Anyone lose weight WITHOUT taking up running?

Options
Anyone out there have a weight loss success story that did NOT involve taking up running? I've tried running off and on the past few years and just can't get into it. But I feel like every success story I read, Biggest Loser, etc. always cites running as the major component of success. I really enjoy walking - I'm talking fast walking, working up a good sweat, not just leisurely - as well as spinning, Body Pump and other sculpting type classes, but I'm wondering if this is good enough for my weight loss goals. I'm going to purchase a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm really getting a good workout with the activities I listed, but I'm just curious if anyone has lost 30-40 pounds without becoming a runner??

Replies

• CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ummmm heck yes! I have crazy problem with my joints and cannot will not run! A nice all over body workout like TurboJam plus the cardio portion or even a power walk does it for me! I do 4.2 miles in an hour and burn 450 calories! Its great! If I even attempted to run it would be one sad @ss little half mile without near the calorie burn. Trick is to find something you enjoy and its easier to stick with! (I was at 165 once- now down to 138)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I don't run! And I have had great success.

I only run when someone I fear is chasing me :laugh:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Unless you count jogging in place during a warmup, no. I don't run. There are plenty of other exercises to do !
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Me. I have knee issues and doc said no running.

You can walk that weight off; and actually less impact on your knees is better.

There is a lot you can do to exercise without running to help in your journey.

Right now I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and have even modified the jumping jacks and jump rope portion to only doing the arm movements.

I walk every day at lunch; and then again a couple times a week after work.

I go to the gym 3 (sometimes 4) nights a week and if they say run; I walk fast...

Like someone else said; find what you like to do and just DO IT!!!
  • corsairpro
    corsairpro Posts: 13
    Options
    Easy way is to consume less than 100g of carbs per day paired with a 30 minute daily walk. Replace carbs with healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, avacado, nuts etc.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds. Didnt exercise. Didn't eat well. Mostly potato chips and mcdonalds.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Easy way is to consume less than 100g of carbs per day paired with a 30 minute daily walk. Replace carbs with healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, avacado, nuts etc.

Please stop spreading horrible nutrition advice...carbs are not bad for you. As long as you're hitting your minimum amounts of protein and fat and not going over your calorie goal, you can eat all the carbs you want. When I say minimum fat and protein, I don't mean the MFP goals, cause their protein goal is crazy low.

As for OP. I never run, just lift, and occasional HIIT, but no running. Down 26 lbs and built a bunch of muscle. Life is good.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't run! And I have had great success.

I only run when someone I fear is chasing me :laugh:

YES you have; great job!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm better than 2/3rds of the way, lost 21 lbs., and the ONLY time I run is when I remember that I've left the water running in the barn.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I don't like to run... I mean, road running. I run on the trails maybe once a week. But it's a walk-run combo. Otherwise, as mentioned by previous poster, find something you love to do to keep you moving.

I LOVE capoeira - Brazilian martial arts. And that will give anyone a run for their money :bigsmile:

I've had success with capoeira.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you see me running, you better run too, because something bad is chasing me.

I do martial arts (and lately bike, but that's because my car is broken).
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    no running here. Lost 45 Lbs.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a large amount of weight was from running, but had to give it up due to bad knees, this time around I've been able to lose the weight with Jillian Michaels and Turbo Fire with some strength training thrown in.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do not run either. I use the elliptical, treadmill, or bike. I sometimes just walk outside. And I eat at or below my daily calorie goal. I have lost 66 pounds. It can be done. Good luck!
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't run. I've tried, but am too out of shape for that kind of action. I walk and bike. I live close enough to work that I just walk there and back. Some nights, I'll rollerblade there and back. It's hard to argue with that commute!
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I was in the best shape of my life, I didn't run... or do much cardio at all really! I just lifted weights regularly, sometimes twice a day, and ate very healthy.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by eating at a deficit and lots of walking.

Now I am playing catch up to try to fill the loose skin with muscle, hard job, and very slow results.

So to answer your question, IMO you do not need to take up running. Strength training/weights are far more important
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do not and never have run. Not on a treadmill or on a path or street. I hate it. Absolutely hate it. I've lost 135 lbs.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Of course! I've been consistently losing 1-1 1/2 pounds a week without running!
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't run, and I lost 80 pounds. I do use the elliptical, and I take walks outside, and I do strength-building stuff on the machines at the gym. And I log all that (and my food, obviously) on MFP.

So there's hope for you too! :)