NO MCDONALDS

Options

Replies

• sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Which science are we talking about? The one that told us to go low fat in the 90's and is now changing that stance? or the one that said eggs are good, then they were bad, then they were good again?
    What about the one that said, time and time again, LIMIT FAST FOODS? or are we throwing that one out because it doesn't fit your argument?
    Define which science you are talking about please. I'm curious.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Over 40 lbs in 3 months and I love me some grilled Premium McWraps! Eat one at least 4 times a week for dinner.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Which science are we talking about? The one that told us to go low fat in the 90's and is now changing that stance? or the one that said eggs are good, then they were bad, then they were good again?
    What about the one that said, time and time again, LIMIT FAST FOODS? or are we throwing that one out because it doesn't fit your argument?

I'd say since Science changes as the research becomes more advanced, you have to go with the latest facts. They used to say the earth was round too, but I'm relatively sure that isn't the case anymore.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else see the McDonalds ad ^^
  • kmae75
    kmae75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Conveniently posted McDonalds advertisement below :-)
    Might need a cheeze burger now .
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's a McDonald's food phenomenon with me: The less I eat it the less I crave it. Ever made a berger by yourself? Buy some buns, some lettuce, tomatos, ketchup and some meat and make your patties- then you know how damn bad McDonald's is and would rather not eat there, ever. Well, that's my anti-McDo tactic.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting a goal you set.

It's not "poison" nor really bad. A 300 calories sandwich is not excessive for a meal. And yes they use real eggs, cheese and ham, the same you would buy at a store.

It's positive for the OP to avoid if McDonald's is her vice and derails her from losing weight, but McDonald's is hardly poison.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I highly disagree, but each to their own. You eat McD's everyday and I'll eat fresh foods from the farmers markets everyday and we'll see who dies first.

Well, with your nose so high in the air, I'd like to think that you are inhaling more CO2 than I am.
    Also, since you feel so compelled to look down that nose and belittle everyone else's decisions and opinions, it would seem that someone's soul needs cleansing and personality needs overhauling.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post went south so fast. We're supposed to be applauding this person for their personal victory. Who the heck hijacked this thread.

Everyone's an expert on here right? Well guess what? Every field has experts that disagree on things. So stop the arguing, agree to disagree, do what works for you and move on.

Arguing on the internet is just childish.

Can't we just go back to the world of support, rainbows, flowers, bunnies, and glitter?

Better?

460834199_106964.gif
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I came here to support you. I cut back on my Mcd's before I was off for summer. I don't know if I lost weight or not - wasn't weighing then - weighing often is not something I do. But I knew, it wasn't the best choice FOR ME. Problem is if I drove through for ANY reason - like those giant unsweetened teas for $1 I'd have to fight myself not to order other things! That dollar menu was killing my resolve. Only $1? Sure, I have $3 so lets just for today get a .... bad decision for ME. If it hurts you - then that's your cross to bear...

Maybe we need some bully repellent.... be supportive people. Because it's her nemesis - doesn't mean it's yours as well.

I APPLAUD YOU! You do what you need to do... I've learned diets don't work sometimes because whatever you are trying others want to pick it apart and tell you what you SHOULD be doing... well let them do it and I'll do mine. I got your back, you just keep moving down your path.

I agree on the bully repellent. The same people attack every post that is negative about fast food. They are just not positive about anything. Starting to think they get paid to promote these chains!

God I wish they paid me.

In reality, it's about seeing person after person after person demonize fast food, cut it out completely from their diet, and ultimately fail. I see you only have 36 posts so you're new to all this but I'm sure you'll see it too.

Diets that prohibit you from eating food you want to eat are doomed to failure. Eventually you will give in and eat it and therefore fail. That first "failure" so often starts a decline that leads to weight gain and uncontrolled behavior.

It's much more healthy to realize that there are no demon foods that are automatically bad for you. It's much more healthy and sustainable to allow yourself to have those foods you love as long as you do so in a controlled way.

THIS! I love my chocolate! I still eat my chocolate! NOW I eat one peanut butter cup instead of a whole KING size bar. I love Pizza! I still eat Pizza! NOW I eat one slice instead of a whole large pizza. I just make sure it is in my allowance for the day and go with it because I KNOW ME. If I call this a DIET, I will FAIL. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

And I don't know how to cut a quote down. I was talking about the "It's much more healty to realize that there are no demon foods that are automatically bad for you---blah blah blah" I will learn one day to be a posting Queen!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Science is constantly progressing based on new information. If you refuse to accept new information because it doesn't fit your Utopian vision of what healthy is, then I don't know what to tell you. Science does not tell you to cut out fast food. Some feel good USA Today article or some quasi nutritionist with no credentials probably told you to cut out fast food. The nutrition science of a decade ago told you that it was better to eat 6 smaller meals instead of 3, new information came along to show that was incorrect. The nutrition science as it stands today, based on scientific research, done by actual scientists says that your body reacts to macronutrients and micronutrients the same and does not differentiate what source they came from Nobody on here said you should get your entire diet from fast food, but you shouldn't cut it down or cut it out because someone on TV said you should. If you want to know what foods are bad for you, here you go: no individual food is bad for you, you have to look at that food in the context of your diet for the day. I'm willing to change my views if new reputable scientific evidence comes out proving wrong the current evidence, but until that happens, I'll stick with the most accurate scientific data and results...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    one should not eat meat cheese and bread every day for breakfast whether at home or out. It's hard on the wallet and yes, hard on the waste line.

