The 12 super foods that every nutrionist stocks

Options
pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
So I read an article with this title. I was really quite proud of myself because I had all but 2 of them in my kitchen and I have been incorporating them into my diet lately. Tell me if you agree with this list and if not...what super foods would you suggest;

1. Dark berries (blueberries and blackberries were specifically mentioned)
2. Almond milk
3. Oatmeal (not the quick kind and NOT the flavored packets)
4. cinnamon
5. Avocado
6. Greek Yogurt plain
7. Eggs
8. Extra virgin Olive Oil
9. Hummus
10. Nuts (they mentioned almonds and walnuts)
11. Kale
12. Quinoa

Replies

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't get the almond milk. A lot of people on here drink it -- what's the deal?

The rest of the stuff I get and understand -- well, except kale which tastes like I'm eating a plastic plant. But I like spinach and that's OK.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    All in all it looks like a very nutrient dense list.

As for magical qualities, no.

My list:

Beer
    Pizza
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I don't get the almond milk. A lot of people on here drink it -- what's the deal?

The rest of the stuff I get and understand -- well, except kale which tastes like I'm eating a plastic plant. But I like spinach and that's OK.

It's low cal and tasty. I don't even buy cow milk for myself anymore.

I love love love love this list. I buy nearly everything on it! Kale being excluded. Haven't tried it yet.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So I read an article with this title. I was really quite proud of myself because I had all but 2 of them in my kitchen and I have been incorporating them into my diet lately. Tell me if you agree with this list and if not...what super foods would you suggest;

2. Almond milk
    4. cinnamon
    5. Avocado
    6. Greek Yogurt plain
    7. Eggs
    9. Hummus
    11. Kale
    12. Quinoa

I stopped reading at "super foods."
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

The only reason I use almond milk is because it can be as low as 30 cals a cup opposed to 130 in regular milk (or whatever it is). Just means more room for beer at the end of the day.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    What's the deal with not eating the quick kind of oatmeal? Nutritionally they are the same......will be interested to hear folks thoughts.

We have replaced most rice and pasta with quinoa....has to be incorporated with other strong flavors but is really easy to digest and does not sit in your stomach.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

2. Almond milk
    4. cinnamon
    5. Avocado
    6. Greek Yogurt plain
    7. Eggs
    9. Hummus
    11. Kale
    12. Quinoa
    I eat 7/12 of these but I do it because I like them. If they have some "super" qualities to them, great, but I don't think so. Those are all filling foods with good macros (either good source of "healthy" fats, protein, and/or fiber). There's no harm in incorporating them into your diet, but if you don't like them, don't eat them.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of that (except almond milk?) - and I would add

Tomato
    Turkey
    Salmon
    Orange
    Pumpkin
    Beans
    Green Tea
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Nice. I eat all of these on a regular basis anyway except for the oatmeal. I hate oatmeal.
  • 4pac
    4pac Posts: 10 Member
    Options

The only reason I use almond milk is because it can be as low as 30 cals a cup opposed to 130 in regular milk (or whatever it is). Just means more room for beer at the end of the day.
    Claps hands furiously.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think all those foods are tasty. I don't think they're superfoods. They are calories with lots of healthy macros. But they don't do anything supercharged for me.

Unless I can buy a jet pack with those foods. THEN it's a super food!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    What's the deal with not eating the quick kind of oatmeal? Nutritionally they are the same......will be interested to hear folks thoughts.

We have replaced most rice and pasta with quinoa....has to be incorporated with other strong flavors but is really easy to digest and does not sit in your stomach.

Once you go old fashioned/rolled oats, you don't go back. Those little packets of the premade/quick cooking oats are no longer satisfying for me! :smile:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Claps hands furiously.

Because soy milk tastes disgusting, and I can't handle dairy. Surprisingly almond milk tastes really good, it has a long shelf life and has great calcium
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    For me almond milk is better. Cow milk tends to bloat me and makes me congested. I love dairy, especially cheese so I do not keep it in the house anymore and I only eat it on occasions. At one time I would eat a bar of sharp cheddar like a candy bar., but not anymore.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Wait, so I stock them...and I also have to EAT them? :tongue: :flowerforyou:
    Just kidding - thanks for posting.

Make mine STEEL CUT oats!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'd add lemon, and any/all fresh herbs (mint, parsley, cilantro,dill,etc...)
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

The difference is glycemic index.

Instant oats are a 66
    Old Fashioned oats are a 50
    Steel Cut oats are a 42

The lower the better (anything under 60 is generally considered low glycemic index) - meaning they take longer to digest/keep you feeling full longer and are better if you have any blood sugar issues/hypoglycemia/etc.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options

The glycemic index diet I'm on wants me to eat steel cut oats because they're higher in fiber. It's very big on fiber.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me almond milk is better. Cow milk tends to bloat me and makes me congested. I love dairy, especially cheese so I do not keep it in the house anymore and I only eat it on occasions. At one time I would eat a bar of sharp cheddar like a candy bar., but not anymore.

Same here - unsweetened almond milk is not only way lower calorie, but cow milk makes me feel gross and congested. I noticed a while back that it actually affects my sleep as well because I can't breathe as well at night. Eliminate dairy and no more problems with congestion.

Obviously that's not true for everyone, but the calorie thing is, provided you're not drinking a version with added sugar.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    not only is almond milk low in calories, it has 0 sugar and 1g of carbs per cup. cows milk has over 26g of carbs per cup i cant remember sugar i think its 11g or higher. i love to cook with it. i have all these foods except 9,11,and 12.