Why is everybody so "gaga" over kale?

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
I am contemplating buying some this every from the grocer.

And how do you cook it? use it? eat?

Replies

• pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have never had it but decided I am going to try and see if I like it. I read in an article that it is good to rub some olive oil into the leaves and then bake it at 375 for 10-15 min and it turns crunchy like chips. Sounds a bit kooky to me but I may try it just to see.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just made kale chips for the first time, last week. They're DELICIOUS! Like the previous post said, wash them, pull apart in pieces (keep them semi-large, they will shrink in size), toss in a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper (if desired) and bake. For me, they were best when baked at 400deg and 25min. Enjoy!

Oh, and if you've ever had the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden... there is kale in there. So it's great in soups and all types of ways :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I avoid it at all costs. It tastes just like I think gold fish food would taste.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it's such a "thing", but I like it. I like it either with a little oil rubbed on, and baked (aka kale chips), or I like adding it to pasta for the last few minutes of cooking time.

ETA: It has a tougher texture than, say, spinach, so bear that in mind when cooking.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Because sometimes accidentally ingesting sea weed in the ocean isn't enough
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Because it's hard to think of words that start with K when playing scrabble. For that reason alone I like kale.
  • katyking52
    Options
    I LOVE kale in my smoothies, and I use my dehydrator with a little olive oil and spices for kale chips. Did I mention that I LOVE it in smoothies? :)
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kale in my smoothies, and I use my dehydrator with a little olive oil and spices for kale chips. Did I mention that I LOVE it in smoothies? :)

I put spinach in my smoothies but I understand Kale is a bit tougher. Does it blend up nicely? Does it totally affect the flavor of the smoothie?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Does it have a strong flavor? I was thinking about adding kale to my salad greens (spinach, red/green leaf lettuce, romaine). Does kale have a "strong" flavor like collard greens?
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with anything green (supertaster :s) but I had some store-bought cheesy kale chips that were awesome! It's not real cheese, they're vegan and also have cashews in the paste. I found a recipe on Pinterest and my nutritional yeast arrived today so I'm going to give it a try this weekend!

Now in any other form, I'd probably say no. LOL
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Does it have a strong flavor? I was thinking about adding kale to my salad greens (spinach, red/green leaf lettuce, romaine). Does kale have a "strong" flavor like collard greens?
    It doesn't have a very strong flavour (to me) but I wouldn't personally use it in salads, as it's a bit tough to chew on raw.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I steam kale and add salt. It tastes something like wild cabbage and grows into the winter. It is extremely good for you and is in the family of green vegetables that includes broccoli, cabbage, and collards. I like to eat kale with steamed butternut squash and lentils.

From wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale

Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. Kale is a source of two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin.[5] Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties.[6] Boiling decreases the level of sulforaphane; however, steaming, microwaving, or stir frying do not result in significant loss.[7] Along with other brassica vegetables, kale is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.[8][9] Kale has been found to contain a group of resins known as bile acid sequestrants, which have been shown to lower cholesterol and decrease absorption of dietary fat. Steaming significantly increases these bile acid binding properties.[10]
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love everything and Kale chips made me gag. I would not recommend them.

I like it when cooking, I try to use a little kale and a little spinach. The texture is a little 'rougher', so the combination of the two works really well for me.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I put it in my smoothies also! It takes a little bit longer to blend up but once done I can't taste it at all!
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    I eat it everyday. Part of my lunch is a salad. Half spinach, half kale. I throw some salt, red peppers, ground turkey and half a tablespoon of flaxseed oil on it. You get used to it. I enjoy it now. Much better than just eating lettuce. Way more nutrients in it.
  • Barefoot115
    Barefoot115 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love it! I make a kale salad with a little olive oil and lemon juice. You have to "massage" the kale to soften it a bit, then I add red onion, almonds and whatever else I feel like adding. I also love Kale "chips". take the leaves place on a cookie sheet spray lightly with olive oil and bake til crispy. Another use, in my morning smoothie. Today I had 1 cup Kale, 1 sm. banana, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/2 green apple, one scoop vanilla protein powder, and 1 cup almond milk...blend and DELICIOUS!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Because It's delicious when you rub it with bacon fat and bake it into chips.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's horrible. I would rather gnaw my own foot off and eat that.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hhmmm....now I am curious as well to try! I have never been tempted by Kale (I don't know why), this must be contagious :D
    I have never had it but decided I am going to try and see if I like it. I read in an article that it is good to rub some olive oil into the leaves and then bake it at 375 for 10-15 min and it turns crunchy like chips. Sounds a bit kooky to me but I may try it just to see.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kale is a nutritional power house. I have it raw in salads or I wilt it with some olive oil, just like spinach.

From WebMD:
    Kale is a Nutritional Powerhouse

One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.

Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients.

Carotenoids and flavonoids are the specific types of antioxidants associated with many of the anti-cancer health benefits. Kale is also rich in the eye-health promoting lutein and zeaxanthin compounds.

Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw.

Super-Rich in Vitamin K

Eating a diet rich in the powerful antioxidant vitamin K can reduce the overall risk of developing or dying from cancer, according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Vitamin K is abundant in kale but also found in parsley, spinach, collard greens, and animal products such as cheese.

Vitamin K is necessary for a wide variety of bodily functions, including normal blood clotting, antioxidant activity, and bone health.

But too much vitamin K can pose problems for some people. Anyone taking anticoagulants such as warfarin should avoid kale because the high level of vitamin K may interfere with the drugs. Consult your doctor before adding kale to your diet.

Kale might be a powerhouse of nutrients but is also contains oxalates, naturally occurring substances that can interfere with the absorption of calcium. Avoid eating calcium-rich foods like dairy at the same time as kale to prevent any problems.