Protein suggestions for vegetarians?

Options
Hi I do not eat meat or fish and do not eat eggs. I am not vegan but I don't eat eggs unless its cooked in cake, etc. Any suggestions for protein intake? I do eat Tofu and Lentils/chickpeas, and yogurt.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Feel free to poke around in my diary if you like. I've been vegetarian for the last seven years. Protein powders are always a good option, and there are plenty that are vegetarian or vegan. Some of the fake meats are pretty good, but you have to watch sodium levels. The morningstar chick'n strips are particularly good. Nuts and nut butters are okay protein and a good source of dietary fat, which a lot of vegetarians lack. Cheese can also be a good option.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    Howdy. :)

I am vegan. Various health conditions mean that I actually have to limit protein intake, however. And that is actually sometimes very hard to do, believe it or not! So, if you want high protein vegan stuff, I'd suggest quinoa. Beans. Lentils. Soy, if you want, including the so-called "meat replacements," although I tend to go easy on that because A) I tend to think that too much soy is probably not the best thing in the world for you. B) I don't feel any need to have "meat replacements." C) Most of the stuff is highly processed, and I'm trying to avoid processed stuff without being fanatical about it. Also, nuts and seeds are good, if you like them. (I don't, particularly.) If you're not gluten-phobic, there's seitan. Also, pasta can be relatively high in protein. A good meal of Cajun red beans and rice nets you complete protein and a ton of fiber, to boot. In short, I don't think you really need to worry about getting enough protein on even a vegan diet, much less an ovo-lacto one. I personally worry more about minerals like potassium and calcium and iron, so I'm careful about what I eat in that regard. (Greens are your friends!) I have no worries about protein at all. That said, I'm not a bodybuilder nor do I have aspirations to be one. If you do have such aspirations, then perhaps you might need to worry more about protein. Otherwise, so far as I've experienced, it's not much of an issue.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the simple way to go. A decent Whey or Soy Powder is good. Most brands give you 20-30g of protein a scoop. Just throw it in some milk or a smoothie and it'll be an easy fix.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, eggs)
    beans, nuts and seeds (i love pumpkin and sunflower seeds <3 )
    avocado
    soy & almond milk
    low carb flat breads
    spinach
    kale
    peas
  • 1OoAliciaoO1
    Options
    Hemp ,chia ,and flax seeds

" Hemp a vegan " complete" protein contains:
    * All 20 amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids (EAAs) our bodies cannot produce.
    * A high protein percentage of the simple proteins that strengthen immunity and fend off toxins.
    * Eating hemp seeds in any form could aid, if not heal, people suffering from immune deficiency diseases. This conclusion is supported by the fact that hemp seed has been used to treat nutritional deficiencies brought on by tuberculosis, a severe nutrition blocking disease that causes the body to waste away.
    * Nature’s highest botanical source of essential fatty acid, with more essential fatty acid than flax or any other nut or seed oil.
    * A perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega-6 Linoleic Acid and Omega-3 Linolenic Acid – for cardiovascular health and general strengthening of the immune system.
    * A superior vegetarian source of protein considered easily digestible."
    * A rich source of phytonutrients, the disease-protective element of plants with benefits protecting your immunity, bloodstream, tissues, cells, skin, organs and mitochondria.* The richest known source of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids.
  • parshay
    parshay Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for the post and suggestions. The chart shows that spinach has more protein than tofu which doesn't make sense. I'm a little skeptical of the vegan friendly list and its accuracy. It does provide some good ideas to get protein
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/vegetarianism/

This guys a vegetarian and a bodybuilder, he states some of his favourite sources of protein on there.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 9 years and have found that as long as you are eating a lot of different vegetables, especially the dark green ones, you will be fine.

I eat a lot of beans, they are my favorite protein source. I also eat tofu, tempeh, quinoa, eggs, and spinach. I also agree with the others that mentioned whey protein. I mix it into smoothies with frozen fruit and it's really tasty. Also, try switching from regular yogurt to greek yogurt.

If you are just starting out, meat substitutes are easy to transition to and contain a decent amount of protein. The Morningstar chicken mentioned earlier and mushroom lovers burgers are really good.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    All the suggestions are good and I would add fresh egg pasta if you can stomach it being made with egg.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Try a forum search for "vegetarian, protein"; there's lots of suggestions already.

http://greatist.com/health/7-alternative-proteins-meatless-mondays/

cc0890a66e4b9e00c99027d637aeed80.jpg