Cant get away from 200 Pounds

Mrbackslap
Mrbackslap Posts: 145
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I just cant seem to go any lower lately.
I lowered my protein from 200g to 160g.
Thought maybe I was getting too much protein that hasn't done it.

I'm eating anywhere from 1800-2200 daily weekends is a tossup, some are good some are really bad.
I workout 4-5 days out the week most workouts I can burn usually 600-1000 calories depending the day.

Forgot to mention I'm 6'2 and sorta large framed =P

I refuse to eat 1500 calories like mfp says too.
I keep seeing people on here pretty much living off air and I refuse that.

Its been a month since my last weigh-in and nothing has changed.
I'm going through this yoyo thing of 195-200-203 pounds.

Its not muscles as far as I can see cause Im definitely not bulking anything.

any Idea?

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    The only thing I can really think to say is, if what you're doing isn't working, do something different!! Experiment with eating less, or eating more to compensate for exercise calories lost..... Change up your workouts..... Eat different foods..... Drink lots more water.... ??? Just some general thoughts.
  • roddernation
    roddernation Posts: 48 Member
    Heya!!!

Just a thought, have you looked at your body fat percentage? Maybe you are looking fat slowly but gaining some mass. Are you feeling more fit?

I can understand your frustration with lowering your calories too much. Really hard to enjoy a certain amount of food and flavor under 1500 cals. Unless you get full on lower cal "filler" foods and enjoy the food you like.

Measure yourself too and get the numbers for your neck, arms, waist, etc.

Best of luck, right there with ya
  • MyYing
    MyYing Posts: 13 Member
    When you hit a plateau, you have to do something drastic to "re-start" your body. The body is very smart, you have to keep it guessing your next move to keep losing weight. It'll adapt itself to your routine and activities thus hitting the plateau. I myself had just gone through one some weeks back, did some researching, and decided to take the slashing-of-calories to jump start it. The first day I did that, I started losing weight again. I hope this helps.
  • I drink about a gallon or more daily.
    Ive measured myself and everything is still the same.
    Im thinking I might just have to do a different routine or workout even harder.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    I hit about a 3-week plateau at one point, so I tried taking a week off of MFP so I wouldn't feel compelled to watch my calories... it broke my plateau, I'm thinking because it completely re-fuelled me so I was able to work out harder. In theory, you could do the opposite, too... cut your calories down to 1500 for a week and your body might boost the fat burn.

Keep in mind that you might not see the changes on your own body--sounds crazy, but I've noticed that I don't see where I've lost weight as obviously as others do... so just because you don't see muscles doesn't mean you aren't bulking up. I'd recommend a body fat % analysis, if you can find someone qualified to do it. And, you said you're 6'2", so you'll end up weighing more than "average" anyways.

Stick with it--sometimes it just takes time for a plateau to break...
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    fat intake might be to high,you allso might want to try 20 jumping jacks real fast than lift weight s you might not have your hart pumping enough
  • My fat intake is very low I usually try eating whole foods and healthier choices.
    My sodium is low and my carbs are medium my protein is very high.

I pretty much got it balanced out =/

i'll try to lower my calories for one week, but boy is that gonna hurt and im thinking I might not be fueled enough to workout.
    Im doing P90x plus I'll have days where I'll go to the Gym and ill throw in a jog or a long walk here and there.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I looked at your food diary, you seem to be eating okay. (Maybe relying a little too much on supplements instead of fresh fruits and veggies). If your supplements are protein drinks, then I think you should dial back the protein, but I don't think you should cut back your calories, but you need to try something different.

I was reading comments from IMAGYMRAT a while back who tried a 24 hour fast about 2 or 3 times a week. She DID NOT reduce her food intake, she just picked like a block of time to just drink water, and ate normally otherwise. I am putting what she said below:

Ok, so here I am, 3 weeks now into this program that the dieticians at our gym, guinea pigged me into. I'm not big on fasting, not at all, I work out hard and I don't want to lose muscle and what about replacing my protein afterwards? I'm just a HUGE skeptic. anyhow, i've been following Brad's plan for three weeks, and the reason I decided to let myself be volunteered is because Brad as well as being a dietician is also a bodybuilder, sooo, thought I'd give it a go. In three weeks i've dropped 2.4 pounds, I'm at 109 and a bit lbs, down from 112, I need to get to 108. Which I will. I can tell you it's the easiest fast i've ever done. Cause I don't feel like i'm fasting. I'm doing it 2x's a week. It's not for everyone, I don't count calories, I eat sensibly the rest of the time, and it's very important to follow some kind of resistance training program to get the full benefit. I actually have a ton of energy on fasting days. I've seen more lean muscle mass lately then i've seen in awhile. I think I actually may adapt this as a permanent way to lean for a competition. It beats the traditional way of dehydration and damn near starvation. I fast from 6:00p.m on the first day until 6:00p.m on the second day, then I eat normally. During the fast, I drink lots of water and no-cal juices. I'm really happy with my results, and for those of you who do fast, and are successful..I actually "get it" now. I'm very surprised to find that i'm putting friends and family through this program as well..it just works so very well. I sound like an infomercial..lol, it's all good, it's working for me! It's a quite simple and effective and safe way to get into a calorie deficit..without pain...the hardest part for me, was giving up my breakfast on the fast day, but then I just ate it for dinner:laugh: .
    just putting on option out there for people, it's working for me, not for everyone, especially if you're diabetic or if you plan on doing no resistance training, then definitely don't do it! If you're anti-fasting, as I actually once was, then that's ok too, we're all allowed our own opinions and strategies when it comes to getting those stubborn pounds off. :drinker: I'm happy to say, these few pounds that i've been struggling to get off since May..are gone! and for that it was worth my time.:wink:
    [/quote]

