Hay Fever

Options
Seefylol
Seefylol Posts: 197
Someone kill me please...

End the torment...

That feeling where I feel like I'm going to sneeze, I slightly tilt my head back, eyes water, mouth opens, waiting for a sneeze but it never comes.

The smell of cut grass... OH DEAR!

I feel like gouging out my eyes. So itchy!

Help meeeeeeeee!

Replies

• xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Have you tried an anti-histamine? Saline nasal drops? Plastic bubble? lol
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I feel you, brother. My face feels like it's going to fall off every time I sneeze, I wish it just would already.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Have you tried an anti-histamine? Saline nasal drops? Plastic bubble? lol

A plastic bubble sounds great right about now. As for the others, nothing seems to work :(
  • anjani_009
    anjani_009 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I know that feel :(

tumblr_mpcmreUUN81r5m5xxo1_250.gif

I recently changed tablets, because I got immune for the old ones. And I got 'stronger' nasal spray, my eyes still get itchy when it's really hot, but it's a lot better. You might want to ask your doc for better meds
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra; all over-the-counter antihistamines that are far less drowsy than old-school Benadryl. One of those should help with the sneezy, drippy, ickiness. Zatador or Alaway eye drops are awesome for pretty much instant itchy eye relief. These are my tools from first thaw to first frost :smile:
  • tatey2009
    tatey2009 Posts: 47
    Options
    I am a severe case with Hayfever and have had the injections, steroids, standard tablets of all varieties etc Each day I have 3 2 minute bursts with infra red light prongs up my nose, take 1 of my prescribed tablets plus another 3 - 4 standard anti histamines, nasal spray and eye drops around 3 - 4 times per day

BUT the thing that really takes the edge off so I can function is a hay band. Seriously, this thing I stock round my arm that targets some acupressure point in the crook of my elbow is my saviour!

I would love to wear it all the time but it do find it a little uncomfortable and I get fed up of folk asking me what I have done to my arm but when I am having a really bad day I put this on and it helps so so much, I have found myself reducing thre number of anti histamines I take if I wear this

I got the band online - if you google hayband it should bring up stockists. They are around £10 but worth every single penny ... I feel your pain, just give it a try for the sake of a tenner x
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I got
    ragweed, grass, pollen, dust, mold, pet dander allergies
    take an allergy pill 1 hour before you go outside
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I hear you... My allergies have been really bad this year. I had the joy of combining that with a killer cold that then developed into an eye infection. :grumble: I am now taking reactine twice daily. Since doubling up on that I have felt quite a bit better. I can only hope this goes like last year and it will be over for me within a couple more weeks!
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I completely understand. Here they call it "cedar fever" and it makes me want to peel off my face to I can scratch all those itchy places behind my eyes and between my ears, nose, and throat.

BTW, if you feel a sneeze coming on but can't quite get it to blow, look at a bright light. It's called the Photic Sneeze Reflex. Irritation in the nose is sensed by the trigeminal cranial nerve, and is close to the optic nerve. When you look into a bright light, the optic nerve fires to signal the brain to constrict the pupils. Some of the electrical signal is sensed by the trigeminal nerve and mistaken by the brain as an irritant in the nose.

It helps me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I took 2 anti-histamines on Saturday, and i didn't realize they weren't non-drowsy. I felt like i was dying. My eyes were rolling in the back of my head, i couldn't stay conscious for more then 2 minutes at a time. I finally had to go lay down for a 3 hour nap. My neti pot is my savior, and eye drops. In fact, I just had an eyeball bath because i can't handle my itchy eyes anymore. I might as well eat M&M's for all that claritin helps, and reactin floors me. My nose is permanently red I swear, and it won't stop itching! I do however LOVE TO SNEEZE...it's an instant pressure release. Not for long, but it's some relief lol
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Would standing in a hot shower help?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Here they call it "cedar fever"

Don't even have to look at your profile to know you're from Texas haha! I NEVER had allergies before I moved here.