NO MCDONALDS

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I gave up McDonalds 6 years ago..it's garbage

I feel bad for people who still eat this crap.

I feel bad for people who feel the need to eliminate specific foods from their diet to be healthy
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Meh.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post went south so fast. We're supposed to be applauding this person for their personal victory. Who the heck hijacked this thread.

Everyone's an expert on here right? Well guess what? Every field has experts that disagree on things. So stop the arguing, agree to disagree, do what works for you and move on.

Arguing on the internet is just childish.

Can't we just go back to the world of support, rainbows, flowers, bunnies, and glitter?

I will always agree with everything southrndream says. :love:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! It's like a giant binge trigger for me.

I applaud those who moderation works for. Moderation for me, not a working concept. For me that's like telling an alcoholic to just drink responsibly. It's just going to sink me.

Will I just never ever have fast food - doubt it. I do place friends and family first. Will I avoid it when I have time to do better. yep. Will I try to avoid it for simple convenience... yes. It is not a necessary thing to consume and it contributes to my problem. Kudos to those who can resist the urge to order the mega sized everything. I'm not that person. I'm an eater... a big eater. I know what sets off the cascade of horrible binging for me.

I'm not attacking fast food or clean eaters - why can't we all just get along? Makes me sad that she was so proud and a few "my way or the highway" folks jumped all over it like rabid wolves. Let it go man. Not everyone agrees with me. I don't care... They can make their own decisions. It's okay to disagree, but do it with respect.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Makes me sad that she was so proud and a few "my way or the highway" folks jumped all over it like rabid wolves. Let it go man. Not everyone agrees with me. I don't care... They can make their own decisions. It's okay to disagree, but do it with respect.

To be fair, it was really not the OP but someone referring to McD's as "poison" that brought that out.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Kraft Singles

Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, CHEESE CULTURE, ANNATTO AND PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR), ENZYMES, VITAMIN D3. CONTAINS: MILK.

Smart Balance Buttery Spread (15 oz)

Ingredients (21):
    Oil Blend Natural (Palm Fruit, Soybean(s), Canola, Olive Oil) , Water, Contains less than 22% of Salt, Whey from Milk, Monoglycerides of Vegetable Fatty Acids, Sorbitan Ester of Fatty Acids, Soybean(s) Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Lactic Acid, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Di Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Beta Carotene

Congrats to OP for sticking to a goal. Whether or not we all agree or disagree with the motivations behind the goal are moot.

Life's too short to not make a homemade breakfast sandwich with all the joys that are real cheese and real butter.

Cuts the ingredient list down by quite a bit!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Kraft Singles

Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, CHEESE CULTURE, ANNATTO AND PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR), ENZYMES, VITAMIN D3. CONTAINS: MILK.

Ingredients (21):
    Oil Blend Natural (Palm Fruit, Soybean(s), Canola, Olive Oil) , Water, Contains less than 22% of Salt, Whey from Milk, Monoglycerides of Vegetable Fatty Acids, Sorbitan Ester of Fatty Acids, Soybean(s) Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Lactic Acid, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Di Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Beta Carotene

Congrats to OP for sticking to a goal. Whether or not we all agree or disagree with the motivations behind the goal are moot.

Life's too short to not make a homemade breakfast sandwich with all the joys that are real cheese and real butter.

Turns out ingredients lists don't make you fat or unhealthy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on moderation and allowing myself treats more often. Someone offered me cookies the other day, and I reacted as if they were offering me poison. lol gotta work on that.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Kraft Singles

Ingredients (21):

Turns out ingredients lists don't make you fat or unhealthy.

I've already spent way too long arguing with you on past forum posts. :)

The original point here was someone said if you make the sandwich at home you have pretty much the same ingredient list.

We use either Icelandic butter or Kate's Butter (from Maine) and it's just cultured cream and sea salt. For cheese we use whatever we have on hand but it's just cheese.

So if you use real cheese and real butter the ingredient list is 31+ items shorter (the + is for the artificial and natural flavors which they do not have to list by law).
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting a goal you set.

It's not "poison" nor really bad. A 300 calories sandwich is not excessive for a meal. And yes they use real eggs, cheese and ham, the same you would buy at a store.

It's positive for the OP to avoid if McDonald's is her vice and derails her from losing weight, but McDonald's is hardly poison.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I highly disagree, but each to their own. You eat McD's everyday and I'll eat fresh foods from the farmers markets everyday and we'll see who dies first.

Probably you, because with 90 lbs to lose you're much more likely to get a host of diseases than someone like ninerbuff or me.

Of course, you're on MFP and you're trying to lose weight to change that. That's great. However, demonizing McDonald's by claiming it causes people to die if they consume it responsibly is just silly hogwash that does no one any good.

