Gnocchi??

Options
2»

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I typically use a 2 cup potato:1 cup flour:1 egg ratio.

How you cook the potato will affect how much flour you need to use and how well the dough binds. It is better to bake the potato rather than boil it. Boiling the potato adds excess water to the potato which means extra flour is needed.

I agree with baking the potatoes rather than boiling. Here is a recipe that even has the nutritional info. I love gnocchi and making them with baked potatoes makes a huge difference in the texture and how much flour is needed.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Gnocchi-357258
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Never that much of a bother for me. But it is a left over dish. Left over mashed potatoes from meat loaf night. Too many cousins on a diet and skipped the mash potatoes at thanksgiving? Than Gnocchi night comming real soon. Never learned from a Italian, but saw someone on top chef making his grand mothers gnocchi recipe and thought it was looked a lot like making gordita shells which I was taught by someone's Mexican grandmother. No idea how athentic mine are but my homemade still always tastes better than store bought. Never heard of baking them. I always did the fork technic I saw on tv and put in water. No measuring I just make sure they bind well yet are not too dense
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I really love gnocchi and have made it by hand before, but I honestly can't say homemade is worth it compared to the kind you buy in a box.

If you make it the right way it soooooo is worth it.

All I know is my Grandma used to make it when I was younger and it was the most delicious thing in the world. Haven't had anything close since from anywhere.

I agree! The stuff you buy doesn't even come close to the light little gnocchi I make. I do use them though if I'm being lazy but they are a totally different kettle of fish.

I'm dying to try the sweet potato version someone posted!

I'd like to add if you decide to steam the potatoes make sure they are the big old ones and keep them in the skin whole till cooked, peel then use a ricer for better results than a potato masher.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I really love gnocchi and have made it by hand before, but I honestly can't say homemade is worth it compared to the kind you buy in a box.

If you make it the right way it soooooo is worth it.

All I know is my Grandma used to make it when I was younger and it was the most delicious thing in the world. Haven't had anything close since from anywhere.

I agree! The stuff you buy doesn't even come close to the light little gnocchi I make. I do use them though if I'm being lazy but they are a totally different kettle of fish.

I'm dying to try the sweet potato version someone posted!

I'd like to add if you decide to steam the potatoes make sure they are the big old ones and keep them in the skin whole till cooked, peel then use a ricer for better results than a potato masher.
    I love my potato ricer. I am a food gadget geek
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've done a pumpkin one before (had a mix of potato and pumpkin). Delish but time consuming

Was something like this

http://ourkitchengarden.net/2013/04/25/pumpkin-gnocchi-with-burnt-butter-and-sage/

Ditto what was said before. They're cooked when they rise to the top just sccop them off with a slotted spoon
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've made them with my dad before, not sure on measurements but we use flour, potato through a ricer, eggs, salt pepper and parmesan cheese. Sometime's they're too hard, sometimes too soft but omg when they're just right!!! lol
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Thank You!!!! Everyone!! especially the pictures posted and the link and well everything... I boiled my potatos so they likely got too water logged... i didnt let them cool enough and did not use enough flour .... and man oh man im so eager to try sweet potato gnocchi ... --->:happy: drooling i say! thank you everyone....

Is there anything else gnocchi can be made from?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I saved this recipe recently, but I haven't tried it yet:

http://www.effyeahitsvegan.com/1/post/2013/06/vegan-gnocchi.html

:laugh: I love that website title.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130301_194509.jpg

IMG_20130506_193936.jpg

Hot d@mn. Food p0rn.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130301_194509.jpg

IMG_20130506_193936.jpg

Hot d@mn. Food p0rn.

this guy posts amazing food! ... go check out that other link where everyone posts their meals, he has an amazing taste in food