This might help, I have not tried it since I have not experienced a plateau yet.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    It sounds like you need to eat MORE. I know that sounds weird, but even though you are balenced out, you might not be eating enough or frequently enough. Try to eat more food. Up your calories and still do your exercise. Also consider having a freebie day.

I've been reading that when we are dieting strictly, our bodies really need a day of extra calories to help keep it out of "being bored" or starvation.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    I looked at your food diary, you seem to be eating okay. (Maybe relying a little too much on supplements instead of fresh fruits and veggies). If your supplements are protein drinks, then I think you should dial back the protein, but I don't think you should cut back your calories, but you need to try something different.

I was reading comments from IMAGYMRAT a while back who tried a 24 hour fast about 2 or 3 times a week. She DID NOT reduce her food intake, she just picked like a block of time to just drink water, and ate normally otherwise. I am putting what she said below:

Ok, so here I am, 3 weeks now into this program that the dieticians at our gym, guinea pigged me into. I'm not big on fasting, not at all, I work out hard and I don't want to lose muscle and what about replacing my protein afterwards? I'm just a HUGE skeptic. anyhow, i've been following Brad's plan for three weeks, and the reason I decided to let myself be volunteered is because Brad as well as being a dietician is also a bodybuilder, sooo, thought I'd give it a go. In three weeks i've dropped 2.4 pounds, I'm at 109 and a bit lbs, down from 112, I need to get to 108. Which I will. I can tell you it's the easiest fast i've ever done. Cause I don't feel like i'm fasting. I'm doing it 2x's a week. It's not for everyone, I don't count calories, I eat sensibly the rest of the time, and it's very important to follow some kind of resistance training program to get the full benefit. I actually have a ton of energy on fasting days. I've seen more lean muscle mass lately then i've seen in awhile. I think I actually may adapt this as a permanent way to lean for a competition. It beats the traditional way of dehydration and damn near starvation. I fast from 6:00p.m on the first day until 6:00p.m on the second day, then I eat normally. During the fast, I drink lots of water and no-cal juices. I'm really happy with my results, and for those of you who do fast, and are successful..I actually "get it" now. I'm very surprised to find that i'm putting friends and family through this program as well..it just works so very well. I sound like an infomercial..lol, it's all good, it's working for me! It's a quite simple and effective and safe way to get into a calorie deficit..without pain...the hardest part for me, was giving up my breakfast on the fast day, but then I just ate it for dinner:laugh: .
    just putting on option out there for people, it's working for me, not for everyone, especially if you're diabetic or if you plan on doing no resistance training, then definitely don't do it! If you're anti-fasting, as I actually once was, then that's ok too, we're all allowed our own opinions and strategies when it comes to getting those stubborn pounds off. :drinker: I'm happy to say, these few pounds that i've been struggling to get off since May..are gone! and for that it was worth my time.:wink:

This might help, I have not tried it since I have not experienced a plateau yet.
    [/quote]

This sounds really interesting to me. I may try this. I am not adverse to fasting, I have even fasted for spiritual reasons. I just have never fasted in a practical way before.
  • Hmm I dont like fasting and think it can be harmful.
    Plus my emotions deal with food =) I might go on a RAGE!

Labor day is coming up and I know ima eat and drink more then usual.
    First I'll try working out harder for the first week,
    If I feel its not the exercise ill give that 1/2 fast a shot.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Actually, I'm not able to either FAST or go lower than about a 400 calorie deficit myself!! I get SO hungry and unbalanced I would probably steal food from babies if I had to adhere to the food deficits that most people do so easily. (And may I add without better results than me.)

I get the best results when I don't exercise too hard and just have a small calorie deficit (like only 250 a day) AND eat all my exercise calories. But then again I am not going for a ripped physique, either. I went on vacation two weeks and actually lost one pound and continued to lose now that I am back to my normal routine! Try dialing back the intensity and maintain only a 1/2 pound per week deficit for a while and see what happens.

Also, VERY important. Processed foods, sugar, salt, aspertame, alcohol, msg, growth hormones, etc. ad infinitum INHIBIT weight loss. They combine with fat molecules in your body and then these fat cells are resistant to being an easy source of energy. Avoid additives, preservatives, artifical flavorings and fat/sugar substitutes!!!
  • if you are at one weight for a long time your body will fight to keep it on, try eating foods low on the glycemic index, your fiber intake is excellent along with your water.
    PDX90 is supposed to cause "muscle" confusion so your body doesn't get used to it, but it may benefit to change up your routine anyway to see if that helps, and eat every 3-4 hours.
    I am going through the fight right now I have not been able to go below 180 for a long time.
This discussion has been closed.