I find that people are much more likely to remain compliant in their weight loss/calorie management if they have a healthy view of food. That includes allowing themselves to eat food they enjoy, like McDonald's, without considering it evil poison. Virtually all of the most successful people I know have such a view, and almost everyone who demonizes fast food like you do are quite far from their goals.

tl;dr Eating McDonald's, even every day, will not shorten your lifespan if you do so responsibly.

I don't have 90 lbs to lose. Where do you get that from?
  • jonnythan
    Options

It's not "poison" nor really bad. A 300 calories sandwich is not excessive for a meal. And yes they use real eggs, cheese and ham, the same you would buy at a store.

It's positive for the OP to avoid if McDonald's is her vice and derails her from losing weight, but McDonald's is hardly poison.

IDEA Fitness member

I highly disagree, but each to their own. You eat McD's everyday and I'll eat fresh foods from the farmers markets everyday and we'll see who dies first.

Probably you, because with 90 lbs to lose you're much more likely to get a host of diseases than someone like ninerbuff or me.

Of course, you're on MFP and you're trying to lose weight to change that. That's great. However, demonizing McDonald's by claiming it causes people to die if they consume it responsibly is just silly hogwash that does no one any good.

I find that people are much more likely to remain compliant in their weight loss/calorie management if they have a healthy view of food. That includes allowing themselves to eat food they enjoy, like McDonald's, without considering it evil poison. Virtually all of the most successful people I know have such a view, and almost everyone who demonizes fast food like you do are quite far from their goals.

tl;dr Eating McDonald's, even every day, will not shorten your lifespan if you do so responsibly.

The ticker in your profile.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh yeah. I dont track my weight that's all. Still, it's what's inside that counts. Just because someone weighs more than you, doesn't mean you are healthier than they are.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jonnythan
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh yeah. I dont track my weight that's all. Still, it's what's inside that counts. Just because someone weighs more than you, doesn't mean you are healthier than they are.

Can you point to anything in particular that would cause someone who eats McD's to die faster than someone who is otherwise identical but eats the same nutrients from "healthy" or "clean" foods?

Maybe some sort of health marker or something quantifiable would be nice.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Good job on passing it up!

I love McD's every once in a while, but I sometimes make my own egg mcmuffins at home.
    English muffin, toasted
    A little butter on the muffin
    Fried egg
    A piece of ham or sausage patty.

Super easy and you know exactly what's going in it (except for "exactly" what's in the sausage...lol).
    It's only about 300 calories.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    wow you have willpower...I on the other hand have been there twice in the last two weeks and taco bell...my youngest daughter loves fast food and during her time in summer camp I do give in to her and let her have it at least once a week but when we go there I can't resist and eat there too lol....anyway that is great news for you that you resisted!!
  • shirleycatt
    shirleycatt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started making a smoothie for my drive in! It really helps me :)
  • tarashley13
    tarashley13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Proud of you. I do that EVERY morning. Fight the urge for fast food breakfast. That darn Egg McMuffin! Luckily, since I leave my home so late, my McDonald line is so long I won't have time to get my food and make it to work in time.

That and the cost are the only reasons I don't start every day with an Egg McMuffin.

I'm unsure if this is suppose to be encouraging or not. lol
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I still haven't forgiven them for the atrocity that is the "McDouble." Give me a real double cheeseburger with TWO slices of cheese - not one.

Um the double cheeseburger still on the menu. The McDouble is a new, separate item.

Let me clarify - the atrocity of taking the double cheeseburger off of the dollar menu and replacing with "McDouble."

I was SO pissed when this happened!!!! Just give me my damn extra slice of cheese! :grumble:

I don't need the extra slice of cheese but I was super pissed when they took the egg off the $1 sausage muffin
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Awesome job to you. This is not the time nor place to bring in everyone's personal opinions about fast food and whether it is healthy or unhealthy or should be consumed or not. I can only guess where the OP is coming from.

I still eat fast food because it's convenient and Taco Bell will always have a special place in my heart. However, sometimes I will get a Big Mac or Crunchwrap Supreme and it starts there. It's my trigger food. I drink it with a Diet Pepsi and realize how delicious this food is. Then I go home to make dinner and can only think of how much better the delicious fast food tastes. Then I get to thinking every meal should taste this fabulous so then I start eating out more and more and more.

While I could potentially stay in my calorie and macros goals consuming these foods, it tends to cause a downward spiral. It becomes a huge addiction for me. Is it possible for people to have more control and eat it daily or however much? Yes. But if that's the OP's goal and they are trying to reduce their intake, then hell yeah for them. Is this not THEIR NSV?