Farmer's Market, I am excited!

Options
Pearsquared
Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
I'm going to the Farmer's Market this weekend. What do you look for when you go? Any habits or strategies for getting good, fresh fruits and vegetables?

I'm walking there, so I won't be able to buy a whole lot. It's about 1.25 miles away. However, I am bringing a tote for easier carrying.

There will likely be plenty of cherries - usually they're at their ripest right after our Cherry Festival (which is kind of funny, honestly).

Replies

• rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have made plans to go to my first ever Farmer's Market this Saturday! I am kind of excited about it. Hopefully, they have lots of fruits and veggies. I am going to be watching you replies here :)
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We go every weekend and hit up two different ones. I always get fresh veggies, peaches, blueberries and tomatoes. We also get fresh baked breads, spices, and lots of cheese and soap. They also have local, free range meats too if you are a meat eater.
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    talk to the farmers about their growing practices. a lot of times the ones that arent certified organic will be more organic than the ones that are, they just dont have the money to get certified. ask them "do you spray?". walk around and compare before you buy.
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Make a list of veggies and fruits you would like to buy, helps to be more focused, but do not limit yourself to the list. When I am at a new to me market, I like to spend some time walking around,talking to farmers and then decide from whom to buy. I always try to find something new or different,you can always ask how to prepare it. At my regular farmer's market, I already know who has the best tomatoes, the most fragrant herbs, the best peaches, etc and I slowly make my way around the market to purchase from people I know now for 9 years.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like to find things i don't normally buy... like to meet a new vegetable. I also stock up on my leafy things like kale...

My favorite part is meeting the people who make my food. I have a bad habit of getting chatty, but that's part of the outing for me.

These days i get a CSA basket every week, so my farmer market needs are way down. I also make my own bread and baked goods...

It can also be a great place to find local organic (or organic-ish) meat. but it tends to be expensive.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Look in the trucks if you can. Check to make sure the produce is actually locally grown. Here in my area most all it is purchased at the local produce market.... The same place grocery stores get there produce. Then sold at a higher price to an unsuspecting public.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I get strawberries
    lemons
    cucumbers
    corn on cob
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I work at a farmer's market. I would say make sure to ask whether the produce was grown at the farm (not everything is local) and whether it is in season (some produce is still from storage right now).