opinion, especially considering I go over my intake on occasion. So I went in & did it custom & upped my daily calorie intake.

So if you do feel that 1600 is a bit low & difficult for you, you can customize it & set it at any amount you'd like. As you lose weight, MFP lowers the amount.
    Mine became 1200 when I hit 25 lbs lost.

I didn't quite agree with a decently active 185lb 22 year-old girl eating only 1200 a day, so I changed it. Feel free to do the same if you don't like your progress!
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I entered in that I wanted to lose 20 pounds. Initially I had entered in that I wanted to lose 60 pounds, and I was having trouble with the calorie count it gave me (I was still hungry), so I changed it to "lose 20 pounds", and it calculated 1600 calories per day for me.

I figured it was water weight. I'm not "super mega obese" (i'm not sure what that is -- what the stats are), but I would actually like to lose *more* than 60. Like 70 would be fabulous. But 20 is a good start as a total "goal". And 7 is a good jump start on 20. :happy: (and yes, I know alllllll about plateaus, you guys. omg. that happened to me many times on weight watchers. this program is easier for me than weight watchers, though.....)

Bellvilian - sure, send me a request and remind me who you are. :smile: I don't know how I'm doing it except that I'm really into this sight, it's the first time that it's "interesting" to me to be on a program. It's just the right format for me -- I'm an internet surfer and I luv my phone, so cyberspace is a good format for me, I guess. :glasses: I LOVE, love ***LOVE*** not having to count ANYTHING. (having it done for me). I feel like I hired someone to count all of it for me. :smile:

One reason I think I've lost so much these past 10 days is I'm drinking the 8 glasses of water per day. I wasn't doing that before, not even half that. So I think my body really likes all of the water. And I'm also logging everything, which I've never done so well before, even when I make "mistakes", I still log it. And I notice, when I log it, it's never as bad as I thought it would be.

For sure, though, I need to find some "shakes" that I can use, because once the school year starts up again, I'm on the run with my kids a lot, and I need some high protein, low fat, verrrrrry low carb shakes, that are CHOCOLATE, or chocolate malt, or white chocolate. OMG, I'm hungry now.
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh, and in my daily logging, while I'm doing well with calories, I'm not doing as well with sodium and sugar. So I still have to work on that.