What's wrong with meat, cheese and bread for breakfast?
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post went south so fast. We're supposed to be applauding this person for their personal victory. Who the heck hijacked this thread.

Everyone's an expert on here right? Well guess what? Every field has experts that disagree on things. So stop the arguing, agree to disagree, do what works for you and move on.

Arguing on the internet is just childish.

Can't we just go back to the world of support, rainbows, flowers, bunnies, and glitter?

Better?

460834199_106964.gif

Much. :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    great
    im still going there for a salad with low fat vinegarette dressing
    and a fruit parfait an d large iced tea
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    OP-CONGRATS!!! You set a goal.

I can relate. We were eating fast food breakfast 3-4 days a week! I would get oatmeal, but most times I would get a #2 or a # (McMuffin, Sausage Biscuit). For me it wasn't good--sodium too high. I try to watch it, but don't always keep it under 1500-2000mg a day.

I use to live near a Burger King and a Chick Fil A; the lady at Burger King knew me--I would stop there that much; she commented once when I wasn't there for a week. I congratulated on her engagement.

Not only has it not helped in my weight loss, but also the cost. We would spend $10-12 a day (it would usually be me, dh and 6 yo)--3x a week; that adds up.

The other day I had to stop; I'm glad they listed the calories.

My goal is not eat there but maybe 2-3 times a month-but that is more for $$ reasons and also for my weight loss goals/health.

My cholesterol levels have ranged from 115-134 (total); my blood pressure is an issue-hence why I really should avoid fast food on a REGULAR basis--moderation is what I need.
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You set a goal of not stopping @ McDonald's and you accomplished it. Awesome! Just keep that streak going every day.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    In before the lock!
  • wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    That's a huge step!!! Congratulations!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    As delicious as the following list sounds, i'll stick to making my own food rather than this garbage. Make no mistake, just because you can lose weight eating it, doesn't mean its "healthy".

CANADIAN STYLE BACON:
    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sugar, Salt, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Sodium Diacetate And Sodium Nitrite (Preservatives)

EGG:
    Ingredients: USDA Grade A Eggs.
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin,
    Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color)

ENGLISH MUFFIN WITH 8 g WHOLE GRAIN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Whole Wheat
    Flour, Yeast, Maltodextrin, Cornmeal, Contains 2% Or Less: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate
    (Preservative), Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Dough Conditioners (DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono- and Tricalcium Phosphate, Enzymes), Calcium
    Citrate, Citric Acid, Wheat Starch, Torula Yeast, Caramel Color, Sorbitan Monostearate.

PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE:
    Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic
    Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

LIQUID MARGARINE:
    Ingredients: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and
    Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

Is the issue that it's McDonald's or that it's an egg, english muffin, canadian bacon, slice of cheese, and margarine, meaning that 4 of the 5 ingredients are "processed"? If you're arguing that processed foods are bad in general, sure, fine, whatever. That debate will never end. If you're arguing that McDonald's is the debbil because the ingredients are sketchy, I don't see much difference between what McDonald's uses and the items needed to make it at home (cost and time being other issues entirely).

Thomas'® Original English Muffins

Ingredients:

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, FARINA, YEAST, SUGAR, SALT, SOYBEAN OIL, PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID), GRAIN VINEGAR, MONOGLYCERIDES, NONFAT MILK, SOY FLOUR, WHEY.

Hormel Canadian Style Bacon
    Ingredients
    Cured with Water, Salt, Potassium Lactate, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

Kraft Singles

Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, CHEESE CULTURE, ANNATTO AND PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR), ENZYMES, VITAMIN D3. CONTAINS: MILK.

Smart Balance Buttery Spread (15 oz)

Ingredients (21):
    Oil Blend Natural (Palm Fruit, Soybean(s), Canola, Olive Oil) , Water, Contains less than 22% of Salt, Whey from Milk, Monoglycerides of Vegetable Fatty Acids, Sorbitan Ester of Fatty Acids, Soybean(s) Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Lactic Acid, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Di Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Beta Carotene

Congrats to OP for sticking to a goal. Whether or not we all agree or disagree with the motivations behind the goal are moot.
  • BYCHANCE67
    BYCHANCE67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! That was such a HUGE accomplishment!!! I struggle with that everyday! Great job!

MIchele
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    Good for you! I gave up McDonalds 6 years ago..it's garbage

I feel bad for people who still eat this crap.