Men and Zumba!

Options
I just had to share this story! So for the most part the response as a Zumba instructor that I get from men is that Zumba is not a workout, it's a dainty girls class, you know, all we do is wiggle around and shake are butts? Well, last night I had a man come into my class. I am talking a man's man. Beer guzzling, truck driving, and a relatively fit man. When I first heard that he wanted to take my class, I thought ok everyone must be drinking and they are busting my chops. Oh no, he came into my class and danced his butt off! He was sweating by the beginning of the second song and kept exclaiming "HOLY S*@T!" after each song ended. I heard everything from, "Oh that one had too many moves in it", to "that was hard! Is the next one easy?" Of course the ladies gave a good natured ribbing. He said he had an awesome workout, I kicked his butt and he'd be back next week with a buddy!

Moral of the story? Men...you need to give Zumba a try! :)

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Zumba would be contrary to my goals. I want a stiff rigid trunk, not one that wobbles. I want to lift hundreds of pounds not dance. I want to be strong not light on my feet.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than the hamster wheel.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    My opinion is that men want to build strength and muscles. So they are more interested in Boot camp/ crossfit type classes and heavy weights.

Zumba is good for cardio, heart health, and sweating off calories.

But it won't give guys the guns/ muscles they want...

So don't think you'll get a rush of men into Zumba...
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I dragged my hubby last week to one of my classes. He had to admit it was a hell of a workout!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There has never been a man in any of my classes... But I know all the ladies would love to have one ;)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I got ready for Army Ranger School using aerobics as part of my fitness routine and I was normally the only guy in the class. But it worked.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No.
    You know how women are always posting here about how they are intimidated to venture into the free-weights part of the gym because it is all guys?
    Same thing.
    Only, we don't admit to being intimidated as well as women do . . . which makes trying something different and unconventional, for a male, well nigh impossible.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Love that! Until they do it they have no idea haha. I do the intermediate classes usually and though the advanced couldn't work me much harder but yup it worked me so freaking hard! So much fun and it's great exercise!
  • jo69
    jo69 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Zumba is no joke, it's a serious workout!! The moves are awesome....
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military, one morning for PT we met at a gym and the captain's wife came out and said she was going to lead us through aerobics. Everyone started laughing and making jokes. She torched us for about 40 minutes, and at the end, no one was laughing anymore!

However, it is still aerobics, and not something I'm interested in, I can get the same results doing other more masculine exercises. Same with Zumba. Sorry, I'm a lifelong alpha-male, I'm beyond help, lol!
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Zumba was okay. Hot woman instructors on the DVDs and I did sweat from doing the Zumba dancing stuff but I have "two left feet" so I started using other DVD workout routines.
    ginatanya.jpg:love:
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    dancer1178 is right Zumba is for anyone... That is contrary to what a lot of guys think, Zumba is not for wimps...

It is an actual workout... Zumba has improved my life for the better. When I started Zumba in January 2012, my heart's efficiency rating was only 27%... By December 2012, my heart's efficiency rating improved to 48%... In addition, my heart is less enlarged than it was in January 2012...

In fact, I am such a fan of Zumba that on May 2, 2013, I had gone through the Zumba Basic 1 Instructor Training...
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As a guy who does aerobics, I have enjoyed the few zumba classes I've done. But the success of zumba is a lot more dependent on the participants and instructor than other classes (i.e. cardio kickbox, step, bootcamp). If I were to get more guys to do aerobics, I would not have them do zumba first.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    The Zumba class i took had 3 men in it, 2 just like you described and one younger (20 ish), and very fit.

I thought it was cool to see men in the class and they knew the steps better than a lot of the women there so they must go every week.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Women tend to like a man who can (or isn't afraid to , even if he doesn't necessarily know how to) dance ... Remember that.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fun to watch, but I got two left feet. Y'all would kick my *kitten* anyways,
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Quite a few men take classes at the studio i attend, including fireman!! Took awhile but they shake their tailfeathers quite nicely. ..
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used to do it with my wife at home. Fun! But I would not go to a normal class.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It's the same situation with Cardio Baladi. A poor guy got laughed at for asking if he could try (we were waiting for the previous class to finish and the door is next to the weights). I lit into the guys that laughed and told them that unless they wanted to take the class and find out what it was about they'd best shut their yaps. They were shocked that I spoke up I think but at least they were as embarassed as they made the guy feel.