Running newbie - couch-to-5k, Haaaaaard!!

Options
I started the RunDouble couch-to-5k program, and I'm on week 4.

My questions is for any runners out there who did a similar program - does it get easier soon??? God above, i feel like I'm dying doing the run intervals (now up to 3 and 5 mins running (and by running, I mean jogging my gasping *kitten*...), 2x, with walking in between). Maybe its just this humidity recently, but even getting up in the morning before it gets hot....not going so well.

I want to be able to run a _decent_ 5k, but while I've been moving up through the weeks and can force myself to run the longer times, its really freaking hard!!

Are some people just not cut out to be runners?

Any tips people can give me to help out with this endeavor?

btw, 29y/o female.

Thank you!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slow down the run sections to the point that you aren't gasping. I mean slow down a lot, then slow down some more. If it's a shuffle, that's fine. Slow down.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I know you probably think (at least I did) that running means running like your being chased by an axe murdering clown...well it doesnt. Slow it down and run at a pace where you could still talk without dying. I've been running for a year and a half and I still have to force myself to slow down an realize I don't have to be at my all out pace to run.
  • RVerma13
    RVerma13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I started my C25K program in Jun & today is my 2nd Day of 6th week.

Let me tell you, for some reason 4th week was the toughest. Even the 20 min at a stretch run didn't feel as bad as week 4. My advice, just hang in there, you can do it. As a matter of fact, it was the 4th week when I started using ice packs after my runs :). Believe me you are not alone.

I use Nike + app for motivation and would definitely recommend for motivation.

Keep Running...
    All The Best...
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hey I started c25k in October and I'm still not done, running 2-4 times a week depending on my schedule, I just don't progress that fast. And ya know what, I don't care! I was getting mad at myself until I realized what my REAL goal when I started was to be able to burn some calories relatively quickly in a short morning working that would help clear my head. Mission accomplished and I will get my 5k one of these days.

Also it's true, in order to get to the point of running 10 minutes straight I had to slow down to the point I feared people were laughing at me!! Luckily no one much is up at that hour so the joke's on them. :)
  • betchay1000
    betchay1000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have done a similar one. I agree slow down if it is too hard. The idea is to continually move during the running bit and have a good heart rate. Then walking should be brisk not a drag - like I used to do myself. Yes, it gets easier. Keep it up. Oh last tip, make sure you are wearing the correct shoes. Once I commited to getting better shoes, my running has been much more enjoyable - imagine that!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything above! Slow down so that you feel comfortable. You should be able to hold a conversation when running.

I'm doing the c210k program (which is the c25k for the first 8 weeks), but week 4 was the hardest. Then you start getting better at holding your pace. I'm now running 2.5 miles (at the end of week 8), and it's only hard for the first minute or two. Then you're in the groove.

Don't be afraid to repeat a day or week if you need to. You aren't required to do each day/week only one time and move on. If you're not quite ready, hold off. I'm pretty sure I did weeks 1-4 each 2-3 times before moving on. Then I didn't have to repeat and even skipped W6D2 because I didn't want to do intervals anymore and just run instead, and now I've repeated W8D2 and will repeat W8D3 tomorrow.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Slow down the run sections to the point that you aren't gasping. I mean slow down a lot, then slow down some more. If it's a shuffle, that's fine. Slow down.

Listen to Carson. He is very knowledgeable.
  • AJChenh
    AJChenh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k as well. I started in March and I am now on day one of the 5k improver program. What I did when I found I was having trouble is I would repeat a week instead of moving forward. Your body tells you when you're doing too much, listen to it.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k as well. I started in March and I am now on day one of the 5k improver program. What I did when I found I was having trouble is I would repeat a week instead of moving forward. Your body tells you when you're doing too much, listen to it.

What is the 5k improver program? I have been working to improve and so far just maintaining my 30-35 minute run.
  • AJChenh
    AJChenh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, you can download the program by Rundouble, it's a pretty simple program but works smoothly with my GPS. They have the 5k Improver program, along with the couch to 10k and a 10k improver program as well.
    If you don't, then I really recommend doing intervals (The first day of the program you run 300 meters, but really hard, then walk quickly for 100 meters for 3.1 miles, for example.) . Steady runs don't do much to improve your time.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes! It gets better, don't give up! Everyone has already told you, but I'll say it again...slow down. Eventually you will be AMAZED at what you have accomplished and how far you have come. The first time I started C25K I thought I would DIE after 60 seconds but now I run over an hour and I'm training for my first half marathon. It just takes time and patience, but if you continue doing it, it will get easier and you will be able to go longer and not feel like you are dying!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, you can download the program by Rundouble, it's a pretty simple program but works smoothly with my GPS. They have the 5k Improver program, along with the couch to 10k and a 10k improver program as well.
    If you don't, then I really recommend doing intervals (The first day of the program you run 300 meters, but really hard, then walk quickly for 100 meters for 3.1 miles, for example.) . Steady runs don't do much to improve your time.

Thanks I'll check it out!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It is HARD stuff you're doing. But stick with it and you will progress. If you're ever feeling really discouraged, remember back to how week one felt when you did it for the first time. Is week one still as hard as it was then? It's all perspective. And the advice to slow it down is solid.
  • FooteMommy
    FooteMommy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slow down. :) Like some of the others have said, listen to your body, and if you can't talk while running your intervals then slow down some more. The speed can be added later. When I started I was at a very slow pace of 15 min/mile, and now I am improved to an 11 min/mile (although, I am still slow I'm ok with that). Also, there is no shame in taking your time on the training. The whole point of running in intervals is to slowly strengthen your muscles and your heart and lungs. I did an 8 week program and finished it in 16 weeks. After smoking for 20 years I quit and decided to run, it took me longer then most but I eventually completed my 1st 5k in 27 1/2 minutes. Your body will tell you when you are going to fast and too far, but don't go so far as being afraid to push yourself either. Also, I found it easier to push myself and control my pace and breathing once I found a running partner. :) It will all be worth it in the end, and although it hurts and is hard, you will find that on so many levels you will be growing with each interval and each mile. Keep your head up and keep up the good work. :)
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If it's hard you're going too fast!!!! SLOW DOWN!!!! Take your stride down and don't worry about what everyone else looks like doing it. Running shouldn't mean gasping for air. Learning to run isn't about running fast, it's about running far.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i've been doing C25K for a few months now and i'm still stuck on week 2!! I jog almost every night and do cardio 3-5 times a week and I still cant get past week 2.:laugh: I've accepted the fact that I probably will never run a 5K, but I still enjoy the jogging I'm doing with my dog and C25K anyways.
  • healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Tried to search for Rundouble on my phone and no results came up. Reason is that it is for Androids. I would like a 5k improver program as my times have gotten slower and I'm trying to shake things up a bit - do you have any similar suggestions for iphones?
    Thanks
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You can always slow down or repeat some of the workouts until you are ready to move on.

Couch to 5K is like the gateway drug to running - lolz! I did my first 1/2M this past April!

I never thought I was a runner, but Couch to 5K and discovering that I will run as long as I can run outside have helped me find
    that hidden 'runner' in me!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would have to say ditto to what others have said about slowing down. It worked like a charm for me.

Also, I hate HATE the first 2 minutes or so of running because I feel like I'm going to die. I have to push myself over that mental hill and once I do, then I'm fine and can run for what feels like forever (until I hit the uphill by my house...still working on that part. lol).

Just keep running. Shuffle if you have to. You can do it!
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am also on week 4 of C25K. I have actually repeated W4D2 three times and was finally able to get through it last night. Like others have said,,,slow down your pace. I have to keep reminding myself that right now my goal is to increase my endurance level, not my speed. I do plan on doing 5k forever once I finish C25K to work on speed, but that's not the current goal.

Also, in the beginning I found myself being really enthusiastic and not taking rest days like the program calls for. I have found that those rest days are extremely important for my body and taking them makes the next run that much easier. Make sure you aren't trying to push through too quickly and not giving yourself those rest days.

Good luck!!