Anyone lose weight WITHOUT taking up running?

Options

Replies

• FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My husband and I took up biking which is really good seeing my husband has had back surgery, knee and ankle surgery so you can lose the weight without running!!!!!
  • lovenaire
    lovenaire Posts: 10
    Options
    I wish I could run, but the only time I get to do excercise is when I push the babies in the stroller around the neighborhood. I tried running with the double stroller, but the front wheels feel like they are falling off.

I average about 3 or pounds a week loss. Walking is about 2.5 miles each day, and weekends, I sometimes get that in twice.

My pointer is to eat better, eat less but more often, and just move that body. You will lose too.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, but I lost most of my weight before starting running. Mostly, I was walking, doing yoga, a little cycling, and I started lifting weights not long before I started running. Walking was the main one though.

You don't *need* any exercise to lose weight (although it's definitely to be recommended) and lots of people are successful with other forms of exercise. In terms of body composition, resistance training is more important than cardio, although cardio has lots of benefits too.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Easy way is to consume less than 100g of carbs per day paired with a 30 minute daily walk. Replace carbs with healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, avacado, nuts etc.

Please stop spreading horrible nutrition advice...carbs are not bad for you. As long as you're hitting your minimum amounts of protein and fat and not going over your calorie goal, you can eat all the carbs you want. When I say minimum fat and protein, I don't mean the MFP goals, cause their protein goal is crazy low.

As for OP. I never run, just lift, and occasional HIIT, but no running. Down 26 lbs and built a bunch of muscle. Life is good.

carbs are bad for me...really bad for me...being under 100g a day is the only thing that's working.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've lost +15 lbs since last winter. Did not run once.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <
    Allergic to running.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started running. I lost 70lbs before I decided to start. I'm also not running to lose weight, but because it was something I used to really enjoy before I gained weight.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Cycling. Lost over 100 lbs just cycling. It is amazing.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't run. I don't know when running became some sort of hobby, but it isn't for me. I'm not going to run a marathon. I'm not going to be chased by zombies. I don't need those weird toe shoes. No, no, no. I did force myself to do c25k and I lost a little weight but my body fat percentage went up. Pass.

I warm up before a weight lifting session on the treadmill for 15 minutes on an incline...but I walk. When I do cardio, it's the stairmaster (hate it, too, but man am I loving my tooshie) or a walk/hike outside, a group fitness class, or MAYBE some intervals on some machines if I'm feeling boring.

I'll leave the running to all the bunnies out there.
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds playing video games every day not exercise. 100% diet.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do a little running once in a while just because I can (a very little bit). That's mostly because at this time last year I never thought I'd be able to run again, so I don't want to take it too much for granted. It's far from "why" I've lost weight.
  • CVesta81
    CVesta81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yup! Lost 30 pounds doing P90X. You can find it at www.beachbody.com.
  • ksb1957
    ksb1957 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do not run..........and I am losing...........I am doing zumba! Zumba is fun and motivating...in fact.........it's down right addictive!! Good luck!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I only run when the squat rack suddenly comes open. It's worked pretty well for me. :wink:
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    27 lbs lost watching diet and swimming. I started May 13.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Think of me as Lt. Provenza from The Closer...I don't run!
    I have no ambition towards marathons, not going to happen.
    I've lost 60 pounds :-)
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i only run becasue I'm too poor for the gym
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :tongue: If a BEAR is chasing me, he'd better bring Salt & Pepper! I Do Not Run. I have Zero Desire to Run. I have HUGE respect and Admiration for Runners, but I will Never be "One of Them". Bad Knees, Bad Back, etc. Although my Back and Knees are MUCH Better, I will not risk the impact Running would have on them.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Walking is just fine!
  • dimatt2576
    Options
    Yes! I started logging my food and walking a year ago. I have lost 45 pounds and have been maintaining for 3 months. I exercise but I NEVER run. I can't since I had my hip replaced some time back. I walk, hike, do some strength training and have recently added water aerobics. I also got a fit bit which tracks my steps, it's amazing how motivating that is when you can see the numbers go up each day. It just encourages me to walk more like parking further away from the store or when I take a break at work instead of sitting and visiting I walk around the building. As long as you monitor your food and maintain moderate exercise you'll lose.:smile: