I have NOOOOO self control.

Options
2»

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    busy in the pool..

Swimming always makes me ravenous, it seems to burn a lot of calories.

maybe have some yummy/healthy snack at work? or protein bars. I find protein and fats to be filling,
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    just posted this on another thread but applies here HTH

first of all as others have said are you eating enough? calculate your TDEE and eat to that (eat clean though)otherwise by evening you're going to be hungry and make bad choices

Try eating more protein and good fats (like oily fish) these can help you feel full

And make sure you're getting enough water at least 2 litres a day

If you're still reaching for the snacks something else is going on. I'm terrible for snacking when bored - try going for a walk or busting out some press-ups etc to take your mind off it plus if you do 'crack' at least you've earnt some of those calories

Finally you've got to ask yourself what do you want more this snack or to reach your goals? I try and ask myself this every time I'm tempted - sometimes the snack wins lol

but basically you have can results or excuses pick one #toughlove
  • Jbaby187
    Jbaby187 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i hear you! i'm good at work during the day, then BLAM. get home and lose all control. or can't say no to pop. or too busy so I will just grab take out. the list goes on and on. i'm sick right now and can't wait to feel better so i can go at it again. i'm not using my illness as an excuse to eat more, but it's hard to stay on track when you're sick and/or sad. sometimes i just can't stop myself from the bad food/drinks. it's an addiction for sure.

I can honestly say when I am at home I don't really have the urges as much. (probably because I don't have anything too bad in my house & I am always busy in the pool) My worst time of day is between the hours of 8:30-5. We have so much delicious and totally bad for you junk in the office. I also work in downtown SF and there are sooo many wonderful places to eat and c'mon who really wants to pay as much for a salad as you can something totally desirable.. lol

This stuck out to me--what ARE your calories in vs. calories out? In other words, how much would you say you aim to eat, how much do you tend to actually eat, and what sort of exercise are you doing? I have a really, really hard time registering hunger from years of anorexia, but swimming--even walking around in a pool--still gets me hungry.

You just started, so I'm guessing you're set at too low of calories, making you want more to eat. It's very possible it could be more mental/emotional, but it'd be helpful to know if your "nooooo self control" isn't actually your body wanting to fuel itself.

Ok, I am trying to stay under 1,200 and it totally sucks. Honestly even though I am at 1,200 goal I am more like 1,500. I have never watched nor cared what I weighed because I was for the most part pretty active and my weight seemed just fine. I have noticed in the last 8 months my body is changing. Like I said I always feel hungry even before I started watching what I was eating. I think this is what made me realize like ‘Hey you need to get a grasp on things here.’ I am not an emotional person what-so-ever so that idea goes out the window. I don’t understand how could I mentally make myself feel famished? but, who knows? I recently started getting back in the gym if not that swimming or jogging. I honestly haven't paid to much attention on my calories going out.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was feeling that way and I am looking at what I am eating and when.
    Yesterday I was very hungry and went WAY OVER MY CALORIES (haven't logged them-not sure how--I might just add 1,000).

I noticed that when I have cereal w/milk for breakfast that I get hungry.

I have been drinking more water, which is helping.
  • Jbaby187
    Options
    Hi, take ONE bite of what you want then walk away and do something, anything, it will be off your mind and you can move on---here is to a new you,

See this is where the no control kicks in! I can't stop at one bite. I am better off not even tempting myself.
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    How is it that no matter what I eat good or bad, I constantly feel STARVING and that I must eat. I cant lie I love food but, I don't ever recalling having this problem. I talk to my friends about it and I get the jokingly answer of you 'You're pregnant' Is there anyone who knows the trick to settling this constant urge to eat? HEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP.

*Drink a lot more water
    *Drink protein shakes, they'll help keep you full
    *Try eating 5-6 times a day (small, not normal sized meals). It'll not only frequently fill you, but it'll boost your metabolism
    *It might just be me personally, but I find when I eat breakfast I don't get too hungry until it's actually time for lunch.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    i hear you! i'm good at work during the day, then BLAM. get home and lose all control. or can't say no to pop. or too busy so I will just grab take out. the list goes on and on. i'm sick right now and can't wait to feel better so i can go at it again. i'm not using my illness as an excuse to eat more, but it's hard to stay on track when you're sick and/or sad. sometimes i just can't stop myself from the bad food/drinks. it's an addiction for sure.

I can honestly say when I am at home I don't really have the urges as much. (probably because I don't have anything too bad in my house & I am always busy in the pool) My worst time of day is between the hours of 8:30-5. We have so much delicious and totally bad for you junk in the office. I also work in downtown SF and there are sooo many wonderful places to eat and c'mon who really wants to pay as much for a salad as you can something totally desirable.. lol

This stuck out to me--what ARE your calories in vs. calories out? In other words, how much would you say you aim to eat, how much do you tend to actually eat, and what sort of exercise are you doing? I have a really, really hard time registering hunger from years of anorexia, but swimming--even walking around in a pool--still gets me hungry.

You just started, so I'm guessing you're set at too low of calories, making you want more to eat. It's very possible it could be more mental/emotional, but it'd be helpful to know if your "nooooo self control" isn't actually your body wanting to fuel itself.

Ok, I am trying to stay under 1,200 and it totally sucks. Honestly even though I am at 1,200 goal I am more like 1,500. I have never watched nor cared what I weighed because I was for the most part pretty active and my weight seemed just fine. I have noticed in the last 8 months my body is changing. Like I said I always feel hungry even before I started watching what I was eating. I think this is what made me realize like ‘Hey you need to get a grasp on things here.’ I am not an emotional person what-so-ever so that idea goes out the window. I don’t understand how could I mentally make myself feel famished? but, who knows? I recently started getting back in the gym if not that swimming or jogging. I honestly haven't paid to much attention on my calories going out.

I'd say you're not eating enough then, for sure. Swimming burns a pretty decent amount of calories, hence the "hungry after pool" feeling so many people get. 1,500 might not be enough for you with your amount of exercise. Try looking up your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 20%--that result should be a good daily goal for your total calories. People tout "TDEE-20%" a bunch because it generally results in feeling content + still losing weight.

Additionally, check your macros (or macronutrients: carbs, fat and protein); protein and fat tend to do a good job of satiating hunger. Don't be afraid of upping those goals in your MFP diary (MFP tends to set them lower).
  • Jbaby187
    Options
    How is it that no matter what I eat good or bad, I constantly feel STARVING and that I must eat. I cant lie I love food but, I don't ever recalling having this problem. I talk to my friends about it and I get the jokingly answer of you 'You're pregnant' Is there anyone who knows the trick to settling this constant urge to eat? HEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP.

*Drink a lot more water
    *Try eating 5-6 times a day (small, not normal sized meals). It'll not only frequently fill you, but it'll boost your metabolism
    *It might just be me personally, but I find when I eat breakfast I don't get too hungry until it's actually time for lunch.

I am most definitely going to try the protein shakes. I've heard a lot about them. Do you have any suggestions as to which are the most effective and most importantly taste best?
  • Jbaby187
    Options

I'd say you're not eating enough then, for sure. Swimming burns a pretty decent amount of calories, hence the "hungry after pool" feeling so many people get. 1,500 might not be enough for you with your amount of exercise. Try looking up your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 20%--that result should be a good daily goal for your total calories. People tout "TDEE-20%" a bunch because it generally results in feeling content + still losing weight.

Additionally, check your macros (or macronutrients: carbs, fat and protein); protein and fat tend to do a good job of satiating hunger. Don't be afraid of upping those goals in your MFP diary (MFP tends to set them lower).

I will have to look into those. Like I said I am soooooooooooo new to this I don't know nothing about anything.. LOL I really appreciate your help.
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options

*Drink a lot more water

I am most definitely going to try the protein shakes. I've heard a lot about them. Do you have any suggestions as to which are the most effective and most importantly taste best?

I drink Vi-Shape. I think you have to get them online but they taste really good. I can't describe it, they're really smooth though. You can add flavor packets if you don't like the original flavor. The flavor packets come in chocolate, strawberry, and other flavors.
    They're only 90 calories for one serving too.
  • micj2389
    micj2389 Posts: 1
    Options
    TWO TIPS

1) Chug a glass of water (yes even if it bed time!)
    2) The Apple Test:
    if you feel the urge to eat something,,,Ask yourself if an apple will cure your hunger. If the answer is yes, then eat the apple (or something similar). If the answer is no, well either you missed dinner or you should first try eating an apple, wait a little while, and then see if you are still 'hungry'
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

That's why your hungry silly :) 1200 is the lowest you should go, and then you should be eating back all those cals you burn off during exercise :) I'm not sure what your weight is, but you look rather healthy right now... you could just pick up a progressive lifting routine without lowering your cals much at all below maintenance and just do a recomposition of your body :) You'll look better, feel better, and won't be near as hungry ;)

If you do have some actual weight to lose you could try a smaller deficit at around 1500 while still eating back your exercise cals :) That will give you a lb per week loss on average while also shaping your body :)
  • Jbaby187
    Options

*Drink a lot more water

I drink Vi-Shape. I think you have to get them online but they taste really good. I can't describe it, they're really smooth though. You can add flavor packets if you don't like the original flavor. The flavor packets come in chocolate, strawberry, and other flavors.
    They're only 90 calories for one serving too.

Awesome I will let you know how they work. Thank you!
  • lannabelle
    lannabelle Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am hungry most of the time. Even when I'm at my goal weight I still feel hungry every hour or two. Drink lots of water. I also like a nice cup of green tea. I try to always have healthy snacks at hand, like fresh fruit, veggies or fat free yogurt. Part of my problem is when these health snacks aren't nearby, I will get desperate and eat the first yummy looking thing - usually cookies/muffins in the office kitchen.
  • cdn_girl
    cdn_girl Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been there! You need to drink alot of water through out the day and also make sure you are getting enough protein!